“Not up to SPG stanrds”

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani
Ranked #54 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 7 November 2013

This hotel is old and tired.

The staff does the best they can with what they have to work with.

It just should not have the Sheraton name on it.

The in-room internet was fine and the TV service was good. AC was OK.

The noise from the street can be unbearable,

Housekeeping was inconsistent and the bathrooms outdated.

Would have checked out if we had not pre-paid.

Room Tip: Avoid the side tower that overlooks the International Market, very noisy.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Buytheshorts
sheratonpk, Online Marketing & PR Coordinator at Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Aloha Buytheshorts and thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani Hotel. We regret to learn that your stay was less than satisfying. We apologize for the inconveniences caused by the noise levels on the street. We've sent you a private message to request for your room number so that our housekeeping managers can follow-up with the housekeepers assigned to your room. Thank you again for your time. Aloha.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

Whatever you do, don't stay here. I was expecting the the standards of a Sheraton but instead was shocked to find one of the worst hotels I've seen. This is not up to the standard of any of their other properties! Old, dirty, broken and infested!

Our first room was extremely musty and the A/C didn't work. The carpet was stained, there were holes in the blinds, and the bed side lights did not work. It was small and old and generally dirty. I called down about the A/C and they said I could look at another room one floor up.

The second room looked like the first but the A/C worked. It was slightly musty and the lights worked but honestly it looked like it hadn't been updated since the 80s. My roommate tweeted pictures of our first room and they called us to see at that point if we wanted to see a third room in the tower.

The third room was in the tower and seems like it was updated slightly more recently than the others. Perhaps the early 90s. This room had a weird blood-like stain in the bathroom. We took it out of frustration. Upon returning from dinner, I flicked on the lights and found a visitor on the bedside table. A COCKROACH! I tried to kill it but it escaped into the drawer. The hotel staff offered to come spray it or fumigate the room. But I have asthma and don't want to stay in a chemical fog. I just want a bug free clean nice room!

We are stuck here because we pre-paid for the two nights through an Alaska Airlines vacation special. I'll NEVER do that again. We chose it because it is a Starwood property an because we wanted our last two nights to be relaxing and tranquil and special. I'll go so far as to say this has ruined my vacation. I've never been so disappointed in a hotel of this caliber.

We also found out from the staff that it's due to be torn down next year. I just want to make sure no one else makes the mistake did. It's not worth it! The staff seemed apologetic and embarrassed but that has not made up for this mess.

Room Tip: Choose a tower room, they're more updated, but not in this century.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Sophiecurtis

Aloha Sophiecurtis and thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We apologize that your recent stay with us was less than satisfactory. While it is always disappointing to learn about dissatisfying experiences, we appreciate your honesty as it allows our team to ensure action is taken to assist our guests. We apologize that our efforts did not result in a complete resolution. Thank you to you and your roommate for your handwritten thank you note to our staff for their efforts; this means a lot to the team. Mahalo.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

I've stayed at this hotel over the last several years and I'm done with it. I liked the location and the fact that most (if not all) all of the rooms have balconies. But after my most recent stay, I'm done with this property. I'm a loyal Starwood member but if I can't stay at a different affiliated property, I'll stay at the Marriott (see my review). While the actual room was OK, the bathroom was in disrepair. They should be embarrassed at charging $200+ a night for a room in that condition. I'll admit I'm terribly annoyed by resort fees, but at the very least I expect to be able to use the services provided for by the fee. I think it's "amusing" that as airlines unbundle fees and charge for those that passengers "want," hotels are bundling fees together that I do not want and make it a mandatory fee. The only "bundled" fee I cared about was the Internet access (which I can get for free because of my status at most every other Starwood property but not here). I had 3 wifi enabled devices with me, and was only able to access the Internet once in 5 days for about 30 minutes before it dropped off. But I know my devices worked (one excuse the hotel used for my inability to connect) was that I was always able to connect in the lower level public areas of the hotel. I asked the front desk for assistance at least 3 times for this and another service issue and was met with either enthusiastic offers of assistance to indifference, but it didn't matter, no service commitment was followed through on (and the one time I asked to speak to a manager he/she was not available). Literally they would promise assistance within 15 minutes and an hour later I would still be waiting in the room with no help (and no note or voicemail apologizing and offering assistance). I started my stay at the Courtyard by Marriott (because no Starwood property had availability) and wish I'd stayed there. Give this property a pass. Oh, and there are prostitutes at the southeast corner of the property in the evening near Kalakau Avenue, annoying for guests that don't want to be bothered with that attention.

