“Very Disappointed!!!”

Ranked #61 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Very Disappointed!!!”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I am a local Kamaaina and our condo was being tented for the night....My husband and I were looking for a hotel close to home and work for the one night we needed to stay away from our place.

We decided to give Queen Kapiolani a try since I had done business with them and found their administrative staff very friendly and professional.

We got the Kamaaina rate which is great - I booked the hotel room on their website. The website claims to give you a visual view of what the room looks like and the view.

Well, first we were placed in the mezzanie - M9 was our room - AVOID this room at all cost. Your view will be of the alleyway facing the Hostels - where college students stay for $25.00 a day....LOVELY!!! - then you get to hear the lovely tunes of the garbage trucks in the morning...who needs an alarm clock. Inside the room there was a decorative iron print mark on the carpet.....and not even a single piece of art -work!

I understand the hotel was running at 100% capacity and we had a Kamaaina rate but when a customer is being placed in a room such as this one there should be a disclaimer stating the view and placement of the room and its up to the customer whether or not they decide to stay.

Also, the front desk not the most helpful. I had called the night before to make sure my husband could check in before me...since I booked it on my credit card and they wanted me to sign a credit card authorization form to pre-bill the room...I had already paid for the room...after being transferred finally to another customer service person (stayed on hold for over 20 minutes) I was able to ad him into the room.

Valet - guys didn't want to check in my husband's car since mine was already in valet...I assured them I would be paying for both cars...I never knew there was a one car limit per room? really???? - at $25.00 a night the hotel should be happy they are making $50.00 in less then 24 hours.

Early check-in - as they would say in NY - Forget about it!!!! and they are a bit rude about it when you requested...

All in all a horrible experience! I expected more from Queen Kapiolani - I guess this is how they treat their local clientele!!! give them the most horrible rooms, give them a hard time for early check-in and parking....never again.

Room Tip: DONT STAY HERE - if you do ask to make sure you dont stay in room M9
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Norma K
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay and we truly apologize for not fulfilling your expectations. Local residents are very important to us and we do appreciate giving us the opportunity to serve you.

It was very unfortunate that we were at 100% capacity, for it limits what we can do in regards to room moves. In regards to your check in experience, I will be meeting with the Front Office Manager to investigate what had occurred so that it does not occur again.

I assure you that local clientele are very important to Queen Kapiolani Hotel and would like to reach out to you...could you please give us a call.

Ron

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (514)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Arrived a day early for a convention, booked a room here to save some money then switched over to a resort hotel. I would of much preferred to stay at the queen than this over populated Disneyland experience of a beach resort. The atmosphere was great, beach access and relaxed. If ever I return to the island the Queen is where I will stay.

Room Tip: Ocean view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Tim N
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay and we appreciate your comment of great experience. We are not a beach resort that is over populated, but are located minutes from world famous Waikiki Beach, on the quiet end of Waikiki, across the street from beautiful Kapiolani Park with iconic Diamond Head in the background.....paradise.

Again, Thank You, and if I may be of assistance duing your next visit to our beautiful islands, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We were looking for a place to lay our heads on a quick stop over on our way back from the Big Island. So we weren't looking for anything fancy but still wanted a good location to use as a base to explore Waikiki. This hotel is exactly what we were looking for.

Sure, the hotel is dated, but it is clean and service is good. The bed is comfortable and because the aircond unit is standalone, room temperature is easy to control. My only complaint is that the shower head in the room is very low, and cannot be adjusted or detached.

You can self park or valet park, but when we were there, self - parking was not available and valet parking is required. From what I can see there wasn't much parking available in any case.
Overall I give it a high rating because for the price we paid, the hotel represents good value.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Dbnlau
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay and we appreciate your comment of good location. As you stated, many of our guest appreciate being on the quiet end of Waikiki, yet minutes from world famous Waikiki Beach, across the street from beautiful Kapiolani Park with iconic Diamond Head in the background.

Furthermore, you found the accommodations to be clean with good service. That the beds were comfortable and the room temperature was easy to control with the A/C. In regards to the shower, we are considering to install hand held shower heads.

Again, thank you for your comments, and if I may be of assistance in booking your next visit to our beautiful islands, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Yes, the Queen Kap shows its age ... but its staff and quiet location more than make up for its shortcomings. Thank you especially Jocelyn!

Our stay was in early April and if our health allows us to, we plan to return Spring '15.

Meanwhile in Vancouver-WA, we have our annual "Three Days of Aloha" Festival in July to look forward to...

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bythesea444
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay and we appreciate your comment of our favorite location, excellent value and gracious service. As you mentioned, many of our guest appreciate being on the quiet end of Waikiki, yet minutes from world famous Waikiki Beach, across the street from beautiful Kapiolani Park with iconic Diamond Head in the background.

