“great location”

GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“great location”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I wrote this review for the sheraton kaiulani site 2 days ago and they have already removed it !! We were given an upgrade to a deluxe ocean view which Ihave to day had we paid for it we would have been at the front desk complaining the room was only slightly bigger than the ocean view rooms, the lanai was smaller than those of the ocean view rooms the view was mainly of the moana hotel with the ocean showing above it and also of the swimming pool but at night the noise from the street was loud and you could hear the group playing by the pool with the lanai doors shut. Speaking of the lanai doors they were heavy to move we asked maintenance on two occassion to oil them and it was done on the second request which helped for most of our stay but not all of it as they were sticking again before we left. Can't comment on the hotel food as we only ate breakfast once as we had a complimentary ticket, the reason we didn't use it was all meals were way too expensive, you can get far more reasonable prices outside. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful the female conceige was useless the male was very good and most helpful. The pool staff were great. Housekeeping well whilst being nice and firendly one day our room didn't get made up at all, the bathroom was not cleaned except for changing out the towels, the bedroom never dusted and the lanai wasn't cleaned at all thoughout our stay. As for the room being deluxe I have visited Oahu many times and stayed in many other hotels of more moderate grade and this did not come up to their standard no pictures on the walls except for one faded small picture of shells in the bathroom!!! Yes renovations are taking place and as I understand it the hotel will now close next year for extensive renovations, hopefully this will improve the so called deluxe rooms however it will probably mean I will not be able to stay as the price will be elevated way out of my price range. Again I must stress that I wrote nearly the same review directly on the Sheraton Kaiulani site at there request and it has been taken off after just 2 days and I notice the site is now filled up with only good reviews!!

Room Tip: If you can afford it go for high ocean view, even though there is work taking place in the now extin...
Green Features: Plenty of recycle bins around the site however no difinetive information on what can be recycled
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Vat2010
sheratonpk, Online Marketing & PR Coordinator at Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Aloha Vat2010 and thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us both on TripAdvisor as well as our Starwood review site. Please know that your review titled "Great Location Needs Some Work" was not removed from our hotel site. The review sort menu does not always sort the reviews in chronological order, which may have l caused it to appear as though it wasn't present. Rest assured, we did not remove the review, if you sort by "newest" you will locate the review on the second page of reviews. We apologize, however that the system's auto sorter caused such confusion. We regret to learn that aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations and we apologize for the inconveniences caused by the lanai doors and street level noise. Our maintenance team is aware of the lanai door issues and is working to ensure all the doors are working properly; thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are indeed undergoing a lobby refresh project, and there are also plans for a more extensive project to begin in the coming year. We again apologize for the inconveniences experienced during your stay and we appreciate your feedback. Mahalo.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (719)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Redwood City
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

I paid extra for high ocean view and I confirmed my spg number before arriving to celebrate my birthday in Honolulu. I got a great room on the 28th floor, but the demolition next door started at 9a-5p. I tried to get another room, but was told my room was an upgrade? I stayed out of the room for three days and my resort fee was waived, but I wanted a room on the other side (like most of photos).

I did enjoy the drink coupons and beach chair/towel service as well as photo shoot with fee photo card with "best shot". I rented an umbrella on the beach for the day and a surfboard for $10 an hour.

