“Great location and price”

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani
Ranked #53 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 4 March 2014

we went to this hotel on a friend's recommendation and weren't disappointed. our ocean view room had a proper view of Waikiki Beach looking towards Diamond Head (which was unfortunately blocked by the Hyatt).(We also stayed in an ocean view room at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach, but you had to be standing at the balcony door to see a partial view towards Ala Moana). Staff were great, even the in room coffee and tea was OK and plentiful. It's in a great location near the international marketplace and you just cross the road (Kalakaua Ave) to a pathway that leads to the beach next to the Outrigger. In our room we could leave the balcony door open for fresh air which was a good option.

Room Tip: 10th floor and above is much quieter
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
sheratonpk, Online Marketing & PR Coordinator at Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Aloha tarquin_10 and thank you for taking a moment to review your recent stay with us at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani Hotel. We're happy to learn that you enjoyed your vacation with us and we appreciate your honest and fair feedback regarding your experience. Mahalo!

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Princess Kaiulani

Reviewed 3 March 2014

I booked my room, then read the reviews and I have to admit I was worried. The three things that are important to me in my hotel are: cleanliness, Wi-Fi connection, and a good night's rest. I got all three here, at the Sheraton. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable and the pillows were perfect, the linen was not tired, but at least 500 count percale, and I had Wi-Fi. The first time I checked in to drop off my bags early I had a smart and pleasant reservations clerk who took care of my needs quickly. When I returned to get me key card later in the evening, I had a cheerful but absolutely clueless clerk. I guess when the sun sets, the cranial lights go out also.

I actually, like this location a lot. It is very close to Waikiki, and right across the omnipresent ABC Store, and King's Alley, where you can watch the Hawaiian Honor Guard Drill. They have a long version and a short version. It is very interesting to watch.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Aloha 12Safari and thank you for taking a moment to review your stay with us. We're happy to learn that you enjoyed pleasant and comfortable vacation here at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani Hotel. We appreciate your honest and kind feedback regarding your experience. Mahalo!

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Yes, they are going to do a renovation, but I had a good experience staying here. The check-in and check-out process was perfectly fine, and my room was very comfortable. I was on the 23rd floor, and looked out over the Moana Surfrider to the ocean. Saw the fireworks one night over the ocean. It's a great location, right in the middle of everything in Waikiki. I was working, so didn't really have much time to enjoy the amenities, and only had breakfast there the morning before we left. But, it was good overall.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Aloha alphaphitraveler and thank you for taking a moment to review your recent stay with us at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani Hotel. We're happy to learn that you enjoyed a comfortable and pleasant stay with us and we appreciate your honest and fair feedback regarding your experience. Mahalo.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

got a great rate and since its right across the street from Waikiki Beach decided to check it out. while location is great the room was from the fifties or maybe sixties and the furniture was very worn. Would have been very disappointed if I had paid normal Waikiki prices. Even the pool was dated - most of it 6-7 feet deep. Hotel is closing August 1.

1  Thank BMWTravel1952

Aloha BMWTravel1952 and thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani Hotel. We regret to learn we did not meet your expectations and we apologize for our shortcomings. Thank you again for taking the time to share your comments. Mahalo.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

The hotel is sold and going to be knocked down this summer. Thus dirty, smelly scary run down place. Staff just bidding time as they will have no jobs after August. My room is right over the trash area and except for the smell and noise it's the best they can do. Lobby open aired and still smells. RUN away from this dump

• Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank kimkorber

Aloha kimkorber and thank you for taking a moment to review your recent stay with us at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani Hotel. We regret to learn that your stay with us did not meet your expectations and we apologize for our shortfalls in service delivery. We are indeed in the planning phases of a redevelopment and renovation project. Thank you for sharing your feedback and concerns. Mahalo!