It was particularly heart warming to hear that the Staff was great, particularly Jocelyn at the Front Desk. We are so very proud of our team.

If I may be of assistance, during your next visit, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Aloha Merle,

Just wanted to send a quick email to say how much we enjoyed our stay at the Queen Kapiolani. The hotel was great and so close to everything and be able to sit on the balcony every morning and see the animals in the Zoo wake up was a real treat. The service was
excellent and it all went to make our first overseas holiday a memory for ever. The happy hour at the pool bar was a grown ups treat that my husband and I took full advantage off, hooked on Mai Tais now. You will definitely be seeing us again you have a beautiful Island but I guess you all know that , that’s why you all smile so much

Mahola

Kath and Pete
Australia

Room Tip: if you have teenagers ask for the rollout bed to be put in the living area gives a bit of privacy...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Kathy S
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay and we are so glad that you appreciated the fabulous view from the room. Many of our guest appreciate being on the quiet end of Waikiki, yet minutes from world famous Waikiki Beach, across the street from Honolulu Zoo and beautiful Kapiolani Park, with iconic Diamond Head in the background. Because we are not surrounded by tall buildings, we offer breathtaking views from the room lanais.

Again, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to assisting you in your plans to revisit our beautiful islands.

Paoli, Indiana
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Great hotel on the quiet end of Waikiki. Hotel has a lot of history to it. No bugs and very clean. Easy walking distance to almost everything in Waikiki. Free Wi-fi with no charges and no resort fees. Staff was always friendly and helpful. (i.e. JoCewn)

Room Tip: Like any hotel the higher floors have the better views. Third floor pool deck has Diamond Head and O...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KAHLAH2014
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay and we appreciate your comment of great hotel for the price. That you found the staff to be always friendly and helpful.

As you mentioned, many of our guest prefer the quiet end of Waikiki, yet minutes from world famous Waikiki Beach, across the street from beautiful Kapiolani Park, with iconic Diamond Head in the background. This translates to unbelivable views that are truly breathtaking.

If I can assist in booking your next visit, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 10 July 2014

First off, let me warn you that the hotel is a little older. Its got a nice 50's-60's waikiki vibe to it. It is clean and the rooms are neat and well kept. We stayed in a Diamond Head view room and, let me tell you, the view was PHENOMENAL. When we return, we will be staying in an Ocean/Diamond Head view for sure. I'd totally splurge the extra ~25$ for at least a Diamond Head view. Its worth it.

The folks at the front desk are friendly, helpful and ridiculously fun. Since the hotel is directly next to the zoo and the mountain, I spent quite a few mornings out for a nice run. They gave me advice on where to go, which way to go, and what have you. Very considerate. Having grown up on O'ahu and having returned to my native isle on numerous occasions, and having sampled the Hale Koa and a few of the other upper priced hotels...I have to say that the Queen Kapiolani is just as pleasant and clean, with a far superior view, for over half the price. I won't stay anywhere else again. That's for sure.

Pros:
Great location--beach is close, ABC stores are nearby, easy access to Kalakaua street and Kapahulu street to get in and out of Waikiki with minimal fights.
Great view--'nuff said
Friendly staff--Front desk was so nice, so were the parking fellas, the cleaning staff was polite and very kind.
Rooms were clean and bright.
Bathroom was clean and bright.
TV and Wifi for free.
Lanai also kept clean--(the balcony)

Potential Cons:
Water temp was fickle during the day. This was never really a huge issue for us, as we are early risers. However, the day of our wedding we came home and I needed to remove the copious amounts of hair spray. The water couldn't decide if it wanted to be hot or cold. Then again, the pipes are older and the front desk staff is aware of the issue and are currently in the process of fixing this.
Construction next door (April, 2014). Again, hardly an issue when we were in the room.
Parking is done by valet, due to parking issues they've had. Just a head's up, as some people don't like it. Husband and I couldn't care less, though.

TL;DR--Excellent hotel, great prices. Minimal issues. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Most definitely get at least a Diamond Head view. Ocean/Diamond head seem even better, that's w...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kate C
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay and thank you for a wonderful statement of perfect location, clean and inexpensive. As you mentioned, we do offer rooms with phenomenal views of iconic Diamond Head that are absolutely breathtaking. That you found the rooms to be neat and well kept,

What was music to our ears was that you found the Front Desk Staff to be friendly, helpful and ridiculously fun as well as the parking fellas. Not to mention that the cleaning staff was polite and very kind

Again, thank you, and if I may be of assistance during your next visit, please do not hesitate to give me a call.