I was not given credit for spg account even thought I confirmed before arriving. I was told later it was because I did not book directly with hotel. I will not return because I booked this hotel because it was part of spg program. I recommend the circle hotel because the restaurant below is awesome and same great location.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Bubblebutt2011
Aloha Bubblebutt2011 and thank you for taking a moment for sharing your review of our hotel. We regret to learn that you had a less than satisfactory experience with us and we apologize for the inconvenience caused by the neighboring construction. We also apologize that your request to change rooms was not fulfilled, as our team has been making every effort to provide alternate rooms for guests who are bothered by the nearby construction noise. Unfortunately our SPG points are awarded only to those who book direct with our hotel, as this is part of the direct booking incentive. For future reference, we suggest taking advantage of our best rate guarantee program which allows you to secure a direct booking at the best rate possible. We apologize again that your stay with us did not meet your expectations and we appreciate your honest feedback. Mahalo!
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I stayed here on May 10. Although the location is great, the rooms are dirty and I got bed bug bites! The Manager that I spoke with was unhelpful and dismissive. The street side rooms are very noisy and the back side rooms are next to construction. Avoid the bed bugs and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Wanilla W
Aloha Wanilla W and thank you for taking a moment to review your recent stay with us. We regret to learn that your stay was less than satisfactory. We've sent you a private message regarding your room cleanliness concern and would greatly appreciate if you can share the room number so that we can confirm that all proper steps were taken to thoroughly clean the room. We understand the frustration caused by the neighboring construction and we apologize that this hampered your stay. Thank you again for your feedback. Mahalo!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We have just returned from our holiday on Oahu where we stayed at the Sheraton PK. The hotel is slowly being tidied up - this was happening while we were there but gave us little trouble. We had a pretty good room - sea views. The Moana Surfrider is across the road on the beach side so you have to take into account that there is a lower building in front of yours but hey, when you come from the country, a view of the ocean is something to be marvelled at. The weather was perfect so I am sure that will colour all my reviews but the Sheraton PK is in a great spot for shopping, beaching, and of course all the restaurants that are arms length away. Some people have said that for a Sheraton the PK is disappointing. It's true it's tired and we had a chest of drawers with very dodgy drawers and a fridge that on the first night woke us up. But my husband kicked it and it was fine after that. We were staying at the PK because friends and family were so for all of us it worked brilliantly. The breakfast is great. You can have a full buffet or a continental. I had the continental and it was very very nice. Most mornings though we would get something from the little coffee pod at the front of the gates and have it on the balcony of our room. One of the things I particularly liked about the layout of the hotel is that generally you pass through the pool area and that was where we would all bump into each other during the day and make our plans for the afternoon or evening. It felt very communal. Every time you stay somewhere your feelings will always be dictated by a number of things but I do think the PK is good for what it is. Regarding costs I think it's probably a fair price. One of our friends got a really good deal on flights and the hotel and stayed for a tad longer.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank louisetasker
sheratonpk, Online Marketing & PR Coordinator at Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Aloha louisetasker and thank you for taking the time to share your review of our hotel. We're quite happy to see that you loved your time here at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani Hotel. Thank you for your understanding and patience as we complete our exciting lobby refresh project. We appreciate your many kind remarks regarding your experience and we hope to welcome you back again. Mahalo!
Glasgow UK
Reviewed 14 May 2014

This hotel is very nicely located, very close to the beach and the main 'strip'.
When we arrived from the U.K. after being on the go for 30+ hrs travelling we just wanted to get to bed. Unfortunately the air-con was on the blink and as making a banging noise. We tried to change rooms but they didn't have another of the same standard etc. The reception staff kept us updated of their efforts to find another room or get it fixed.
To no avail and we just turned it off - being dog tired, we fell asleep anyway. By 10am next day there was an engineer working on the repairs. Great. plus we were offered free breakfast as well.
It's a 2 minute walk to Waikiki beach. Even less to the main 'strip'.
Rooms and hotel is getting a bit tired but were clean and comfortable. Staff were at all times helpful and polite. The birds during meals are a pain as it's open plan to the outdoors next to the pool.
A nice touch is the free chairs to go with the beach towels for use at the beach.
Would we stay there again - for the value and location - Yes !!

Room Tip: High room with a sea view is best.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank as260478
sheratonpk, Online Marketing & PR Coordinator at Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Aloha as260478 and thank you for taking the time to share your review of our hotel. We apologize for the inconvenience caused by the AC unit in your room and we thank you for your patience and understanding while our team worked to resolve the issue. We appreciate your honest feedback regarding your experience and we hope to welcome you back again soon. Mahalo.
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Quite disappointing for a Sheraton hotel. Service was very average and room which was on street side was tired and noisy early in morning . Location was great. Tommy the trip adviser was the exception to the perfunctionary service - he was helpful and pleasant - a credit to the hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the sea / over the pool
Green Features: Environmentally friendly practices were not noticeable
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Aloha RonandLana and thank you for taking a moment to review your recent stay with us at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani Hotel. We regret to learn that aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations and we apologize for our shortcomings in delivering the excellent vacation that you expect and deserve. We appreciate your honest comments as well as your kind remarks about Tommy. Mahalo again for your time.
Chilliwack, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2014

In March I returned for my fourth visit to the Princess Kaiulani. I was very disappointed. I have always enjoyed my visits there, but this last visit was very diappointing. Our room was so so, but as rates had gone up, we could only afford a partial ocean view, which is very, very partial and more wall view. You would think because we have returned for a fourth year in a row, they would have tried to keep us happy. Also..bar service around the pool was non existant. If you wanted service, you had to jump up and down to get their attention, then do the same for another drink. There were many staff that we remember from years gone by, that were awesome. Debbie at the buffet and the pool staff (Lauren I think) were still great, but as a whole, I was very disappointed. Needless to say..this will be my fourth and last visit to PK.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cathy N
Aloha Cathy N, we truly regret to learn that your most recent stay with us did not meet your expectations. We are disappointed in our shortcomings in service and overall experience, especially with a return guest such as yourself. Thank you for sharing your kind comments for Debbie and Lauren - we do truly apologize that our team did not deliver the excellent experience you expect and deserve. Mahalo for your time and feedback.