There is no questioning that this hotel has a great location and that the old part of the hotel is a grand old lady but it needs to be dragged into this century in terms of staffing and accomodation.
I have stayed here a total of 6 times in the last 20 years and there is huge variation in room types.
This time round we got one the size of a cupboard. By the time we opened our bags we were leapfrogging to get to the bathroom, which had the smallest toilet I have ever seen. It's opening was no bigger than a tooth brush and yes we laid one across it to check. You really needed a pert bottom, gold help some of the hefty Americans we saw waiting in the Cheescake Factories two hour long queues.
It was very interesting to see the resort staff work on every single customer in the queue to upgrade them, ocean views, double the size room and yes you guessed it all for double the price.
And don't dare stand in the priority line because you will promptly be made to feel like a Kindergarten child who took someone's pencil.
The pool area is tacky, no cushions on lounge chairs, its always wet and ratty loooking with tiles chipped round the shower area. You just can't beat the fact that the Ocean is 10 steps away.
The Moana is a perfect example why hotels like The Modern are doing so well. The rooms are unadventurous in style and furnishings, it's looking tired and outdated yet they continue to charge expensive room rates cause of its position. Staff are also tired and outdated and exceedingly unhelpful and at times downright rude.
We went to reception to see if any rooms were available, we were told there weren't. When we mentioned they were available on booking sites. We were told bluntly to book through them, when we said we didn't have Wi-Fi , they said they couldn't help us.
Please Hotel Managers take a trip to Asia - Bali, Thailand, Malaysia and see what luxurious rooms and gracious service is.
Too many Hawaiian Hotels are outdated
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Moana Surfrider, a Westin Resort & Spa, in Waikiki Beach on Oahu, HI. Visit Moana Lani Spa; or host a wedding on our rooftop terrace, or a meeting in our 10,000sq ft of event space. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Starwood, Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com and Ebookers so you can book your Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Moana Surfrider, a Westin Resort And Spa
- Moana Surfrider, a Westin Hotel Honolulu
- Westin Moana Surfrider
- Moana Surfrider Westin Resort
- Westin Honolulu
- Honolulu Westin
- Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa Hawaii/Honolulu