“Perfect location in paradise ”

Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa
Ranked #23 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

By far one of the best hotels to stay at in the world. I have stayed here 4 times over the last 3 years and each time gets even better. A great combination of hotel and resort combined into the best downtown location in Waikiki . Your close to every major attraction and still have the best view of the ocean. If you get the chance don't pass up on staying here.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Ddb2422
Moana S, Guest Experience Team at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Aloha,
Thank you for your kind review. The ideal location of the Moana Surfrider is walking distance to many shopping outlets, dining venues and, of course, Waikiki Beach. The Honolulu Zoo and the Aquarium are also popular attractions guests can enjoy with a quick 15 minute walk. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Waikiki.
Mahalo!

Write a ReviewReviews (5,306)

Reviewed 12 December 2013

My partner and I chose the Moana Surfrider, as we love Honolulu, have stayed at the Halekulani before but have always loved the Westin. I booked the five night stay months ahead using 90,000 points for a 5 night stay. We could not have been more disappointed and checked out about two hours after check in. The "partial ocean view room" is not even that. If you walk out on the balcony and turn your head 90 degrees to the left, you can catch a glimpse of the ocean. From the room, you only see the huge hotel directly next door. The room furnishings were not even the level of Hampton Inn or a nice Holiday Inn. When we each called nicely to ask if we could possibly have another room, pay more for an upgrade or transfer during our stay, the manager could not have been more unhelpful. They only offered us a room where we would spend an extra $300/night (PLUS tax) in addiiton to the 90,000 points already spent. The man who checked us in said I could come down to the desk every morning around 6:30AM to request a better room, but I had to do that in person, as there was no wait to put me on a waiting list. They absolutely did not care. We checked out, are now at the Royal Hawaiian, ocean front and like it so much more (still very expensive but such a better value for room size, furnishings and view). Westin should remove this hotel from their chain. I stay at Westins around the world and always find them so friendly and accommodating. There was no Hawaiian Spirit or Aloha at this property.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Scott B

Aloha,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We sincerely apologize that your booked category did not meet your expectations. We do try to accommodate our guests wishing to upgrade based on our availability. Our front desk agents are diligent when following-up with guests on upgrades so am surprised to hear this was not the case. We have forwarded your review to our management team to ensure all of our front desk associates are properly trained when handling upgrade requests. We hope you will allow us to regain your confidence in the Moana Surfrider again. Please send an email to 374guestexperienceteam@westin.com should you decide to make a reservation with us, we would be happy to assist you.

Reviewed 11 December 2013

I've stayed at this Hotel March of 2008, this was the best hotel I stayed in that year . the service was great , the room was clean but small also ok when your in Hawaii you don't stay in your room all day. I also liked the beach out back of the hotel who needs a pool when you have the ocean. great food an the prices on everything was average you get what you pay for . your in one of the best places to see all the shops, restaurants, Waikiki, an all the activity around I well be coming back again

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank franksgogetter
Moana S, Guest Experience Team at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Aloha,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Many of our guests love the fact that they have Waikiki Beach as their backyard. It is a pleasant surprise to wake up in your guestroom to a view of the astounding Diamond Head and the Pacific Ocean. Also, the honu's (sea turtles) have made Waikiki their home, so our guests enjoy being able to swim right next to them. We are happy to hear you will be returning to the Moana, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

I have nothing but praise for this resort. My wife and I stayed in an ocean front suite and found it much more comfortable then the comparable suite we had at the Halekulani last year.
The Beach is great and you are central to all of the fun spots. Service was top notch and I would like to give a special shout out to Jilly. More hotels can use people like her on their staff.
How this hotel is not ranked in the top three on trip advisor is beyond me but that's ok it is ranked # 1 in my book and I look forward to returning next year.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Moana S, Guest Experience Team at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Aloha,
Thank you for sharing such wonderful comments! Our Tower Ocean Suites provides a setting of perfection at its finest with breathtaking views of Waikiki Beach and the turquoise blue of the Pacific Ocean.
With terrific reviews like yours, we are hoping to improve our ranking on TripAdvisor. Please continue leaving reviews for each of your stays, we love hearing from our guests.
Also, we will be sure to acknowledge Jilly for her exceptional service.
We look forward to welcoming you back next year to the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