Room Tip: Don't stay here, but if you do, ask for a view of Diamond Head.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank cadence8

Aloha cadence8 and thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We regret to learn that you're most recent stay with us was less than satisfying. We apologize for the challenges you experienced with the wifi service in your room. Please know that our Starwood Waikiki Director of Technology has resolved challenges with the wifi routers in our resort. Thank you for your honest feedback regarding responsiveness and follow-through by our associates, as this allows our team to ensure proper coaching takes place to improve this area. We understand the frustration involved with the pedestrians in the surrounding area. Our hotel and our neighboring hotels unfortunately do not have jurisdiction over the public sidewalks, however our security teams work hard to ensure unregistered guests do not loiter on our properties. Again, we apologize for the less than satisfying experience. Mahalo for your time and honest feedback. Aloha.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

Check in was very friendly and efficient. Was sent to the wrong room first but this was rectified quickly. Our room was very clean and serviced beautifully. Food at the hotel was lovely, however there were 1 or 2 not very friendly dining room staff. Actually, the service around the pool area in general was not as good as I would expect. Marsha at the Travel desk was awesome. Booked our day trips efficiently and was lovely to my children. She even took the time to give them a talk about Pearl Harbour. Thanks Marsha! You really prepared them well for that day trip! Had no problem at all getting poolside chairs and never experienced queues for the lift. Would never, ever again go to the medical centre attached to the hotel. My daughter had a throat infection and they tried to sell me antibiotics for $250!!! After a lecture from me, they returned 10 minutes later with $30 antibiotics. Disgraceful!! Bathrooms need renovating and paying a resort fee is a joke. It's in a great central location and we were very happy staying here.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Aloha Helen E and thank you for taking a moment to review your recent stay with us. We're happy to hear that many aspects of your vacation with us were pleasurable and we thank you for your kind notes regarding Marsha at our Tour Desk; we always enjoy hearing about our associates providing wonderful experiences. We apologize for the challenge you experienced with Straub Doctor's on Call, as we know this type of situation is not ideal. We unfortunately do not have input on their fee structure as they're a separately operating business from our hotel. Please know however that we appreciate your feedback and have shared it with the team. Mahalo and thank you for choosing the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani Hotel.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

Staff were pleasant that is it. The facilities such as the gym were a joke and the room probably resembled what I could only imagine to be a back packers retreat. Thin walls where you could hear the hair dryer from next door at 11 pm, dreaming that your wife had woken to dole her self but to realize it was coming from next door. We were that distressed we started searching for accommodation that night even though we had pre- paid for the accommodation, so our holiday was not ruined any further.

Thank God the Moana Surfrider had accommodation available.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Harry L

Aloha Harry L and thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We regret to learn that your stay was less than satisfactory and we apologize for the inconveniences experienced due to noise levels of neighboring rooms. We appreciate your note regarding our pleasant staff. Again, we apologize for these inconveniences and we thank you for your honest feedback. Mahalo.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

Stayed three nights, bedroom spacious, clean and bedding most comfortable with two king size beds. Good location for the shops, restaurants and Waikiki beach.
Excellent room service, helpful staff.
Down side being hotel very busy, queues for lift and difficulty finding empty poolside chairs.
Cost of breakfast quite high but plenty of alternative breakfast venues close to the hotel.
Good central location for exploring Honolulu,

Room Tip: Pool facing rooms on higher floors the best.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank vuepoint

Aloha vuepoint and thank you for taking a moment to review your recent stay with us at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani Hotel. We're happy to learn that you enjoyed your time here and we appreciate your honest feedback regarding your experience. Thank you again for sharing. Aloha!

Reviewed 30 October 2013

Positive feedback: Bed linen, matress and pillows were great. Room was serviced to a high standard. Location is great. Hotel lobby very inviting. View is great.
Negative feedback: Rooms look shabby, outdated and 'tired'. Unfriendly dining room staff. Pool in need of some urgent cosmetic work. WIFI did not work in rooms. Several computers in the computer lounge did not operate correctly. Breakfast is very 'ordinary'. Plumbing is poor (overflowing toilet, no water for several hours). Large amounts of mould in bathroom. Paying a 'Daily Resort Fee' is a definite rip off.
Wouldn't stay here again or recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an ocean view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Denise R
sheratonpk, Online Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Aloha Denise R and thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani Hotel. We appreciate your honest and kind feedback regarding your bedding and room service, however we're quite disappointed that other aspects of our stay were less than satisfying. We truly regret to learn that you did not receive the service your deserve and expect from our dining room staff, as this is uncharacteristic of our associates who are trained to serve all of our guests with utmost aloha. We'd like our team to follow-up immediately on the Internet, computer and restroom concerns and we will send you a private message shortly requesting for your room number. Again, we apologize that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. We value your feedback, as we've shared this with our team to ensure proper follow-up and resolutions are made. Mahalo.