“Great location in Waikiki”

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani
Ranked #53 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 19 November 2012

It isn't a 5-star hotel - but I had a 5-star stay. The balcony view was excellent from the higher tower. To the right I looked over the Moana Hotel with the beautiful Pacific Ocean in the background. To the left I could see the Ala Wai Canal with the Golf Course in the background. In front was the beautiful Diamond Head partially blocked by several very tall hotels!

Room Tip: 19th floor was great except for the noise from air-conditioners on top of lower buildings. It is qu...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
sheratonpk, Online Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2012

Aloha billanddoyle and thank you very much for your amazing review. We are so pleased to hear that you had a 5-star stay with us. We are happy that you enjoyed your balcony view of the Pacific Ocean and Diamond Head. We hope to see you back soon. Mahalo nui loa.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,666)

Reviewed 18 November 2012

Third visit to the Princess Kaiulani, twice in two years. Location is great and even if the rooms are a little old - who wants to do much more than sleep in a hotel room in Waikiki. The staff are fantastic - I arrived at 7.45am after an overnight flight from Melbourne - the girl who booked me in did everything she could to get me into my room ASAP. She gave me access to a courtesy suite and chased me down once my room was ready. She was also very helpful in organising for a nearby room on the same floor for my daughter who was arriving the next day. The lady who cleaned our rooms learnt our routine and would usually have our rooms cleaned between our morning coffee break and meander and our return to get ready to go to the beach. The concierge arranged the rental of a Ford Mustang for a day at a ridiculously cheap price. The price and location just across the road from Waikiki beach makes up for any slight shortfall in decor. Our rooms were clean, the bed was very comfortable and sitting on the lanai reading, sipping a pineapple juice and looking at the very blue ocean what more can you ask for. Thank you for nine terrific days and we will be back.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank OzMum231
sheratonpk, Online Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2012

Mahalo nui loa OzMum231 for your wonderful feedback. We thank you for being such a loyal guest to the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani Hotel and for always returning to stay with us. We are so pleased that our staff was able to meet your needs and ensure you had a enjoyable stay. We hope to see you again soon. Aloha!

Reviewed 18 November 2012

First, the hotel staff is very friendly. This is probably the best attribute of the hotel. The location is also very central. However, the hotel is old and needing updating. My room was functional and clean, but it was dated and in desperate need of a refurbishment. The room was not very relaxing. When I first walked into my room, reminded me of a Motel 6 or Travelodge (…low budget one star property...plastic cups!!!). More concerning was the noise from neighboring rooms. My room had pass through doors to both neighboring rooms. When I went to change rooms, I was told that there were no more rooms without pass through doors available. I could hear the television all night long from one room and the partying college kids in the other. Was not a relaxing stay!!! Being a Starwood Preferred member, I feel that this hotel should be disbranded and not part of Starwood since it does not live up to the quality and reputation of Starwood properties.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room with no pass through doors. Rooms facing pool/ocean have considerable stree...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Enricotx

Thank you Enricotx for your honest comments. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our friendly staff and convenient location. It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet the expectations that previous Starwood Hotels have provided for you. I have shared your feedback with our management team so that we can improve our services. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience. Mahalo.

Reviewed 16 November 2012

First time to Honolulu and even though it was during the slow season I didnt know it was going to be so packed. The hotel started off by having my moms room ready but not ours so as soon as i saw my moms room had a poor view of the street i immediately went and requested an upgrade which luckily there was one oceanview left and i got it for only 170 more for the 4 nights! It was the best amazing view and I could look right down onto the streets and also the hotel entertainment music by the pool at night. I liked our room 1406 bc we I dont think I wouldve been enjoying waiting for the elevator to take me up to the 30th floor it was a battle enough to get down to the lobby form the 14th. The pool closed early and opened late didnt go in it one time. Its a pain to have to walk acroiss the street to get to the beach honestly I will spend more next time to be on beachfront property its just better I think. If you stay here dont forget to use the other sheratons infinity pool I went there early one morning and it was deserted it was gorgeous right on the ocean literally. One thing continuously bothered me but i am used to was the constant id checking at the bar and the one drink per person policy the whole entire time I couldnt even bring a drink 5 feet to my mother or gf if I had one already in hand for myself they had to bring you multiple drinks and it got old real quick. The bathroom was really the only part of the room id say maybe was a little outdated. the breakfast buffet is like 20 bucks or more per person but theres plenty of places to eat right around there. No loud noises, maids did a great job and were very very friendly, very helpful. I would stay here again but like I said iM going to opt to be right on the beach next time but honestly honolulu is way too crowded tourist trap for me I might try maui next time.

