“Great staff, great location. Would return.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Queen Kapiolani Hotel

Queen Kapiolani Hotel
Ranked #57 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Great staff, great location. Would return.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

Firstly, my review is for March 2013, but for some reason the drop down bar for 'when did you travel' is not allowing me to choose that date.
After been awake for over 24 hours and flying for a total of 17 hours we finally arrived at the Queen Kap at just after midnight local time. The staff upon arrival were helpful, polite and friendly. We were checked in and went to our room, the room itself was large, it had two double beds in, which we only required one. Unfortunately, the bathroom had a couple of cockroaches in and ants around and in the sink. Having lived a cold climate and an urbanised area I wasn't exactly used to things like that, although given the climate I understand roaches and ants are a thing, but not a desirable thing for travellers.

Going back down to the front desk asking if we could change rooms the concierge told us that unfortunately all rooms were booked out, but to come speak to the manager in the morning.

We spoke to the manager in the morning and he managed to change our room, and give us a 10% discount on our stay.
Luckily we were placed in a corner room on the 18th floor which allowed for stunning views of Diamond Head/The Zoo, and also the beach and ocean, but other reviews state this isn't always the case. Our original room was next door to this one which would have have great views of Diamond Head/The Zoo.

The location of the hotel is brilliant, The Zoo being directly over the road, Waikiki beach being a couple minutes walk away; And the hotel is ever so slightly out of the main area/strip of Honolulu which only takes a short walk; probably a 5/10 minute to get too.

As mentioned previously all the staff were polite and the staff at the front desk always acknowledged us and smiled whenever we were leaving or arriving at the hotel, on top of that the staff were friendly, helpful and efficient if we requested anything, and local information was given freely and very helpfully if needed, which made us feel like valued guests

I'd like to go back to Honolulu if given the chance and if I do I'd return to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DanimalXIII
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay and we truly appreciate your comments. It was wonderful to hear that upon arrival after midnight, the staff were helpful, polite and friendly. We truly apologize for the insects and have informed our pest control company to address this issue for they are a concern in this tropical climate.

As you mentioned, many of our guest appreciate the stunning views of Diamond Head from the corner units, not to mention the brilliant location, minutes from world famous Waikiki Beach and the main strip with shops and restaurants galore.

Again, thank you, for you are valued guest and if I may be of service during your next visit, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Ron

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (502)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Nowra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

Yes the Queen is a bit dated but I found her to be comfortable, clean and welcoming. Every member of staff that I interacted with were of the highest quality you could ask. We were greeted with a smile every time we passed the reception, requests made were attended to immediately and local information given freely when asked for recommendations. We had a room with a Diamond Head view and being opposite the zoo the monkeys were heard each morning calling for their breakfast. I found it ideally located at the end of the strip away from some of the noise that Waikiki is known for but still close enough within a 5 minute walk to the beach and shops. Our room was not large but 2 double beds and shower over a bath and balcony were all that we needed and honestly who goes to Waikiki to sit in their room. The pool area was great and happy hour every afternoon very welcome after a day shopping, swimming and sightseeing. If I ever get back there i would definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank lmaggie95
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us and we appreciate your comment of great location and great price, that you found the hotel to be comfortable, clean and welcoming. What we are most proud of, is that every member of staff that you interacted with, were of the highest quality you could ask. That you were greeted with a smile and all request were attended to immediately.

As you mentioned and most guest agree that the location is ideal, minutes from world famous Waikiki Beach, across the street from Honolulu Zoo and beautiful Kapiolani Park, with iconic Diamond Head in the background.

If I may be of assistance during your next visit, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

Our experience at The Queen was wonderful- Staff are amazing- very friendly and efficient, thanks Shane . Location was fantastic- Zoo end of Waikiki Beach, looking over Diamond Head and beach , not into other hotels. Third time back, Love it.....

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jo C
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay and we appreciate your comment of location, Staff, could not fault. That your experience at the Queen Kapiolani Hotel was wonderful.

As many of our guest have stated, the location is fantastic, in the quiet end of Waikiki, minutes from world famous Waikiki Beach, across the street from beautiful Kapiolani Park with iconic Diamond Head in the background.

What we enjoy most hearing is that the Staff are amazing - very friendly and efficient.

Again, Thank You for your comments and if I may be of assistance during your next visit, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

West Los Angeles, California, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

The location of the hotel is great. It is located right by the water and near "luxury row". If you have a car you can park in the zoo parking for $1/hr vs. the $25/day the hotel charges.

The rooms are not updated and quite old. Mattresses are uncomfortable.
The staff - 3 stars. Some don't even speak English that well.

Overall 3 stars because not a great atmosphere or amenities within the hotel inclusive of staff.

They didn't do much for us in service when birds nested in our room AC and then the new room would floor when showering.

Not great but you pay what you get for!

