“I stayed for free, and I overpaid.”

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani
Ranked #54 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 25 December 2009

This hotel is old. It was built in the 60's and they haven't updated it. The maids seem to try and clean it...but 50 year old bathrooms have 50 years of gunk in the tile and crevices between the walls and the tubs and sinks.

The AC is from the 60's also and barely works. You wake up in a cold-clammy sweat as it is a chilled water system that isn't quite chilled, and the fans are anemic and clogged.

The bathrooms have no exhaust fans. There is a vent, but it has no draw, so humidity from a shower sets back your room to tropical conditions.

Staff- Everyone I ran into was nice. The maids tried, but again 50 year old rooms are tough to keep up. Front desk staff was nice and quick.

Pool- A 50 year old pool, no hot tub, and anti-kid rules at the pool. I get that sometimes adults don't want to hear kids playing....but there is no 2nd pool for the kids. The pool attendant was a complete dick and constantly hounded the kids. There is nothing for kids to do.

The reason my rooms were free was because I used a bunch of hard-earned Starwood Points from my other stays throughout the year. Where they screw you is on the "fees." Parking is $40 a nite ($25 for hotel guests) and Internet is $25 a nite. So, unless you work the system, you are paying $75 a day for parking and internet for a mouldy room, internet and parking, and wasting a bunch of your starpoints.

I heard from hotel staff that Starwood knows that this hotel is crap, and they plan to tear it down in a year or so. I think it is apalling that they will still milk guests by making us stay in crappy-smelly rooms to leach a few more dollars out of a worn out building.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank lonnyzone
Write a ReviewReviews (3,617)

Reviewed 23 December 2009

Got a room at this hotel, by bidding for it on Priceline, for $55.-!!! But when I parked my car there, it was a whopping $25.- for overnight. (This is the discounted hotel guest rate, regular rate is $40.-). Paying almost more for the 'lodging' of my car than for myself, my expectations of the room were a little lowered. (Did I have so sleep in the Garage myself?) But at check-in, I was offered a late check-out (as a SPG Gold Member, even though I did not book through the SPG website.) and got a room with a view. (upgrade!). Thank You!
Although the room is a little outdated, it was clean and comfortable. The same goes for the bathroom. But then again, you're in Hawaii and don't spend much time in your room anyway. The hotel offers free Internet access in the lobby (Link@Sheraton). Furthermore, there are several food outlets on property and there is a small pool.
The Location of the hotel is the best, right in the middle of Waikiki, with the beach across the street. Food, shopping and nightlife are all next door.
All in all, if you can get a good deal at this hotel, take it. And if you don't plan to drive around the island, don't bring a car.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 December 2009

just got back from a 3 day stay at this hotel and loved pretty much everything about it. was clean and fantastically located. we had front facing view of ocean and the pool area. the room was clean and relaxing. the food prices seemed high, but there are many many other places to eat just outside the hotel. my only real complaints are the price of parking 25 dollars per day, which seems to be standard in the area. it really is possible to get by without renting a car at all I think. we saw the wiki wiki buses running all over the place. and why have that lovely beautiful pool all lit up and the perfect weather and then close it at 6 pm every night?

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank ndepndant
Reviewed 19 December 2009

While on the Big Island, my husband and I began to second guess our hotel reservation in Waikiki. Therefore, I changed our reservation to the Sheraton Princess, thinking that since it's a brand name hotel, it has to be a good one. WRONG!
The lobby is absolutely beautiful. Now if only they would have used some of that money to modernize the rooms a little, it would be a great hotel.
Upon check in, we were given a City View room. When we went up to our room, I immediately turned around and went back down to the lobby and asked to be moved. The room was horrible. It looked like something out of a bad 70's movie. Dirt and grime.
We were moved to the Waikiki City View in the Tower and same thing. I called down to the desk and told them we were checking out. They didn't seem to have a problem with that, and even gave us back our deposit. I guess this happens a lot!
I would not recommend staying here. If you want a hotel that in right in the middle of the hustle and bustle, I would pay more. There are a lot of great hotels a little farther away from everything.
P.S. We went directly to Hotel Renew and stayed there for the last 3 days of our honeymoon.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JannyLyn
Reviewed 15 December 2009

Me and my wife had recently been to honolulu. We stayed there 2 days before the cruise and 3 days after the cruise. I am a hotel person and my wife is an outdoor person so for her hotel is a place to come back to shower and sleep. Specially in Hawaii when there are so many things to do outside you go to agree to that.
We were once on the 8th floor and the second time on the 5th floor with partial ocean and city view.
Clean room flat Screen TV and decent shower. No doubt the hotel needs rennovation from its old decotr its still clean and neat all the way.
We bid the price throught priceline and we got a great dealand the hotel is just 3 mins or say 2 mins walk to waikki beach and food is available right outside the hotel almost 24 hours burger king subway and right behind the international market place a fun place to shop.
The only thing expensive is the parking $ 25 for 24 hours. So make sure you get the best deal on the hotel as you will end up paying 25 on any hotel in waikkiki. THERE IS NO FREE OR CHEAP PARKING IN WAIKIKKI.
have fune there are loads of things to do in Honolulu so I had to go with my wifes thinking this time.

Cheers
ALOHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank hitvyas
Reviewed 30 November 2009

First time travelling with my 9mth old and wife so this experience was a bit different, but second time to Honolulu.
Stayed in the tall tower on 16th floor with ocean view and i must say it was a great view with sun on the deck from 9am to 2-3pm. One king sized bed and a crib leaves little room left in the room but was manageable. Overall the room was clean but a bit dated. dripping faucets in the the bathroom and a motion sensor activated AC so when sleeping it can get rather hot in the room.
Live entertainment everynight betweeen 6-9 approx. could cleary hear from room was loud at times when trying to put the liitle one down.
There is a buffet style restaurant and a bar style food menu. Never ate at the buffet was 30$ per person but had the food at the bar and was approx 14$ per plate. Both are open concept with seating outdoors. The buffet breakfast is also expensive but you can opt for the take out breakfast for 10$ and they give you a container to load up what you want easily feeds 2 people.
Pool was a little on the small side but with the beach is only a short walk away so didnt bother with it.
All shopping and restaurants are easily within walking distance.
Overall i would rate this a 7.5 out of 10. Reason being that if it wasnt for the employee rate that we had we would not of stayed there.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Giddy-up
Reviewed 18 November 2009

staff are friendly and accomodating... the hotel is just walking distance to the beach, downtown outlets, souvenir stores, fine restaurants, and convenience store...

Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family