Room Tip: Just make sure you request a room higher than the 11th floor and if you dont like it just ask kindly...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank MATT640

Aloha MATT640 and thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We are pleased to hear that we were able to accommodate your request for an ocean view and that you enjoyed the views. Regarding your comment on using the other Sheraton’s infinity pool, we do not allow the sharing of our hotel pools. I do apologize if you were misinformed; however our guests are only able to use the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani pool. Thank you again for sharing your comments with us. Mahalo.

Reviewed 15 November 2012

This hotel is located in the center of Waikiki and is walking distance to everything, the beach, shopping and restaurants. Thank goodness that there is a lot to do nearby because the rooms are very outdated for the price they are charging. We paid for an upgraded ocean view that has a partial view of the ocean. Additionally, front desk service was extremely slow! They mentioned the hotel was sold out but they only had 2 people checking staff in during their busy periods, leaving people waiting upwards of 20+ minutes just to speak to someone. We probably won't come here again as we prefer more updated hotels and quicker service.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jodie99
sheratonpk, Online Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2012

Aloha Jodie99 and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. Our centralized location in the heart of Waikiki is very popular with our guests and we are happy that you found it to be convenient. We do apologize for the challenges you have faced and I have shared this with our front office team. We appreciate your honest feedback as this will help us to service our guests. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back. Mahalo.

Reviewed 13 November 2012

This hotel is right in the heart of Waikiki. The rooms are very simple and not decorated. The bathrooms could use a refurbish, but were functional. The bed was very comfortable and we had no complaints with the view or noise. We paid for a deluxe view, but we're only on the 17th floor and at the back of the hotel. The view was OK and it was quiet. Not sure it was worth any additional money. We rented a car for the week since we were paying for parking in the resort fee. We never had an issue with getting a parking spot. I would highly recommend the additional purchase of a Garmin. Overall close to the beach and restaurants. The beach chairs and towels were a big convenience as well. Not deluxe, but completely adequate....Would not recommend the buffet. The price was was too high for the quality of food. Duke's right across the street had a daily buffet for half the price with quality food and a view that could not be beat!

Room Tip: The higher the room the better the view. I would also recommend a room in the tower overlooking the...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Higgsdb33
sheratonpk, Online Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2012

Aloha Higgsdb33 and thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our location being right in the heart of Waikiki as well as our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds. We appreciate your valuable feedback and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon. Mahalo.

Reviewed 12 November 2012

This hotel is directly across the road from Waikiki beach, which is ideally located. It is close to all the major shops and restaurants in Honolulu which means that you are within walking distance to most things. The hotel itself has outstanding staff working for them. The employees at the reception desk were always helpful and very friendly. Likewise, so were the housekeeping staff and restaurant staff. The buffet breakfast was excellent. The gym was well equipped with all new equipment and there was enough equipment so that you did not need to wait to access anything in the gym. The gym, however is extremely hot. One oscillating fan on a side wall is not enough air flow in a hot gym area. The lifts were also extremely hot. My husband and I kept joking about having to get stuck in a lift if it broke down because you would dehydrate in one of them within minutes....it's that hot inside the lifts. The hotel rooms really need to be renovated. We were upgraded to a partial ocean view room which was very nice of the hotel to do so but when I saw how much is actually charged for that room, I would NEVER pay those prices for the run down room. In the week we stayed at the hotel, we saw no less than 6 small cockroaches in our hotel room. The rooms were quite small and wifi access was only available in the hotel lobby. The hotel needs to advance with the times, especially in an establishment that charges a resort fee for things such as Internet access!! The hotel pool was nothing fancy either. It was a small oval pool surrounded by some chairs and very minimal shade was available. No pool floats were allowed to be used in the pool which was worrying when the pool was 8 meters deep at one end and young kids who can't swim were in the pool. The pool also closed very early. In a beach resort area, I would expect that the pool would stay open later than 6pm. The whole pool area also needs a huge face lift and the size of the pool should be increased significantly.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank sydneymel28
sheratonpk, Online Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2012

Thank you sydneymel28 for taking the time to share your honest feedback with us. We appreciate your comments and suggestions as this will help us to improve our guests services and amenities. I have shared this with our management team and we thank you for the level of details that you have provided. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani Hotel. Thank you again. Mahalo.