“Fantastic Hotel”

Ranked #24 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 October 2005

What can I say but fantastic! We went for our honeymoon, got an amazing upgrade on our room with a stunning view. Bottle of champagne on arrival and the friendliest staff you could ever wish to meet. I can see why people stay at this hotel! Everything about it made our honeymoon an unforgettable experience, we are longing to return. We had breakfast on the veranda, which was stunning, very traditional.

Thank you to everyone at the hotel we loved it. Keep up the good work, you will long be in our hearts.

15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 14 October 2005

We are repeat guests at the hotel and always get a tower room...it is lovely, but do not try and request anything of the front desk...the front desk manager Rolando is disrespectful, rude, will not accomadate any simple request, and does not back up any of his front desk personal ...he does not reguard his guests as such. He is argumentative and one leaves with a feeling of frustration. this is not what you expect of a "decent" hotel. The beach is the best and that is the only reason we return....if service is not important than The Moana is for you.

• Stayed: October 2005, travelled on business
18  Thank Judy B
Reviewed 14 October 2005

I should have listened, to the reviews, but noooo, booked a room, requested a tower room, received a room on the 2nd floor facing the street of the old main building. Complimented by trucks, cars, buses, musicians, and to be pleasantly waken up by the garbage trucks. Complain, sure, but front desk "Sorry we are booked" there is nothing we can do. Sure there is, pitch a tent for us on the beach it would have been nicer and much more quiet. Oh, well live and learn. The hotel is very nice, just pay the extra bucks for a guaranteed tower room, better than that, don't even go to Oahu, go to Kauai and stay at the Grand Hyatt. You will appreciate the advice, trust me.

Sheraton Moana Surfrider, you will not see us again. Yours truly, the unhappy honeymooners.

9  Thank Mulrain
Reviewed 11 October 2005

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend for my birthday in April 2005. We had stayed here previously in 2004 as well. This hotel is beautiful, a little pricey, but none the less, it was great. It is one of the oldest hotels in Waikiki, but very well up kept. I would not recommend this hotel for families, it's more for couples honeymooning or a weekend get away. There is a great bar under the banyan tree that had live music and great pupus, we enjoyed that! Waikiki is always busy and loud, so unless you have a ocean front room, you won't escape that unless you close the doors. Great place to stay!!!! Staff and room service was great too!!

• Stayed: April 2005
8  Thank nalani65
Reviewed 11 October 2005

My husband and I checked into the Moana on August 29th for eight nights. We booked our vacation through Pleasant Hawaiian Holidays and paid a premium to stay at the Moana.

We had booked a city view room and upon check-in were given room #506. I assumed our room would be of the same caliber as the other rooms, just not with an ocean view. Plain and simple, our room was filthy and rundown. The smell was not the smell of a first class hotel on the beach. After three days of phone calls to housekeeping, someone finally came on the 3rd day to change out the shower curtain, which smelled of mildew. There were stains all over the bathroom wallpaper. There were stains on the carpet. There was so much grime buildup on the shower curtain rod that it was hard to move the curtain open and close. There was mold and grime on the bathroom sink. This room was sorely in need of a makeover.

I would expect this had we chosen a discount hotel located many blocks from the beach, however, this being a Sheraton property, I was a little taken aback.

On a different note, I was surprised there was no closet. The armoire that holds the TV is hardly adequate for two people for a week.

We loved the location and chose to overlook the many, many negatives on the room. We loved the Banyon Beach Bar and had cocktails there each evening. Unfortunately, we had to go back to our room each night.

These rooms definitely need to be upgraded and should not be occupied until they are.

I waited until now to submit this report, as I wrote the General Manager of the hotel to voice my concern, however, I have yet to hear back from the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2005
13  Thank PDGal
A TripAdvisor Member
Miami, FL
Reviewed 6 October 2005

From the moment we pulled up, we received excellent service. Upon check in we were greeted with a moist towell and some pineapple juice. Conceirge was very helpful with directions and information. Very comfortable beds and excellent room. We didn't want to leave.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 October 2005

My husband and I stayed here on our honeymoon for 2 nights. We were upgraded to an oceanview tower room. Our room was located at the back of the hotel so we had two balconies. One looking out toward diamond head and the beach and the other down onto Kalakaua Avenue which we loved. Check in is nice with a cold towel, juice and lei greeting. Our room was spacious. We renewed our vows at the Promise Me Again program. This is a nice hotel in a good central location in Waikiki.

6  Thank Melissa T