“Better than expected”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Port Dover, Canada
“Better than expected”
Reviewed 5 December 2011

My wife and I just returned from a first ever vacation to Hawaii. Hawaii had never been on our "bucket list" but we're delighted we went. I'm going to review a few elements of the trip but this will be the first and I'll try to identify other elements which will appear in separate reviews. The other elements I'll CAPITALIZE so if you're interested you can find them on Trip Advisor (TA).

First, the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani...we'd read lots of TA reviews so our expectations weren't too high. We were pleasantly surprised. The reviews that comment on the fact that the hotel is 'somewhat tired' are correct - but it's great nevertheless. The location is ideal. If there's any location complaint it's the noise on the street but Kalakaua Ave. is Waikiki's main drag. The people watching is outstanding. If there's one complaint it's the street vendors. They're everywhere. But I digress. I'm going to write another review of HONOLULU/OAHU/WAIKIKI but this one should focus on the hotel.

Our room on the 21st floor faced Waikiki Beach. It was wonderful looking out at the surfers that were there from the minute the sun came up to when it was too dark to see. The room was clean and comfortable - if a bit tired. No complaints!!!

The people at the hotel are what makes it. Everyone we met that worked there was friendly and helpful. The all seemed to work hard to make our stay there special and relaxing. I have no complaints. The folks at the front desk went out of their way to ensure we had our every wish fulfilled. The housekeeping staff did a great job. All in all, everyone was terrific. I'd say, such a commitment to customer service starts at the top so congrats to senior management.

Location wise it's excellent. Located right across Kalakaua Ave from Waikiki beach is great. Since we rented a car (at the airport) for the three days we were there we found it easy to navigate around the city and around the Island.

The Sheraton charges a $12.00 per day "resort fee" on top of the room rate. It includes a variety of things like parking, beach chairs, water and fruit brought to you on the beach, a free welcome drink. Aside from the free welcome drink, the only thing we used was the parking and with rates in such a built up area as Waikiki we were glad of the parking garage.

I want to do a couple of other reviews of the trip that have nothing to do with the hotel so if you're interested where I've capitalized certain things, there will be a review of it somewhere on TA. One thing is the WESTJET FLIGHT to Honolulu, another is the NCL CRUISE we took from Oahu to Maui to Hawaii to Kawaii. Four islands, unpack once. Great way to do it.

I'd also be remiss if I didn't comment on two other hotels in separate reviews - the ASTON BEACHWALK HOTEL at Waikiki and the COAST AIRPORT HOTEL in Vancouver.

If you have any questions about this or any other post I'm happy to get your email and I will respond to your questions.

Room Tip: Hi floors in the new tower are quieter and more scenic. Ours was classified as a High Oceanview roo...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Dolfin
sheratonpk, Online Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, responded to this review, 6 December 2011
Aloha Dolfin! We appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments – it’s always great to hear that our guest enjoy themselves during their travels. Our centralized location is of great value to our guests, and we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed this as well. Thank you for your comments regarding our friendly staff and are happy to hear that you felt welcomed to our hotel. We are glad that we exceeded your expectations. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Mahalo!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (727)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 December 2011

My daughter had a competion in Hawaii and we stayed and had a great time. We got upgraded to a better room status and the rate was reasonable however the resort fees are ridiculess. They charge you for every day you`re there even if you`re out of the hotel all day every day like we were because of her competion.

Room Tip: Make sure you know what your rate really covers
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank disappointed438
sheratonpk, Online Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, responded to this review, 5 December 2011
Aloha disappointed438 and thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I am sorry to hear that you did not find our resort charge inclusions to your benefit and have shared this with our management team. We appreciate your comments as this will help us to improve. Mahalo.
Reviewed 29 November 2011

We stayed here because friends we were traveling with got us a really cheap rate. If it wasn't so cheap, I would not have been happy at all. Our room was so tiny, I jokingly called it the "kleenex box" all weekend. It was so small that the wall was literally a couple steps from the bed. Also, there was a piece of masking tape holding the curtain together! Aside from that, the room was very clean & the staff very helpful. My sister had gotten a room with two queen beds and it was huge & overlooked the beautiful Sheraton Moana Surfrider. Guess some of us just weren't lucky! Overall it was clean, the bed was comfy & it was very near to the action & great restaurants of Waikiki.