Reviewed 25 February 2014

My wife and I arrived at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani at our normal check-in time to be told that we needed to check back in 3 hours due to guest who hadn't checked out of the room yet. No apologies. My wife and I went on a drive around Honolulu to check out the sights. When we finally checked into our room, a horrendously foul odor hit us! We were unsure of what the smell was but upon investigating the room, nothing was clean! It was horrible to see dirty finger smudges on walls, light switches, bathroom fixtures. I immediately talked to an uninterested local bruddah with pierced ears at the front desk who told me that he'd have housekeeping stop by to freshen the room up. I informed him (let's leave his nameless, i'm sure ownership will deal with this guy) we had a constant leak above our shower, chipped walls and broken furniture. The sheets and pillows smelled like urine. He simply replied "ok" with no compensation or room moves offered. We ended up at WalMart to purchase cheap pillows, sheets, and cleaning supplies. When we arrived back, housekeeping didn't show up as promised.

We ended up putting a Do Not Disturb sign on our door so that we could keep track of our bedding and belongings. We informed the front desk and concierge of our concerns but nothing was done. Heck I even posted something on twitter to grab the attention of ownership.

Upon checkout, I voiced my concerns and frustrations with the Front Desk Agent. She said that she would pass the information along to her boss and took my guest comment card. No one has contacted me, offered any sort of compensation, or even thanked us for our stay. I would appreciate some sort of re-imbursement for our troubles. "IS ANYONE LISTENING TO US?"

For future travelers considering this property....AVOID THIS PITFALL AT ALL COSTS!

Room Tip: Don't visit this property. The cost is not worth the experience. The rooms are outdated, the fur...
3  Thank Michael S
sheratonpk, Online Marketing & PR Coordinator at Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Aloha Michael S and thank you for taking the time to share your review of our hotel, but most importantly we'd like to apologize for the less than satisfying experience you had with us at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani. The particular concerns you've shared with us regarding your room are not taken lightly and we've shared this with our team, as it seems this room should not have been released for a guest in the condition you described. Moreover, in such situations, our front desk agents should offer a room move to vacant / clean room and we regret to learn that this was not offered to you. We've sent you a private message requesting for your reservation name and number so that our housekeeping and front desk managers can determine which associates were responsible for assigning and maintaining the room. Again, we apologize that your stay with us was less than satisfactory and we thank you for your honest feedback. Mahalo.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Because I admire the Princess Kauiulani (the woman) I had high hopes for my stay this week at the hotel named for her. Sadly, for a business traveler I cannot recommend this at all. For a family, same thing - 2 thumbs down. The rates were higher than much nicer properties I've visited, the room was a bit of a wreck, and the noise was awful. The staff were very average (a few of the private vendors were friendly, but those were the only happy faces I saw). I heard they're going to be closing for renovations in the near future, and perhaps that explains the dresser drawer that wouldn't stay closed, dust around the middle of the lamps, the stains on the carpet and chairs, the short shower curtain with straight (vs curved) rod that didn't really keep the floor dry. The elevators were often overflowing so getting to/from the room proved challenging time to time, and the restaurants were expensive (there are less expensive places around the area and farmer's markets a few nights a week). A band started at 10P somewhere in the area and kept me awake until midnight each night I was there. The bed lifted in the middle so avoiding a tumble to the floor felt awkward. In spite of the higher rates, this property charges $10 per day for a microwave and $14 a day for wireless internet service in the room. Computers are available in the lobby for those who wish to use them, though printing and time online is limited. The pool looked lovely and evening bands playing near the pool sounded great. It's a close walk to the beach and found some good bargains at the nearby Kings Market, but would not stay again.

Room Tip: Perhaps a room on the street/entry side on a very high (25 or higher?) floor?
2  Thank WanderingRosie

Aloha WanderingRosie and thank you for taking a moment to review your stay with us at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani Hotel. We regret to learn that you stay with us did not meet your expectations and we apologize for our shortcomings. We're disappointed to learn that our associates did not deliver the excellent service and aloha spirit that we're all trained to share with our guests. We appreciate your feedback regarding the room and furniture and we apologize for the the less than pleasant experience this presented for your stay. We offer wifi connectivity to all of our guests as part of our resort charge and we apologize that this was not properly communicated to you, as the noted $14 wifi fee would only be applicable to those interested in upgrading the internet speed, which is most often not necessary for typical usage. Again, we appreciate your honest feedback and we thank you for taking the time to share your comments. Mahalo!