“What an amazing place”

Ranked #25 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
“What an amazing place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2005

From the moment we pulled up, we received excellent service. Upon check in we were greeted with a moist towell and some pineapple juice. Conceirge was very helpful with directions and information. Very comfortable beds and excellent room. We didn't want to leave.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,204)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2005

My husband and I stayed here on our honeymoon for 2 nights. We were upgraded to an oceanview tower room. Our room was located at the back of the hotel so we had two balconies. One looking out toward diamond head and the beach and the other down onto Kalakaua Avenue which we loved. Check in is nice with a cold towel, juice and lei greeting. Our room was spacious. We renewed our vows at the Promise Me Again program. This is a nice hotel in a good central location in Waikiki.

6 Thank Melissa T
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2005

Spent a week in this hotel with a city view room in the older section of the hotel. The room had an "old" smell about it that was not objectionable and the room was very clean. The bed comfort (king) is second to none and excellent rest was easy to get. The hotel is Japanese owned and the predominantly oriental guest list indicates a strong marketing push in that direction. The hotel staff was all very pleasant and accomodating as well as friendly and efficient. One of the highlights is the rocking chairs on the "porchs" that allow you to rest in the shade while people watching. The only negative is the food service. Very overpriced with mediocre quality and service, at best. Duke's and Chuck's at the Outrigger right next door are a far better value. Duke's has an awesome breakfast buffet and the dinner menu at Chuck's is excellent with a large selection. We would stay here again.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Jersey Shore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Moana 8 years ago in the Surfrider wing. We loved it. The beach is the best, the lobby is gorgeous, the location is central. And the view of Diamond Head with a rainbow over it? Priceless.

Put your parent goggles on, and the whole thing changes. Two double beds. My husband and I were knocking into each other all the time. And the kids couldn't sleep together, so we called for a rollaway. They wanted $60 PER NIGHT. Not having another $120 (plus hotel tax!) we took the comforter off the bed and made a sleeping bag. There was no blanket, just the comforter, so we used the robes and towels as blankets. The Hyatt Regency on Kauai didn't charge anything for a rollaway. I was prepared to pay a reasonable rate. $60 is not reasonable.

The pool was green and hazy with stuff floating in it, even at 9AM. Sure the beach is great, but my kids aren't able to swim in the surf yet and they wanted to go in the pool. Eew. A little chlorine please and a skimmer?

We stayed in the Tower wing this time and it was definitely quieter than the Surfrider wing. Overall, honeymooners and couples, go for it. Families, keep looking.

10 Thank travelgirl88
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2005

Just got back from our trip to hawaii and with a great experience. Service was awsome and the hotel itself is beautiful. The room we stayed in was nice with a partial ocean view. My only complaint is the pricing of the drinks and food, expensive! oh and the pool could be a little bigger, but it's Ok since the beach makes up for it!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2005

This is an absolutely incredible hotel, offering a "classic hawaiian" experience. The Moana was the very first hotel in Honolulu, built in 1908 using southern antebelleum architecure. It has, of course, been remodeled and there is a new tower next door that is also part of the original property, all in outstanding condition. The hotel offers an atrium courtyard where the focal point is a 100 plus year old Banyan tree, and of course, Waikiki beach and the sunsets. The service is excellent, and far exceeds any other resort in the area. Food at the Banyan Tree Terrace is wonderful, and on Saturday nights at 7:30 PM, the hotel offers wedding vow renewals at no charge. The live entertainment offered every evening in the courtyard is usually different original hawaiian artists, along with a hula dancer. Sipping a mai tai and listening to hawaiian music at sunset under the banyan tree at the Sheraton Moana has become my very favorite spot in Hawaii.

Stayed September 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2005

My favourite Sheraton Property anywhere... and I've stayed at some pretty nice ones.

Sure, the rooms are nothing that special, but the beautiful, grand old lobby in the Moana portion of the hotel, the rocking chairs on the old verandah, and the banyan tree area overlooking Waikiki Beach are top notch.

The past few times, I have gotten great deals staying in the historic wing. I have become accustomed to this wing, as there are only a small percentage of rooms in this grand old portion of the hotel, and you actually feel as if you were in Waikiki at the turn of the century... I don't know where else you could get that.

This particular trip, I was given a room on the second floor, down the Diamond Wing end of the building, and rathter than taking the elevator up one floor, I mad it habit to take the central staircase, which led me past the upstairs verandahs, and all the historic memorabilia they have on display from back in the day when this was the grand old lady of Waikiki....

And then I would walk down the large, old fashioned corridor with its very Hawaiian looking carpeting (if there is such a thing) and the big old-fashioned hotel-room doors.

I was fortunate enough to be in a corner room, so I had about 3 windows in my room. That combined with the new decor they have put in, including white paint, and inset mirrors behind the queen size bed, it made for a very light and airy room, with its old, very high ceilings, something you don't get in the Surfrider Tower.

Unfortunately it was the wrong corner, in that it was not the corner of the building overlooking the beach, but the corner overlooking the main street of town, also with a side view of the back of the Diamond Wing!

BUT.... since I got a good rate, I think I got what I paid for.

As I said, the historic rooms are very nice... not all that big, but nice ambiance, and since they've put in more mirrors, it's given the illusion of being a larger room than it is, and the beautiful high ceilings.

The bathrooms in the historic wing are not very large either, but put together in a way that makes it manageable.

The only other thing was that, facing the street, it was a little noisy from about 10pm until about 2pm. This would probably bother most people, but since I was out partying until about midnight, by the time I went to sleep, things had calmed down on the street.

The position of the hotel to the center of Waikiki Beach, the drinks at the Moana Beach Bar under the Banyan Tree, and the quick snacks out by the pool were good as ever.

I will always happily come back to this hotel.

• Stayed May 2005