Room Tip: stay at least floor 10 or above.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Fred N
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay and we truly appreciate you comments. As you mentioned the location is great, on the quiet end of Waikiki, minutes from world famous Waikiki Beach, across the street from Honolulu Zoo and beautiful Kapiolani Park with iconic Diamond Head in the background.

We do apologize for the birds nesting in the room A/C and we should have offered you the option to move to another room. In regards to the Front Desk personnel not speaking English that well, she was an intern from Korea, learning how we service our guest. For your information, the entire Front Office Staff is comprised of English speaking individuals.

Again, please accept our most humble apology for not fulfilling your expectations and assure you that we will continue to improve our product and service to you, a valued Guest!

west hollywood,ca
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

I stayed at your hotel a few years ago and will not return. I booked a Ocean View room and it was not the one shown in your photograph. I could barely see the ocean and then only from my balcony. Whe I complained I was told since I was staying for two weeks they would not give me the room I paid for. I caught a sever cold on the plane so i was in no mood to move to another hotel. I picked this hotel because it is near the beach I perfer to go to. The lobby is nice as well as the location but I would perfer to stay at the other end of Waikiki with a beautiful ocean view than stay at your hotel with no view and a staff that is not that helpful. Not sure if Castle is still running your hotel but it seems their SOP to be rude and refuse to provide the room paid for. Ran into the same problem at another of their properties.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank whmike
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your stay that was a few years ago, and we truly apologize for not being able to fulfill your expectations of a ocean view room. If you could please email me your booking information, so that may look into your stay, it would be certainly appreciated. It is important that we fulfill our obligations and your expectations.

Thank you for the compliment regarding the nice lobby and location. Many of our guest appreciate being on the quiet end of Waikiki, minutes from world famous Waikiki Beach, across the street from Honolulu Zoo and beautiful Kapiolani park, with iconic Diamond Head
in the background.

Again, please accept our most humble apology if the Staff was not helpful in regards to your concerns and we will definitely review your situation upon receipt of your information.

Ron

Travellers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

This was a father daughter trip, we had a great time.

Great location, cheaper parking across the street, beach is a min walk, you are not stuck in traffic.
Nice clean hotel room, reasonable price, safe, polite staff, all around good. Have fun, don't complain about small things, you are in Hawaii, the tropics, you might find a small ant here or there, so what. Safe travels.

Room Tip: Stay above 4th floor
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
great location, parking, beach and food. Many of our guest appreciate the great location, minutes from world famous Waikiki Beach, across the street from Honolulu Zoo and Kapiolani Park, with iconic Diamond Head in the background. Not to mention all of the shopping and eating places on the main strip.

We further appreciate your comment of nice clean hotel room, reasonable price, safe, polite staff, all around good. We strive to provide a great guest experience to all of our visitors,
for Hawaii is a magical destination.

If I may be of assistance in booking your next visit, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Houston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

This is my third stay at the Queen Kap. This time, we were a party of 4 adults and 1 toddler. We bought 2 rooms for 3 nights. (spent the rest of our vacation in a rental house on the North shore)
The views are incredible and I wanted to give a higher rating on that alone but I cant because we had a major ant problem in our room. The first night in our room, I noticed about 20 ants in our bathroom. The next day, I started seeing them around the room as well. I went down and told someone at the front desk, but no one ever came. The next day, we were noticing the ants everywhere so I went back down to tell them again. A man came up and sprayed the poison in our room. By the time, my husband had even found 2 ants on his self. A few hours later, I asked him to come up and spray some different spots. That night, I got a sore throat and my husband was complaining about the smell for hours. Our guests in the other room didn't have any issues- it was just ours.
The valet guys were pretty good. There was several times that they were outstanding. I was a little slow getting into our SUV because I had to strap my toddler in each time and theres really no super quick way to do it. At one point, another SUV behind starting honking at us to move while I was leaning half way out of the car and trying to put my kid in. The valet driver went and told the other driver to calm down and that we were strapping a baby in. That was appreciated. There was a young guy (name starts with E) who needs to be trained on being a valet. Its a premium service normally and in most parts of the country its treated that way. He seemed to be new or confused on what to do. I'm sure his tips will improve and customers will be happier if he is trained.
We enjoyed the bake sale and loaded up on goodies during our stay.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank CCC1979
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay and we truly apologize with the problems with ants in your room. We are contracted with a national pest control company and will be meeting with their area manager regarding this problem. Again, please accept our most humble apologies.

We do appreciate your comments regarding the Valets being pretty good and several times outstanding in providing service to you. We do receive many positive comments regardind the service they provide and it is always good to acknowledge good service. In regards to the Valet that is training, we will definitely let the manager of the Valet company that we have contracted with.

Again, thank you, and if I may be of assistance in booking your next visit to our beautiful islands, please do not hesitate to give me a call.