Royal Grove Hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Honolulu
See available hotels
Stay Hotel Waikiki(Honolulu)
  • Breakfast included
Waikiki Resort Hotel(Honolulu)
  • Breakfast included
  • Beachfront
All reviewsjam sessionon monday nightssafety deposit boxgreat budget hotelwaikiki beachother gueststwo blockshula dancerscooking facilitiespink hotelbeach toysfull size fridgeold hawaiiacross the streetper nightthe duke statuehawaiian music
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I still feel this is the best value hotel in Waikiki although I have only actually stayed in one other - the Marriott which is not good value. I had a week at the RGH in a room on the pool side.

The aircon was a new whisper quiet one that disappointed me as previously I used the fan on full to mask outside noise from motor bikes and emergency vehicles and noisy revellers or internal door slammers or any loud noise.

I have written before on hints how best to make use of the full kitchen, such as taking all your basic food stuffs with you and then replacing the weight of those with all the things you buy and bring home. I also take a bit of dish washing liquid etc so that I don't have to waste time buying basics. There are great markets nearby at the Hyatt (Thurs 4-8) and the Kings Market (Mon, Wed and Fri 4-8), for fruit and other things. The Hyatt especially has some lovely take away food.

TheBus stops really close to the hotel.

The only complaint I can make this time is that the exceedingly elderly Panasonic TV was impossible to watch. I hope they invest in some new TVs before my next visit.

On my last 2 visits both times they have allowed me to have a very early check in for which I was very grateful.

Room Tip: Pool side a bit quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank sweetiedarling1
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This was our third stay at the Royal Grove in Waikiki, but as always the staff were very helpful, we had a self catering room at the front, bigger than average, think it was 404, comfortable bed, noise not too much of a problem. Very reasonable price for being in the heart of Waikiki and 2 minutes walk from beach. We managed to be there for Monday night music, the band was even better than our last visit and added attraction was hula dancing. I think other people have discovered this hotel as it was very busy. You certainly need to book several months - at least 3 - in advance. We will certainly stay there again if we return to Honolulu.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Best deal in town! Less than 2 blocks from heart of Waikiki Beach. Walking distance to restuarants, shops, ABC convenience stores, McD's, etc. The hotel and staff are definitely old school friendly, smaller building/facility(although 6 floors), laid-back family-like, cozy comfort. Rooms are big, clean, bed is great, great shower water pressure (my #1 criteria), full kitchennette, a/c, small pool with poolside chairs/tables. Special amenities, cheap laudromat available, they will loan (no cost!)beach chairs, mats, umbrellas, and I think they even had bogieboards, Also free lock boxes for valuables. Quick access to room~step off street straight into elevator and up to room~no wait, no fuss! We would go no place else!

Room Tip: Poolside was nice & quiet~even though nxt to elevator, quiet!
1  Thank tom2sheri1
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We chose this hotel to save money, and we did. Great location 200m from Waikiki and close to bus routes. Our bed was great, room was clean, and had all we needed. But the hotel is old and rugged, lots of kitschy stuff, and was full of old people - it felt like an old peoples's budget holiday place. It does have free wifi in lobby, no problems. Ok to stay here, but just know that it is a bit weird.

Room Tip: We had a king bed city view with AC on 6th floor.
4  Thank Sue C
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Ok, so if you are into 1200TC sheets and room service, this place in not for you!! You are quite welcome to go to the Hyatt down the road and pay 4 times the price! If you want a well priced, large room, friendly staff, 2 blocks from the beach and somewhere to sleep off way too many happy hour drinkies, you are on a winner!! Lots of returning and regular guests give this place a family feel, so does the weekly singalong sessions in the foyer. There is no wifi in your room, but I actually liked that. Yes it is a tad run down, yes the linen is a tad worn, but hey if your like me and like your big fluffy towels, pop down to Ross and buy a couple (we had planned on buying them anyway just did it on the first day and not the last!). Loved the kitchen and full fridge, used the laundry area, and sat around the pool most days, after strolling back from the beach.

Looking forward to returning this year!!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple