“Close to International Market”

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani
Ranked #50 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Tillamook, Oregon
“Close to International Market”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

This hotel was affordable and was in terrific proximity to the International Market, is across the street from Cheesecake Factory, and easy access to freeway back to HNL, about a half hour or 45 minute drive. A van to the airport will pick you up at this hotel for a reasonable paid fare. The staff was marvelous and I learned the day I was checking out that they teach you how to make leis in the hotel lobby. I missed this but would have loved to have experienced this. They have a very nice and clean swimming pool. Overall, was only 2 blocks from the beach (an easy walk)and a perfect location!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kim A
sheratonpk, Online Marketing & PR Coordinator at Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Aloha Kim146 and thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We're happy to learn that you enjoyed your time here at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani. We apologize that you did not have the opportunity to participate in our many cultural lobby activities; you must return so that you can learn hula and how to make a lei with our wonderful cultural activity specialists. Thank you again for your time. Aloha.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (723)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

I would like to thank you for the comfortable stay with you during our honeymoon for 2 weeks and the lovely touch sending champagne bottle for us.

The hotel is in great location but a bit old and needs a lot of improvements specially the room doors. The rooms are in small size and had a tiny view of the ocean. Also there is additional daily charge for water, internet and towels in the room as for a resort it should be included with the rate but that's extra $24 a day, it's not a pleasant way to overcharge. What hotel doesn't provide towels for free!

The food and beverages are overpriced specially the open buffet dinner.
However; we really enjoyed the breakfast & nice touch when you check in they give voucher for continental breakfast, but we anyway decided to pay for the hot breakfast as well. The staff are very nice at the breakfast and very helpful.

Tourist information desk is excellent, specially Tommy many thanks for helping us plan the activities.

We only been on the pool area once, the pool is in average size, it could be improved, isn't very inviting. The bar is overpriced and they have the ads around the hotel about happy hours that includes some cocktails but on the bar they only offer beer and wine, 2 cocktails would cost at least $20 elsewhere there is always cocktails offered in happy hour period.

Good luck and hope to visit you again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
sheratonpk, ONline Marketing & PR Coordinator at Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Aloha NoraYacoub, thank you for taking a moment to share your review of our hotel. It's always a great pleasure to welcome honeymooners to Hawaii and we are honored to have played a small roll in such an important and exciting time in your life. Thank you for your honest comments regarding our dining and cocktail options. We apologize that our offerings did not meet your expectations and we will certainly take yours and other reviews into consideration as we continuously strive to elevate our guest experiences and exceed expectations. Thank you and we hope to welcome you back again! Mahalo.
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 21 August 2014

This hotel is nice. Has a nice lobby, a nice bar, nice pool, nice employees - but it is dated. It hasn't had a room renovation. Ever. the furnishings, wallpaper etc are from the 70's and it just feels old. My A/C in the room would NOT get cold. it lets you set it to 65, however it NEVER gets colder than 71. It would cut off during the night and we would wake up sweating. Also the internet is hit and miss. sometimes it wouldn't work for hours. Other than than that it was clean and pleasant and the employees are excellent.

Room Tip: choose a room on a high floor due to construction noise next door
1 Thank foxypocahontas1
sheratonpk, Online Marketing & PR Coordinator at Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, responded to this review, 5 October 2014
Aloha foxypocahontas1 and thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your honest feedback and we apologize that our room accommodations did not completely meet your expectations. We also apologize for the inconvenience experienced due to the AC unit.Thank you for your kind remarks regarding our kind employees; we really appreciate this. Mahalo!
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Being brand loyal travellers, my husband and I had no hesitation in booking into this hotel online. We have previously stayed in 3 other Sheraton properties in Honolulu, and wanted to try this one. Having done so, it would be our last choice of Sheraton properties in Waikiki, not so much because it was "bad", but because it was just old, basic and bland. It mystified us why Sheraton keeps this particular hotel in its portfolio here.

