“Beautiful Hotel - Service Good - But Beware the Weddings!”

Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa
Ranked #24 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 7 June 2012

We booked this hotel on the back of the beautiful turn of the century architecture and elegant (restful) picture advertising seemed to present. Room was lovely ,enjoyed our stay .. however...

We would not stay there again, due to the seemingly endless procession of Japanese brides photographers and entourage that filled the lobby every day. Staff advised us that they catered to an average of 10 weddings per day .... and would shortly be adding a Japanese travel agency to the lobby shops .. so I would expect this traffic only to increase!

Also when we booked an OCEAN FRONT room in the Diamond Wing.... we were not advised that wedding receptions (complete with MC and bands would be hosted on the lovely grassed area in fromt of our room .... at least 3 during our 6 night 2nd stay...after a long day at the Arizona memorial ..coming home to the noise of someone's personal karaoke party didn't sit well and we could not be accomodated for a room change due to full occupancy ... when requested I was advised that I got "exactly what I asked for" an ocean front room ... well true but I didn't expect the ringside tickets I also got! The tower rooms are just as good (my sister stayed in one) quieter (lifts are away from the wedding madness and cheaper!

This hotel is marketed on its old world charm ... and the architecture certainly has it ... however in my opinion the "feel" when staying there is of a lower standard hotel ... stay at the Sheraton (same group) and come over and admire the architecture of the Moana in the quieter evenings from the beach bar, lobby piano bar, or grab a great coffee from the shop out front sit on the rocking chairs ...

If you are looking (as I was) at the "Pink Palace" as well this would be the choice I now wish I had made as it was cheaper and we ended up having meals there to get away....

Room Tip: choose tower rooms .... away from the maddening crowd and great views .. even partial .... stay at a...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sandi S
FirstLady2365, Sales Coordinator at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2012

Aloha and Mahalo for your recent stay at the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa and giving us feedback on your experience. Our goal is to have our guests feel better than when they arrived to the hotel. It concerns us that we did not accomplish this with your stay. Please accept our sincere apologies for the challenges faced on this trip. We are committed to providing our customers with the best service and experience possible. If there is anything we can do to regain your trust, please contact our hotel and ask to be connected with our Director of Operations.

There are newer reviews for Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa

Reviewed 6 June 2012

The Moana Surfrider was the perfect ending to our family of 3s two years in Hawaii. We'd driven by many times always impressed with the traditional architecture and we're excited to stay here before leaving for the mainland. We were *not* disappointed!
Our arrival was great...valet/bell service was just right...friendly and efficient without the pretention...what a breath of fresh air compared to some of the "luxury" hotels we've stayed in both at Waikiki and neighbor islands. Then we saw the room...wow! We stayed in the historic wing...2nd floor. The room was very spacious with nice plantation shuttered windows overlooking the rear courtyard and beach. Best of all the room appeared fully renovated with plenty of storage. This was important for us as we had *lots* of baggage and were actually able to put everything away, but maintain easy access. Really thoughtful design we thought. The place really felt like home! The pool was small, but seemed to fit in well with the traditional styling...and was just right for our almost-3yr old. I knew I was on vacation when the two of us fell asleep on our lounge chair...only to be gently reminded by the pool attendant to cover up before we completely sunburned ourselves...thanks!
Now...the actual beachfront leaves something to be desired...though I think this is more of a city of Honolulu issue than the hotel. I would recommended getting out of Waikiki for a better beach experience.
But again...as far as an overall experience the Moana Surfrider hit all the right notes. We will most definitely stay here when we return to Oahu as tourists!

2  Thank mikeandc

Aloha! Thank you very much for such a wonderful review on the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa. We would be delighted to have the opportunity to welcome you back on your return to Oahu. Best of luck on your move to the mainland and "A Hui Hou"...

Reviewed 6 June 2012

I was really confused as to where to stay in Waikiki because there is just SO MANY places and every one of them has really mixed reviews on Tripadvisor!

I think some of the harsh reviews on this hotel are really unfair because from the choice you have in Waikiki it is definitely one of the best.