My wife and I love the location of this property plus the old Hawaii ambiance and charm: hula lessons under the banyan tree, watching catamarans & surfers in the distance. Collin & Gloria are great pool / beachside attendants...smiling even at 7 am. We love staying in the old section (even though rooms are smaller) for the sheer history of early Hawaii. The new section has bigger rooms and easier to store surfboards. Note: surfboards 9-foot & shorter will fit in the elevator. We find we're hardly in our room when we stay here; either surfing, sitting beachside, or cruising Waikiki.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Aloha,
Thank you for sharing your review. Waikiki Beach has become one of the most popular surfing spots on Oahu so am happy to hear you decided to stay at the Moana Surfrider. With Waikiki Beach as your backyard, the Moana offers guests the ideal location. Also, if surfboards are longer than 9ft, guests are welcome to use our service elevators to transport their surfboard between floors. Our south swells during the fall is also a great time to go surfing in Waikiki Beach. We look forward to welcoming you back to the "First Lady of Waikiki."

Reviewed 6 December 2013

My wife and recently flew to Oahu to celebrate a friends 50th. Our friends live on the Island and after four days with them I surprised my wife with a night in Honolulu. Having visited the Moana Surfrider in the past I knew it was the only hotel that could support a great afternoon and evening in the chaos they call Waikiki. While the lobby bar and staff were what I've come to expect at a Westin the Suite I had reserved was NOT. When we arrived to our suite I was surprised to see how dated and beat up the furniture was. There was no mini bar, no way to plug in an I-device for listening to music and the only music available was pay per listen on the TV. I could swallow all that for the price tag but what I wasn't able to swallow was the cleanliness of this room. The couch had stains all over it as did the lampshades. It was disgusting. On top of that the shower leaked out onto the bedroom carpet. I immediately alerted staff and while I didn't want to cause a big commotion I thought they could clean it up a bit while we were out to dinner. As it happens the house cleaning showed up at 9:40pm to clean the room, my wife was already asleep. Continued emails to the hotel manager, Mr. Anderson, that have so far gone unanswered and I waited to post on Trip Advisor to let them try and reconcile or at least address the issues. Nothing. There is no question that the hotel is the grand dame of arguably the tackiest beach scene in the Western Hemisphere. That said, I think the operators have taken that a little too seriously in their choice décor an lack of cleanliness. I will not stay at this hotel again and will look very hard at any future stays with Westin.

Room Tip: I'm guessing one should stay in one of the towers as the old hotel is apparently just that, OLD.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Grantman66

Aloha,
Mahalo for your review and for staying at the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa. We would like to sincerely apologize for the concerns mentioned regarding your assigned suite. Cleanliness is one of our top priorities for our guests and am disappointed to hear this was not the case during your stay. Your review has been shared with our management team. We would like to investigate this situation more, if you could kindly provide us with the details of your stay with your room number to 374guestexperienceteam@westin.com. Thank you again for taking the time to share your concerns with us.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

Smack- bang in the heart of Waikik's maelstrom of gaudy,tacky and conventional hotel choices, sits this elegant old-world,'first lady of Waikiki'. The westin group have diligently kept the uniqueness of this grand icon with superb contemporary feel that in full measure contributes to a memorable and enjoyable stay.
We chose the Banyan wing with its sweeping views of the shoreline and balcony that is generous. loved it,especially drinkies and munchies at the Verendah at the Beachhouse.,shaded by an ancient banyan tree with an uninterupted sweep of blue in front of you.
The perfect end to a busy day away from Waikiki's 'charms' is at Bin 1901 accompanied by the tinkle from a live piano entertainment to match the tinkle in our long glasses.
Cheers.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Aloha,
Mahalo nui loa for your very kind comments. We are so happy to hear you enjoyed our historical banyan guestrooms which is like taking a step back into yesteryear. We hope you also had a chance to join one of our historical tours which is offered every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 11am. Learning the history of this 112 year old iconic hotel creates a wonderful experience for our guests and allows one to enjoy the historical ambiance of the "First Lady of Waikiki" as you have. We hope to welcome you back to the Moana Surfrider soon.