“Great location on the beach, really nice room”
Review of Sheraton Waikiki

Sheraton Waikiki
Ranked #37 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 20 December 2012

We were upgraded to a suite, so take this review with a grain of salt, but our experience here was amazing. The balcony views of the ocean and Waikiki were gorgeous, and the lounge was one of the better ones in my experience.

This hotel is on the beach, though the actual sand area is rather small and most of the water has sharp rocks (there is a sand bank to the right). The pool was a bit crowded, but this was the day after the honolulu marathon on the weekend of the pearl harbor memorial day, so that was to be expected.

The location was excellent. The hotel is right next to a shopping center with a food court, and withint walking distance to many of waikiki's better restaurants (even with our really sore post marathon legs).

Only downfall was the layout of the hotel- it seems the rooms spiral out from the elevators, so you have a long walk past the many stores to get to elevators, and then you may end up with a long walk to your room. It was worth it though.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank linteater

Reviewed 19 December 2012

This hotel has everything, and the ideal location. We loved the kids pool and slides and also having the opportunity for us to have quiet time in the Adults only pool whilst sipping on a cocktail :)
Walking distance to everything. Views are phenomenal.
The staff in the restaurant were the most friendliest we have ever come across, Aloha

Room Tip: Ask for Diamond Head views
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Pam H
Reviewed 16 December 2012

Great location! Check-in very personable. Ocean front room--excellent. . .balcony conducive to relaxing and taking in the panoramic view of Diamond Head and the ocean with all the activities going on. Very short elevator wait if any at all (lots of elevators). Staff is friendly throughout hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 December 2012

This is a big hotel with like a dozen elevators (wait time is very short), right on Waikiki beach. Location is great and Sheraton beds are always comfortable. I don't know if they gave me an upgraded room or if all rooms are so large, but it was like a suite with a spacious living room, large bathroom, and bedroom. Everything was clean and good quality. After you check out, if you have a late flight you can book a "hospitality room" for 30 minutes to clean up before going to the airport. However, I must agree that the front desk service needs improvement. Every time I walked by the reception there was a long line of people waiting to check in. They have a separate line for SPG Gold members which was much faster, but when I was checking out from that line one of the two available receptionists spent 10 minutes processing something on the computer screen, then she apparently felt it had to be explained immediately to the other receptionist so she talked with her for another 10 minutes. Never once did she look up and acknowledge all the people waiting for service. Finally a receptionist who should have been helping the long non-SPG gold line called me over to check out.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Kent W
Reviewed 15 December 2012

Been here twice and really no problems its central to everything rooms are great staff fantastic the pool is the best in Waikiki for a chill out with a view , it's a bit over chlorinated , the best coffee in Honolulu is downstairs at Peats coffee and the best tapas bar is Rumfire which is on the beachfront near the pool, and for those who surf well ,the break out the front is one of my all time favourite reef breaks when it is up well worth the paddle out ,it is not a learners spot as you could find yourself in trouble in a big swell , if not experienced .
Hawaii is my number one destination it has something for young and old it is chilled out mixed with old and new ,shopping
Sightseeing , warm climate , warm water , and a great vibe , and if you surf what a bonus, if you want to learn to surf the best place to learn in the world is Waikiki the break is easy and safe you should be standing first go. Aloha

Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank oskardog
Reviewed 13 December 2012

I liked the Sheraton and the infinity pool is AWESOME. My only real complaint is the service was slow throughout the hotel and the cleaning service was horrible (we could not get them to show up when we were gone).

Overall, I would stay there again if we had a good rate.

Room Tip: Try to get ocean view. The Partial views are okay, and the "city view" is pretty terrible...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank torrin66
Reviewed 11 December 2012

I am currently staying at the Sheraton Waikiki. I have been here for over a week and checking out tomorrow. All in all, disappointing hotel room, poor service and ridiculously overpriced.

First of all, we travelled for 19 hours with a toddler and arrived to a half hour wait time in line to check in.. 7pm, Hawaii time, you would think they would hire more staff if it is that busy. Then, our receptionist was rude and cold, all about the money, not asking us how we were doing, where we were coming from, no hospitality whatsoever;( she also told us that nothing gets charged until checkout and two days later a significant charge went through on our visa, no warning!

Our room, costing us 400$/night is very simple with the most basic hotel amenities. I have stayed in Holiday inns that were fancier.. The bathrooms are tiny and the bedroom simple, there are no bathrobes, no lounge chairs on the patio.also, the balconies are very low so if you have toddlers as we do, be very careful on the lanai. Do not leave them out there with any patio furniture that they can climb..

The housekeepers will give you new towels and change the sheets but any other garbage in your room will just sit there, I am constantly running things down to the garbage myself and wiping down counters. Also, you have a coffee machine in the room but they never remember to restock the cups so we have to go hunting for the housekeepers so we can have coffee in the morning.

The restaurants are really overpriced but what really bothers me is that you pay a resort fee everyday and still nothing is included and I mean nothing. If you want to sit on the beach under an umbrella, it's 50 dollars a day. Half the chairs around the pool area are up for grabs (free of charge) but all the nice chairs have an additional fee! They have no toys for kids to play with, no child programs. My son keeps finding these little ducky things at the pool counter and they say they rent them out... Again more money for something they should be offering to their guests. If you have young children, find another hotel. I just spent 60$ for 2 hours of daycare and that's the minimum you can pay. If you want child care around dinner time, it's even more expensive..also, rooms are not baby friendly ... Wires and plugs everywhere, not tucked behind furniture as one would expect.

The staff at the Kai market are very friendly but we had two really bad experiences at rumfire. Rude waitresses and really annoying about carding. My husband and I sat there for lunch with our baby sleeping in the stroller. He ordered a Mai tai and they carded him. We had just been swimming so wallet was in the room. They insisted so he went up and brought down ID. They said it wasn't good enough and he needed his passport. They made him run back up to get his passport.. No apologies.. Ridiculous!! He is 34, we had our child with us and I had my iD!

I have to say, I have never payed more for a hotel and been so underwhelmed. Very disappointing experience. Can't wait to get out of here!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family