After a 6 day stay on Waikiki, this is the way I saw it;
If you're looking for the very best, then your 4 options are Moana Surfrider, Royal Hawaiian, Trump Tower and Halekulani.
Halekulani is nice but its just way too far away from everything and I think being a short distance from the hub of Waikiki was essential. If you didn't want to shop and you just wanted something more relaxing then maybe that's for you.
I expected Trump tower to be amazing, we had dinner there one night and it was nothing special at all. It was out of the way aswell and I just think it was the worst of the 4 options.
The Royal Hawaiian is quite nice, but you have to pay for your beach chairs, pool chairs etc. We were tossing up between staying there or not but decided the heavy price wasn't worth it and that we would save that money to spend on the Four Seasons Maui (which was the best decision)

Moana Surfrider really does top all the other hotels. Its by far the most attractive, (there are plenty of dirty, ugly high rises such as Beachcomber, Outrigger and Shertons!) the service is excellent and the rooms are adequate, not excellent but we were hardly in them anyway so we didn't care.
Buffet breakfast was delicious and highly recommended, gets your day off to a lovely start!
I liked the spa, but make sure you book early so you can spend the whole day there. I booked late and didn't really get to enjoy it!
Its really well priced, compared to its competitors in my mind, the Royal Hawaiian and Halekulani so enjoy yourself at Moana and save your money to stay somewhere truly unforgettable when you go to Maui!

Room Tip: You only need the cheap room. Whoever spends your whole holiday inside the room needs to get out mor...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Emily B
Reviewed 3 June 2012

My husband and I have stayed at this lovely hotel I would come back and stay here again. We spent a week early November and the weather was just perfect. It was our first trip to Waikiki and we had a great time. We did not rent a car since this hotel was right on the main strip and directly across from the Internation Marketplace where I would often wander and browse al the neat stalls. It was not cheap for our air & hotel stay, but my husband wanted to try it out and it looked rather nice. We took a shuttle bus from the airport to our hotel, but it was about the 6th or 7th stop and I think I'd rather get a taxi next time. It seemed to be a long ride dropping off other passengers and it was getting late in the evening. The hotel was located within walking to alot of nice restaurants and things to see and do. There were tons of ABC stores where you can buy anything from misc items to food items and lots of souvenir and high end stores to go shopping.
It was almost like Las Vegas with crowds everywhere and evening at night, lots of people going about. We picked up milk & cereal to have breakfast in our room and fresh fruit too.
Our room was on the 12th floor and we really enjoyed the ocean view and the sounds of the waves in early morning or evening. My husband would often wake up early and sit out on the balcony and watch the early morning surfers. I enjoyed watching the swimmers and would often see the sea turtles swim up to people standing in the ocean with no idea that a big turtle was sneaking up close to them.
The Outrigger Waikiki hotel was next door and we walked down to the gardens of the Sheraton Hotel close by, through the Royal Hawaiian centre. I bought souvenirs at the Internation Market and I think the prices were very reasonable. Nice big hawaiian theme towels for $10, silk flower clips were 5 for $10, shark tooth necklaces , opal earrings & bracelots, etc. They also have a food fair area in the back and one evening, we sat and watched Hula performances by various groups and music performances. Often, in the evenings there were live bands playing at the hotels close by and even at our hotel and people dancing and having lots of fun. The sunsets were quick but very pretty and you can have dinner over looking the ocean while tiki torches were lit up around you.
The beach was nice for learning to surf and great for families. You can walk out and enjoy a swim or snorkelling. But when I snorkelled, there is no coral but mostly swirling beach sand and I was rather disappointed to not see much colorful fish.... But I did see a $20 bill floating in the ocean and my husband dived down and got it. Then 10 minutes later, a $10 bill floats by and we got that one too. He says never mind the missing fish - money was a better choice . He was going to take me snorkelling every day if I was that lucky !
One day we decided to walk down to Diamond Head. It was a really nice long walk along things to see and beaches and parks. Nice places to take lots of photos But after a 2 hours walk to the lookout point, we had no water left to drink , it was hot and we didn't make it to Diamond Head crater. It took us another 2 hours to walk back to the Moana Hotel. Next time, we'll take the cable car to the place and just do the hike then. Walking back , we stopped at the Cheeseburger in Paradise dining place. Excellent burgers and the place had all kinds of cool hawaiian memorbillia all over the walls. Very busy place.
We too the free trolley to Hilo Hattie to buy chocolates and souvenirs. We ate dinner at the Cheesecake Factory which is one of my favorite places. I really like their lettuce wraps - kinda messy but very good.
Another day we booked to spend the day at the Polynesian Cultural Centre for a full day tour, a luau and a big evening show called Breathe of Life. It was great and we really enjoyed the day - lots of things to see and do and even a boat ride as well.Got to see spear throwing, war dances, fire knife twirling, hula lessons, kiki carving, testing hawaiian foods, etc. Got to see their culture and learn about hawaiian history.
We booked a trip to visit Pearl Harbor and the Circle Island Tour. Booked it the hotel concierge desk and it was a great trip. We've always wanted to see Pearl Harbor and the USS Arizona Memorial. The island tour took us to the Pineapple Plantation, to Waimea Bay and down to see the Bonzai Pipeline. Beautiful scenery and beaches. Saw Sunset beach and Kahuku Point at the tip of the island. Saw different areas of Oahu and got some great photos.
We booked a tour at the Waikiki Trade Centre and a snorkel trip for $15 to Haunama Bay. It was only $12 if you had your own gear and justed wanted the bus ride there. They pick you up at the hotel and we didn't want to take the local bus to the bay. Beautiful bay with lots of coral and reefs with fish. They also have a beach and lots of people spent the day there swimming and having a picnic.Rather shallow but protected and I saw lots of colorful fish and glad I got to snorkel on my holiday.
One of our favorite things was to have lunch at the Puka Dog stand and they made a great Shaved ice dessert to enjoy. You can pick out different tropical relishes for your sausage dog stuffed in a hollowed out bun and it was delicious. The shaved ice was soft like snow and drizzled with various fruit juice and a scoop of ice cream in the middel and cherry on top. A fun lunch and not very expensive. I think we ate here twice.
The Moana surfrider was a nice hotel and it was easy to walk to everything. We found the hotel staff very friendly and helpful. We also liked the large front balcony with rocking chairs to sit and people watch out front. I would come back here again but will aways take a room with ocean view...