It is absolutely true however to remember that while this hotel lacks the spark and Aloha spirit of its sisters the Moana Surfrider and the Royal Hawaiian, it is much less expensive, and it is still centrally and ideally located. While staying here you are easily able to access some fabulous dining and shopping options just outside the front door, so if you are wanting an affordable and convenient place to sleep this may suit you very well.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Scorpioprincess
Westlake Village, California
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

How is that possible you say? Well, after walking into room 579, how can you be anything but? View of the parking lot and trash bins; old, worn, dirty grout in the bathroom, small room, door locks not working (not good for a woman here alone). I tried to book a better room but it wasn't available. However from the reviews, I'm probably better off not paying the extra money anyway. Upon check in the young man at the desk wasn't very helpful, even when I told him it's my birthday and I'm here alone because I have to attend some business meetings. I requested a room on a higher floor away from the elevator so I could rest when I got done with my day-long meetings. He could care less. My room wasn't ready at 2pm, all he kept repeating is "check in is at 3pm"! This is the first time I've ever come to Waikiki one hour before check in time and I was told the room wasn't ready(and I've been here 3 times in the last 6 weeks, but at a different hotel), but maybe they are that busy! I have to say that the young lady who gave me the keys at 2:50 (I decided to ask if the room was ready a little earlier once I saw another desk agent was available) was extremely nice and tried to upgrade me but said the rooms were all booked. She also offered to send a complimentary bottle of wine to my room for my birthday! Now that's Aloha service! Someone train the other kid quick or let him go. Anyway, I digress! Today is my first day here and I avoided coming back to the room for as long as possible so I don't have to sit in this dreary room for too long!
Lesson learned- next time I'm going back to my usual hotel! I thought I'd give is a try because someone in my company had said they stayed here before! Maybe they got a better room? Either way, I don't recommend this to anyone unless you really have no place to stay. Really disappointing experience from a Sheraton and a Starwood resort!
Oh yeah, the two stars are for the location!

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank docdani
Aloha docdani and thank you for taking the time to share your review of our hotel. We regret to learn that your experience with us did not meet your expectations and we apologize for the less than pleasurable check-in encounter. We understand it can be frustrating when the room cannot be made available earlier than the 3pm check-in; our front desk and housekeeping teams do their best to have rooms ready as soon as possible, however our high occupancy can make it challenging to provide rooms earlier than 3pm. We apologize for the agents failure to acknowledge your birthday, and we thank you for noting that the other agent provided the pleasant experience you expected and deserved. Thank you again for your honest feedback. Mahalo.
Clovis, California
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Upon checking in, its clear that the lobby has been upgraded. However, speaking strictly regarding the two rooms we stayed in at the old section (not the tower rooms) I was surpized at the level the room was kept. The walls were bare except for a picture on one and a bath robe hook (?) in the middle of another one. The furniture had to be from the late 1970/s and was beat enough to show every year of use. The bed was comfortable and standard for Sheratons, but even the bathroom was of a caliber more associated with a Super 8 than a Sheraton. Again, the tower may have been renovated, but the main hotel rooms were obviously never touched. Keep this in mind if you stay here. Many people say when they visit Hawaii, its not about the rooms but the closeness to the beach. If thats the case, then this might fit your needs. However, usually one stays at a Starwood for the room as well as the location. Not strictly the location. On that note, it is across the street from the Moana Surfrider and in a good location for a quick walk to both the beach and for shopping. Its just that when I stay at a Sheraton, I expect more than what these rooms had to offer....wow...

1 Thank islandbreezliving
San Jose, California
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I stayed here from Aug 8 to 14, 2014. The rooms are old and in need of much renovation. The grout in the bathroom tile needs to be cleaned. Overall the service and the people at this hotel were very nice. However, the rooms are just really small and old but serviceable. I would compare the quality of the rooms to probably a La Quinta Inn room or worse. This hotel is in an excellent location as it is right on the Kalakaua strip and right in the middle of that strip. From the hotel, you can walk pretty much anywhere.

Overall, this hotel is average and decent but not worthy of the Sheraton name brand.

2 Thank Sean P