“Biggest Hotel Disappointment ever got 1 star service for 4 star price”

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani
Ranked #50 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Diego
“Biggest Hotel Disappointment ever got 1 star service for 4 star price”
Reviewed 7 September 2009

Wallpaper peeling from the wall, dirty clothing and shoes left by the previous guests, bathroom was rarely cleaned ( including hair sticking to the shower walls and toothpaste stains that remained for days.) Complaints worked for a day or two but then the cleaning became non-existent again. The bathroom faucets were rusting through the paint that had been applied over the fixtures.

The room was supposed to be ADA compliant but the shower head (hand unit) was placed at atleast 5 feet high and the controls were placed on the other side of the shower from the bench at least 5 feet away. How is a person in a wheelchair or unable to stand in the shower supposed to reach these?

The internet service in the rooms was prone to not working. There were long lines for the 4 computers in the business center. They also didn't work well and would often not connect to many websites such as yahoo and facebook.

The bathrooms off the pool also had not seen proper cleaning. The chairs and chaise loungers had not been scrubbed down in quite some time. You could see the dirt build-up on them. It looked as if the entire hotel had been neglected of basic care for years.

I took pictures of all of this. I also brought it to the attention of Sheraton (local management and coporate offices) and was blown off.

I was a loyal customer of Sheraton but now longer. Worst service I have ever received. I'll take Motel 6 over them anyday. At least I would get a clean room and better amenities in this case at a third of the price.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (722)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York
Reviewed 30 August 2009

Let me start with all the good things. I arrive at around 10am from Japan so we were really tired. The front desk agent gave us an early check in and we paid for an upgrade with Breakfast and internet which was very reasonable $45.00 per night.

The breakfast was very good. Omelets, fruits, breads, pancakes, french toast, juices. It was enough to keep you up until late afternoon. Plus it was served until 11am so you can sleep all morning. The beach was 5 minutes away. You could walk basically everywhere in the Waikiki Area, however, we rented a car to go to Pearl Harbor.

There was a happy hour and music everyday in the pool area which was really nice. And there is a show "A polinesyan journey" right in the hotel. The show was O K.

Overall I would comeback. My only complaint is that I called room service to bring me 2 empty glasses of champagne for a bottle I bought and they were not able to bring them to the room because that "was not their job" and housekeeping couldnt do it either. A second complaint is all the birds walking on the tables during breakfast and eating from plates while people were in the buffet. Management should find a solution to keep the birds away from the dining area.

The room was clean, towels were in good conditions and the internet service was pretty fast and good but you have to pay for it.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
WI
Reviewed 21 August 2009

At hotel 4 nights- traveled with pre teen,spouse,senior citizen

Pros-
Nice hotel,clean,fairly up to date. Great free coffee service in a.m. Nice evening turndown service. Most staff were polite and helpful. Really cool arts/crafts vendors in a.m. Valet and concierge staff nice. Front desk mostly polite.

Cons- # 1- ASK to be in a QUIET room if music bothers you! We asked to be moved because of loud music from the Internatl Marketplace. I understand there is a lot going on,but it was hard to sleep with music blaring until 1 a.m.,then wake up at 5 for a 6 :00 shuttle/tour pick up. The music problem was NOT the hotel music- that was nice and done by 9:30. We were irritated when informed that a quieter room was considered an upgrade. So.... in order to have a quiet night of slumber I have to pay more??? I can tolerate a lot,but that was out of line in my opinion. We were moved to the 6th floor. MUCH BETTER!!!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank mommabear1999
Seattle
Reviewed 16 August 2009

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights after visiting the Big Island. We were both a little worried after reading other reviews, but upon arriving we were SOOOO surprised. You have to remember that this is not a "5 star" hotel......if you want that then you should stay at a "5 star" like the Royal Hawaiian or a Ritz type property.
I will start with the positives........
We stayed in room #1256 in the newer tower......try to avoid rooms in the Princess tower as it is very old and MUCH smaller balconys.
*Front desk staff was great. We are Starwood Preferred Guests (gold) so we got to go to the Preferred Guest line. We were originally assigned a corner king room but it was a smoking room so we were then given the option for a partial ocean view but it was 2 double beds. We took that and we were very pleased. WHAT A VIEW!!!!
*Great location, right next to the Internation Market Place. The Westin Moana Surfrider and the Outrigger Waikiki are directly across the street. If you have already done the island before and you just want to hang out in the Waikiki area the is no need for a car. *Plenty of restaurants around ie. Cheesecake Factory, Duke's, Cheeseburger in Paradise, Subway, Roundtable Pizza (be careful of the bartender named Robert.....), KFC, Burger King, Senor Frogs, Hawaiian Cookie Co. (you gota check this place out), P.F. Changs.
*Very clean room, you just need to remember that the turnover at resort/vacation destination hotels is very high. Maid service was wonderful (eventhough we didn't use it). The maid staff was very friendly also.
*Awesome balcony.......a table and 2 chairs and there is plenty of room.
*Wonderfully comfy bed. Down comforter.
*Fridge and safe in room.

Now the negatives............none of them were really a big deal and they would not stop us from staying here again. Really it just prevented me from giving this property 5 stars.
*The room is not spacious. A little cramped, but you are in Hawaii, how long are you really in your room?
*Very crowded pool, should be bigger for the size of the hotel.
*Although we only had 1 drink during happy hour (I believe it was 3pm-5pm) we did walk through both the breakfast ($19.95) and dinner ($29.95) buffets and for the selection of food didn't seem worth the $.
*You can not charge the coffee to your room at the coffee bar at the pool.
*Terrible shower head....especially if you are over 5 ft. 5 inches and the shower wouldn't drain.
*If you have a car (we didn't) they charge $20 a day to park.

