“Good People, Great Location”

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani
Ranked #52 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles
“Good People, Great Location”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

After a week stay in Maui, we stopped over in Oahu and stayed 2 nights here in August. Everything was perfect. Check in was easy. The parking structure was just around the corner. Waikiki Beach was across the street. Walking distance to shops and restaurants. Room was clean & bed was comfy. Slept like a baby. Had a street view/pool view. Had the buffet in the restaurant and spent a lot of money in the bar. They have the best Lava Flow!!! My husband and I are not real picky travelers, but as long time SPG members we do have specific expectations when we stay at Starwood properties or at any other hotels: outstanding service (it is easy to smile and be courteous and helpful), a safe environment, comfortable accommodations, and value for our hard earned money. Sheraton PK did not disappoint. We look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
sheratonpk, Online Marketing & PR Coordinator at Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Aloha mckcluv2travel and thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani Hotel. We're very happy to learn that you had a lovely vacation with us here at the PK and we truly appreciate your kind comments regarding our friendly associates. Thank you for your continued loyalty and enthusiasm for Starwood as an SPG member. We look forward to welcoming you back again. Mahalo!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (736)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Recently spent 7 nights here. Thoroughly enjoyed the accommodations and amenities. The room (27th floor) w/balcony - was spacious and had a fantastic view of Waikiki Beach and the ocean (even from the bed when drapes were opened). The bed was comfortable and there was plenty of storage space (large closet & large dresser). Having a small fridge, in-room coffee, and in-room safe were pluses. The check-in was slow (only one front-desk agent!) but we found staff to be friendly & courteous - especially our housekeeper "Gloria" - who was fantastic (genuinely happy, friendly & accommodating). There is a resort fee...however it includes parking, free wi-fi & use of beach towels & the nicest Tommy Bahama beach chairs...
(Note: this property is not on the beach - and you will have to carry your chairs over - but just cross the street, walk 1/2 block and your there). The pool area is the hub of the hotel and almost seems like the lobby...there were plenty of lounge chairs...much of the dining and entertainment is done around the pool also (food is pricey). The internet lounge was very comfortable with plenty of desk-top stations for guests use. As other reviews have mentioned - the Sheraton Princess is a little "dated" and could use some sprucing up but it is a great value, in a fantastic location, with all the amenities you could want. If you're looking for luxury - you might be dissappointed. This was my 6th trip to Hawaii and I honestly don't spend much time in the room - so the money spent for "luxury" would be wasted. I am "picky" though when it comes to hotels - reputable, clean, safe, good location, etc, - Princess Kaiulani fit the bill and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Upgrade to rooms in the higher tower for balconies & views.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank gogoddess
Aloha gogoddess and thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani Hotel. We're happy to learn that you enjoyed your vacation with us and we really appreciate your kind comments regarding our friendly associates, particularly Gloria your housekeeper. Thank you for sharing your thorough review, as we know it takes quite some time to share your experiences. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Mahalo!
Seattle
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Checked in tonight-- a 3 hour ordeal-- I have never written a review before but my experience has been so horrible I feel the need to save someone from my experience-- if there was not a cancellation fee I would be gone by now.

The hotel is dated-- I was put in the most horrible room on the other side of the elevator-- it was like train tracks were in the room with me-- when I went out of my way to request a quiet room. The room they moved me to has furniture that is completely beat up and damaged and the air conditioner does not work-- but the RUDE hotel manager thought she was doing me a favor by taking me away from the room that shared a wall with the elevator-- when I said I wanted a room with a working air conditioner she told me "this is Hawaii after all-- it will be warm and noisy."

I am paying $200 a night-- for that I expect air conditioning and furniture that isn't completely damaged-- do not stay here-- it is so dated, the staff is rude (I asked the hotel operator if there was a charge for the bottled water-- she said look for a tag and hung up on me.

Room Tip: Do not stay in 1648 which shares a wall with the elevator. Just do not stay here at all!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank mia425
Aloha mia425 and thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We truly regret to learn that your experience with us is less than satisfactory and we're quite disappointed that the service you received was not to our Sheraton standard. Please know that all of our associates are trained to treat all of our guests with utmost aloha and we're truly disappointed that this was not delivered to you during your stay. We truly apologize for this less than satisfying experience. We've shared your concerns with our management team who is committed to using reviews such as this one to train and coach their associates in order to ensure our guests have excellent experiences with us. Thank you again for taking the time to share your review. Mahalo.

