“The Grand Old Lady of Waikiki”

Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa
Ranked #24 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Brights Grove, Ontario
Reviewed 3 March 2006

We stayed at the Sheraton Moana Surfrider February 15th to the 18th as part of a Norwegian Cruise Line package. This is the second time we have stayed at the Moana and the only thing I can say is "fantastic".

From the minute you check in with the warm face cloth, flowered Lai and fruit punch drink, this hotel is first class. Built in 1901 and constantly upgraded since staying there was like stepping back into history. The rooms are small and somewhat dated, however, the amenities are 5 star and the beds are extremely comfortable. You can not ask for a better location in Waikiki. The Moana is right on the beach and central to all the activity on the strip. It was so pleasant to sit on the front porch in the evening on a rocking chair and watch the activity on the street or sitting under the famous Banyan tree sipping on a cool drink and watch the surfers and beach crowd.

The staff were excellent and went out of their way to accomodate any requests. I do recommend taking the organized tour of the hotel, it is very informative.

The hotel restaurants are expensive, however, there are so many places to dine, it is not hard to find a reasonable place within a few minutes walking distance.

Thankyou Sheraton Moana for starting our vaction off on the right foot and making us comfortable for the few days we stayed with you.

For further information about the hotel and local attractions and restaurants please contact me at dcardy2@cogeco.com

Dave & Catherine

• Stayed: February 2006
16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (5,379)

Reviewed 2 March 2006

The Moana Surfrider is a lovely old hotel with wonderful public areas but the next time I'm in Honolulu I'll definitely stay someplace else. I arrived at the hotel before my husband but the front desk refused to let me check in because "they only had my husband's name on the reservation." This is a minor annoyance but I'm the one that made the reservations and they were made in both our names. Always a joy to be harassed the minute you arrive. The staff was friendly but firm in their resolve to not let me check in.

We stayed in the old Banyan Court wing and had an oceanfront room without lanai. The room was extremely small which was OK but there were a few problems. When you have an oceanfront room you want to open the window coverings and see the ocean and maybe even open the windows. The problem is that the tower next door is so close to these rooms that the folks next door can peer in. Also, as other reviewers have pointed out, the windows will only open a few inches so forget the ocean breezes. Most nights you would want to keep the windows closed anyway to help block the noise from the restaurant/bar below although it does quiet down at a reasonable hour. One night there were strong winds blowing and the windows rattled in their frames all night long and created drafts through the room that caused the entry door to rattle too. She IS an OLD hotel. Another minor irritation was that the sink basin could not be closed to fill the sink with water so forget washing out the skivvies. And you'd think for these rates that you might get a free internet connection but no, they have to nickel and dime you for that too.

On the plus side, the bed was very comfortable although the sheets would not stay on because they didn't fit the bed. Also, the hotel is located on a nice part of the beach with easy access to the water and friendly servers will bring you drinks and food while poolside or in the hotel's beach area. Alcohol is not allowed on the public part of the beach. (All of the waitstaff in all areas of the hotel were very friendly and accommodating.)

All of these things wouldn't be such a big deal if the room rates weren't so high. I much prefer a hotel with a lanai or balcony where I can open the windows and still feel that I have some privacy, especially in the chaos that is Waikiki. Perhaps the newer, tower rooms would have been more to my liking, but they were even more expensive. We also had a pre-paid booking that made it impossible to change the room after arrival without losing money. There are better places to stay for room rates that are comparable to the Four Seasons.

• Stayed: February 2005, travelled on business
22  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 February 2006

My wife and her family stayed at the Moana Surfrider for over a week this past September. When we go back to Oahu we will definitely stay there again. The staff was courteous and the rooms were great. The location was in the center of everything. One of the best hotels that I have ever stayed at. Highly recommend!

14  Thank NDReece
Reviewed 1 February 2006

I stayed at the Moana Surfrider in August 2005 with my two twenty-something daughters...loved it so much I returned with husband for 6 nights the last part of January 2006. We booked through Starwood Perferred Quest Program (it's free to join). We booked a partial ocean view room in the Tower Wing and were upgraded to a deluxe ocean Tower Wing Room. When we went to our room, we were greeted with chocolate strawberries and champagne. Simply can't fave enough about the decor, the comfortable beds, the service, the food...We loved it!! The Royal Hawaiian and the Moana Surfrider are the only two hotels I'd stay at on Waikiki.

• Stayed: January 2006
16  Thank thmar
Reviewed 27 January 2006

I returned yesterday from a 4 night stay at the Moana. As I was frightened by a number of reviews, I only booked for 1 night before leaving home in case I didn't like it and wished to change hotels. As it turned out, I was quite satisfied with the hotel and stayed.
I consider myself to be a rather demanding guest and have worked in establishments including the Four Seasons Hotel in the past.
Though not the most luxurious of hotel rooms (the 1st tower room I had had a peeling bathtub), probably about as good as it gets at Waikiki (in the new tower at least). My Tower partial ocean view room was more than adequate. No noise problems from other rooms or corridor, nice size bathroom & toiletries, and most of the staff were wonderful. I spoke to many hotel guests during their stay and all were very happy with the hotel.
Location is excellent, right in the middle of it all. Pool incredibly small (but who uses the pool)....the public beach areas across from the Hyatt & Marriott are wider and far less crowded than the beach areas in front of the beachfront hotels, but beach area in front of hotel quite nice. Hotel was generous with pool towels and beachfront amenitites were more than adequate. I can also recommend the Catamaran ride on the red & yellow boat that parks out the front...we spotted a whale and sea turtle on our journey.
I thought the Halekulani was a bit too far out of the way for me, and personally would prefer staying at the Marriott end of the beach strip over the Halekulani end.
I plan to return to Honolulu in April and will definitely stay at the Moana again.

• Stayed: January 2006
18  Thank Phoenix88
Eastpointe, Mi.
Reviewed 23 January 2006

We were so pleased with the Surfrider, It was just wonderful. We were on the 14th floor of the new wing over looking the beach and Diamond Head. We left the patio open in the a.m. and in the late evening to hear the waves. The food there was spectacular!! And the evening music and Hula grand to say the least. The bed was a bit soft for us but I slept well. Everyone was very nice, The room's very clean and the room was also very quiet and loads of hot water. The Trialathon was going on at the time and I got alot of cool pic's from our Balcony, My sister and brother in-law were right next door and also enjoyed the room's. They have been to several of the 5***** Hotel's around Oahu and they were very happy with it. They always had our car ready for us and were very friendly. Mary&Tim R.

• Stayed: December 2005
14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 22 January 2006

I live on Oahu, and when staying in Waikiki, this is where I stay....it's just a wonderous special place. I love the history, the high tea every afternoon; and the music; and the beachside bar is very "old Waikiki"....it hasn't lost it's charm...and I wouldn't stay anywhere else except maybe the Royal Hawaiian, next door.

• Stayed: July 2004