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank Surfchic55
sheratonpk, Online Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, responded to this review, 30 November 2011
Aloha Surfchic55 and thank you for your honest feedback. We regret to hear your concerns with your room accommodations and would like to connect with you so that we can have this fixed immediately. Please feel free to contact me at randi.okuhara@sheraton.com so we can discuss your concerns further. I look forward to hearing from you soon. Mahalo.
Sammamish
Reviewed 29 November 2011

Stayed at the hotel for 8 nights during Thanksgiving holiday. The lobby, the common area downstairs are lovely and great parking garage at the back of the hotel. We stayed one night in a king size bedroom and then moved to a double bedroom. Both rooms are very aged.
The bathrooms are old, fixtures gold plated had rubbed off to silver. The beds are warned to the point that my husband woke up with a backache in the morning.
The daily maid service was inconsistance. some days were better than others. One day we came back to the room and our shower curtain dissapeared!!
We are Starwood gold members and we stayed at Sheraton around the world. This one definately sub standard for Sheraton.

Room Tip: The tower has no wi fi in the room
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank pamseattle
Pacoima, CA
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I had a last minute change of hotels due to the resort closing down for renovations. I worked with a travel agent who offered the Sheraton. I thought the Sheraton is a well known name amongst hotels so how could I go wrong and I really wanted my first trip to Hawaii to be issue free. My first issue with the property is that it is in need of remodeling. The manager of the hotel sent us a fruit basket and chocolates which was nice. The food within the hotel I thought was too expensive. The street noise was bearable because we were on a high floor. The staffed helped you but were not overly friendly.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank QAuntie
sheratonpk, Online Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, responded to this review, 29 November 2011
Thank you QAuntie for your honest feedback. I regret to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectations and offer my sincerest apologies. I am glad that you enjoyed our fruit basket and chocolate amenities. Thank you again for your comments.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We extended our vacation by a day and our hotel (Moana) didn't have availability so we move to the Sheraton Princess for the last night since that was where the Moana had parked the car. There is a Sheraton down the beach from the Moana where we had spent a few afternoons/evenings so I didn't think twice that this particular Sheraton would be as disappointing as it turned out to be since it was across the street from the Moana and 1 block from the beach.

1) Our car was broken into
2) One of the ladies at the front desk was dismissive when trying to check in - luckily, there was someone else that was much more pleasant and ready to work
3) The parking/towel process/coupon is a huge pain and makes one feel instantly under suspicion
4) The rooms were old, dirty, and had peeling wall paper
5) The front desk is non-responsive to phone calls from the room (a few calls over a 15 minute period - one call was actually picked up and then immediately hung up by the staff) and the guest services rep suggested that I just keep calling and letting the phone ring. I suggested that she leave a message for someone to call me back. Fortunately, that person was responsive.
6) The pool area is small
7) The lobby was full of vendors
8) The holiday decorations were over the top and tacky

I would not stay here again and I will contact Starwood for suggesting that this Sheraton would be a good way for a Platinum member to use an award night.

Room Tip: I was on the top floor, am a platinum member, and the rooms were still terrible so I can't offer...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank EBell22
Thank you EBell22 for taking the time to review our hotel. It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet the expectations that previous Sheraton Hotels have provided for you. One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvement and your feedback provides our hotel with valuable information that we can review to improve on for the future. I am deeply troubled to hear about your concerns especially the car experience. If this occurred on our property, I want to follow up immediately with our security staff, so we can investigate further. Please feel free to reach out to me directly at randi.okuhara@sheraton.com with your contact details. I look forward to hearing from you soon. Mahalo.
Irvine, California
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Hotel was in a great location, right off the main strip. The accommodations were pretty sub par I stayed on the 3rd floor room 317. There was this loud mechanical noise that pretty much hindered my sleep. The hotel was full so we couldn't change rooms. I'd stay clear of this room if at all possible. Room and bathroom weren't very clean. I give the low rating for the room quality. I'd assume if I got a better room on the higher floors it would have been a better stay.

Overall the property was nice, great location in Waikiki if you're staying in the area...you can pretty much walk to everything in the area.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NKIM20
Mahalo NKIM20 for the feedback you have provided while visiting with us. I am sorry to hear of your experience and apologize that we were unable to offer you an alternate guest room due to our high occupancy. I would like our engineering and housekeeping teams to inspect the room you had so we can address your concerns. Please feel free to contact me at randi.okuhara@sheraton.com to discuss further. Thank you again.