O.K. here is some additional "general" information........
Happy Hours and area restaurants, bare with me, this info is what I remember but may not be %100 accurate. You will at least have a general idea.
*P.F. Changs- 3pm-6pm 1/2 priced select appetizers and some drinks are discounted, just check.
*Top of Waikiki- 4 or 5pm-7pm $4 martinis.....try the 1st one on the menu, it's ginger and awesome. Select appetizers, sweet potato chips, some sort of chicken and a few others.
*Senor Frogs pours a mean drink.....just remember that it's a tourist trap but worth checking out.
Duke's-$14.95 breakfast buffet......AWESOME 7:30am-10:30am Made to order omeletes, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, eggs benedict, biscuts and gravy, rice, toast and bagles, pancakes or waffles, french toast and fresh fruit.
Duke's bar-wings, waffle fries, quesadillas, burgers, pizza and great calamari......you gota check it out!! The bar staff is awesome too!
*Big Kahuna-3pm-6pm 1/2 price appetizers and drink specials. We also ate breakfast there. Great!! $8.95 for 2 eggs, ham, bacon, sausage and either rice of hashbrowns.
The Shack-don't bother unless the 20's scene is your thing. Drinks are weak and the zuchinni we had was way greasy.
*Don't bother to go to Moose Magilacuties(sp?).....BAD drinks and service.

All in all our visit was great!!! We would definately stay here again!! One last tip, we went and checked out a room and the Westin across the street to see if it was worth 16,000 Starwood pts. ( when we booked at the Sheraton PK it was 7000 pts. and was raised to 10,000) We asked to see a standard room. It was nice but VERY small and dark with no ocean view. Not worth it to us. We tried to also check out the Sheraton Waikiki but it was super busy and just way too big. Just try the Sheraton PK.....you won't be sorry!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank rvivian
Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 14 August 2009

Great location, our room had partial ocean view overlooking the swimming pool. I would rate rooms 2-3 stars, small but clean and for the price we were very happy. Very busy hotel with thin walls so that we could clearly hear our daughters in the next room. Staff helpful

california
Reviewed 13 August 2009

We stayed here for 7 nights with our young daughter 8 mos. The hotel is in a great location, across from the beach & in the middle of lots of shops in Waikiki. They have great Hawaiian entertainment nightly. Down side is that the rooms are very old and outdated and rather small. No valet parking, parking is self park and is $20.00 a day which is the standard rate in Waikiki. Another negative is that it was very noisy at night in our room with the street noise/music even though we were on the 24th floor.

Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed 5 August 2009

I read the most recent reviews for the Sheraton Kaiulani and I have the say that they were about right. To love or hate the hotel will depend a lot of what do you expect your vacation to be. Let me start by saying that we got a terrific rate of $98 booked directly from the hotel site, with AAA discount (they did ask for my AAA card at check in). No resort fees but you pay $20 for self parking. It is a pretty good deal for Waikiki, especially for the location so close to the beach and to the "action."

Check in was very easy, everybody was very friendly and polite. I was upgraded to a room with a view of the swimming pool. The room was not as small as I thought, but it was sure in dire need for a renovation (the door seemed to have been forced). The room was a prime seat for the performance they have at the pool (singers, hula demos etc.). The problem is that we had two kids exhausted from the flight that needed to sleep early, impossible with show. So I asked the receptionist to change rooms. She was very helpful, but she mentioned that rooms facing other sides could be worse in terms of noise because of the particular location (in particular, rooms facing the international market tend to suffer most from noise, as they always have something going on there). She said that rooms facing the pool would be the quietest after the end of the show (by 9pm, which was true). However, she offered to move us to another room that was available at the same building, also facing the pool, and left me a key so both my wife and I could see it before we decide to move. The other room was actually better, the music from the pool was still loud, but it was quiet right after 9pm, as promised. Plus, the new room was in a little better condition and we actually had a bit of an ocean view (actually the view is obstructed by the Moana Surfrider right in front of the Sheraton PK, but you are able to see a little bit of the ocean at the left side of the Moana. It was actually quite nice.

We had a car rental, so we paid $20 for parking. The parking is a 5 store structure without elevator adjacent to the hotel. Some reviewers mentioned that the layout of the staircase is kind of weird. Make sure you learn which stairway will lead you the closest to the hotel - if you find it, you won't have any problem.

They have coin-operated laundry at the basement - very convenient, we used it twice. Free computers on the lobby was also very useful (limited to 15 minutes of use). They also have stands selling souvenirs, and tons of (free) activity during the day.

Location is great, just steps from the beach park - the Moana Surfrider is just across the street on Kalakaua - the beach is to the left of the Moana. There plenty of shops and ABC stores surrounding the hotel. The International Market is on the same block, just a couple of steps from the hotel. The place is very lively, and where a lot of "action" is located. Lots of interesting street performers (like those you see in Santa Monica's promenade). On the minus side, there are plenty of "professional ladies" walking through the area around 9pm, so if that bothers you, you may want to reconsider the location.

I thought that, all things considered, the hotel was a tremendous value, although I am not sure if I would stay there again, especially considering that we did most of our sightseeing and beachcombing outside the Waikiki area.

1 Thank wdl