My husband and I checked into the Moana on August 29th for eight nights. We booked our vacation through Pleasant Hawaiian Holidays and paid a premium to stay at the Moana.
We had booked a city view room and upon check-in were given room #506. I assumed our room would be of the same caliber as the other rooms, just not with an ocean view. Plain and simple, our room was filthy and rundown. The smell was not the smell of a first class hotel on the beach. After three days of phone calls to housekeeping, someone finally came on the 3rd day to change out the shower curtain, which smelled of mildew. There were stains all over the bathroom wallpaper. There were stains on the carpet. There was so much grime buildup on the shower curtain rod that it was hard to move the curtain open and close. There was mold and grime on the bathroom sink. This room was sorely in need of a makeover.
I would expect this had we chosen a discount hotel located many blocks from the beach, however, this being a Sheraton property, I was a little taken aback.
On a different note, I was surprised there was no closet. The armoire that holds the TV is hardly adequate for two people for a week.
We loved the location and chose to overlook the many, many negatives on the room. We loved the Banyon Beach Bar and had cocktails there each evening. Unfortunately, we had to go back to our room each night.
These rooms definitely need to be upgraded and should not be occupied until they are.
I waited until now to submit this report, as I wrote the General Manager of the hotel to voice my concern, however, I have yet to hear back from the hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Moana Surfrider, a Westin Resort & Spa, in Waikiki Beach on Oahu, HI. Visit Moana Lani Spa; or host a wedding on our rooftop terrace, or a meeting in our 10,000sq ft of event space. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelbag, Expedia, TravelUp, Agoda, Southall Travel, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Moana Surfrider, a Westin Resort And Spa
- Moana Surfrider, a Westin Hotel Honolulu
- Westin Moana Surfrider
- Moana Surfrider Westin Resort
- Westin Honolulu
- Honolulu Westin
- Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa Hawaii/Honolulu