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Wishbones
Reviewed 3 June 2012

The architecture of the hotel was stunning.The food was good ,the wait staff was excellent,drinks we're prepare to perfection.The concierge staff was terrible we pay for rooms with beach view and we didn't get any as well as conjoining and got neither.The staff was not willing to explain or correct the problem. The tour advisor wasn't very helpfull at all so we didn't do any tours.It seems this Hotel is specifically there as a wedding resort,as vacationers are treated with second hand courtesy.

The rooms have many ants and rouches and a distinct mildew ordor.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Priscilla C
Reviewed 3 June 2012 via mobile

This unique hotel is a phenomenon. No one I know comes here for the rooms, service or Westin typical character. But the building and the location cant be beaten. This time my room was even clean and the staff was rather working alright. Check in and out was poor again and the pool becomes an event site at 7 am which is hard to believe. Overall a five star location and a three star hotel. But who cares as long as the occupancy is right? No one, correct!

1  Thank Dantiscum
Reviewed 2 June 2012

My husband and I stayed here for the first time after staying in previous years at the Outrigger Waikiki next door. The Moana Surfrider is pricy but the bed is of course comfortable (as a Westin bed should be) and the view from the modern Tower wing is fantastic. I followed the advice of other reviewers here and got an ocean view room in the Tower wing. Also ended up getting upgraded to a higher floor. The disadvantages for me are the average bathroom, resort fee of $26 per day, and no mini bar. I expected a more modern and spacious bathroom for a modern Westin hotel but it looked just like the bathroom at the Outrigger Waikiki. The resort fee is ridiculous. We could use the same resort amenities next door without even paying a fee. The mini bar isn't crucial but I noticed the room didn't have any. At the end of the day, I know I can get the same view and amenities elsewhere for a lower price. But I love the service here and that ranks quite high in my book.