Travellers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights on the 6th floor with water views. The room was big with all the amenities and was clean, it looked a bit dated though, but that wasn't a big deal. The bed was comfy and we had a balcony that opened to the view of the pool area and the ocean, the live music by the pool bar was also entertaining. They have parking facilities, beach towel & deck chair service. Every morning I would look forward to the yummy buffet breakfast.
Nice staff and good customer service, a perfect location and reasonably priced. What more can you ask for.

If I had the chance to go back to Waikiki, I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
sheratonpk, Online Marketing & PR Coordinator at Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Aloha SammySyd and thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani Hotel. We're happy to learn that you enjoyed your time with us and we appreciate your kind comments regarding your room as well as your liking for our buffet and nightly entertainment. We know you have many choices when selecting a hotel here in Waikiki and we thank you for selecting the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani Hotel. Mahalo!
Miami Beach, Florida, United States
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Most reviews here are fairly accurate. Great staff and customer service keeps this hotel running. That and the less expensive rates and convenient location keeps the hotel occupied. Alas the facilities and rooms are in bad need of a renovation. The pool is very small for a hotel of this size. The lobby is pretty and well kept. The buffet area right by the pool/lobby area often sends not the best seafood odor throughout the floor. The nightly music entertainment is okay and food is so so at best. There are better hotels nearby and on the beach, but you'll pay more.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Colin N
Aloha Colin N and thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani Hotel. We appreciate your honest feedback as well as your kind comments regarding our friendly associates and convenient location. We know you have many choices when selecting a hotel in Waikiki and truly appreciate your choice to stay with us at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani Hotel. Mahalo!
MELBOURNE
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Checked in October 8,2013. The computer system was down which caused check in to take about 10 minutes. They were unable to issue a key so a manager escorted us to the room on the seventh floor to let us in. Everyone was very polite and helpful. The room was large and clean. The view was of the tiny pool,nice but not special. The beach was a short walk across the street to one of the best beaches on planet earth. The building is old and needs work but for what it is and where it is it's great.Property is really in the heart of downtown Honolulu. A short walk to resturants, attractions,beaches. Public transportation is nearby and easy to figure out.We had a plumbing problem that was repaired right away and the television repair was tried one day and the set was switched out the next call. Had a great time and would recommend it highly

Room Tip: Higher you go the better the view.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gcaver
sheratonpk, Online Marketing & PR Coordinator at Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Aloha gcaver and thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani Hotel. We're happy to learn that your overall stay was enjoyable. We'd like to apologize for the inconveniences caused due to the down systems during check-in as well as the plumbing and television issues; thank you for sharing that these were quickly responded to and resolved by our associates. We know you have many choices when selecting a hotel in Waikiki and we truly thank you for choosing to stay with us. Mahalo.
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 17 October 2013

The only good thing to note about this hotel is its location.
Aside from that, I was not inspired to come back. The entire hotel is in desperate need of a serious makeover. The room, whilst clean, showed several signs of wear and tear, and the fitout needs modernising. First time in many years that I came across non-adjustable aircon - all you can do is turn the fan on or off, but the temperature is pre-set and cannot be changed. As a result I found the room to be uncomfortably warm during the das and somewhat chilly at night.

As for the staff, they were generally quite friendly , however an experience at the end of my stay significantly brought down the overall impression.
Having realised that I had left a power converter and phone charger in my room I called the hotel 20 minutes after checking out, at 6 in the morning. I explained the situation and was assured that security would immediately go up to the room to retrieve the items. My friend, who was staying in Waikiki for another couple of days, could then pick them up later in the day.
When he asked at reception in the afternoon, there was no record of the incident, and staff were indifferent and quite rude. I then called the hotel - from overseas, as I had travelled home - and also received sub-standard service. After being passed back and forth between Reception and Security, it culminated with the hotel's customer service manager telling me that 'there is nothing else we can do' and 'oh well, that's just the way it is...'.
Thankfully the items weren't particularly valuable, but the inconvenience combined with the arrogant attitude of some hotel staff means that I for one won't be going back.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Alex B
sheratonpk, Online Marketing & PR Coordinator at Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Aloha Alex B and thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani Hotel. We truly regret to learn that your time with us did not meet your expectations, as our mission is to deliver great service with the utmost aloha spirit. We are very disappointed to learn about the experience at the end of your stay and have shared this review with our managers and security team, as this type of report is not something we take lightly. We've sent you a private message requesting for further information regarding your date of stay and room number so that our housekeeping and guest service managers can review their logs for this incident. Please know that we are truly sorry that this incident tainted your experience here with us. We appreciate your honest feedback regarding your interactions with our associates. Mahalo.