“We're coming back next year!”
Review of Sheraton Waikiki

Sheraton Waikiki
Ranked #35 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 18 January 2010

My husband, son & I booked New Years Eve week at the Waikiki Sheraton. Everything about it is wonderful. I love the location 2 buildings down from Duke's. Imagine 80 degree weather, warm surf, sunshine, floating on a raft at 4 pm, listing to the music of the combo wafting on the air down from Duke's! Sheer Heaven! The only problems there were the usual priggish people who put a towel on a chair at 8 am and only use the chair for an hour or two all day, or not at all. The pool staff doesn't seem to be very proactive in monitoring this because they don't want to make the people angry who left their towel. Compliments & thanks to Mark, who checked me in. What a pleasant guy he was! The concierge desk was so helpful with our reservations. Maid service was good, but not great. The bathroom smelled moldy, but I couldn't locate the source of it & the shower curtain was new. Other than that, the room was clean & well decorated. I complained about someone smoking on the balcony next door & security was up there in less than 5 minutes! Our 11 yr old son loved the multi-level pool, which was mainly used by the kids. My husband and I appreciated the adults-only infinity pool.

1  Thank Renery
There are newer reviews for Sheraton Waikiki

Reviewed 18 January 2010

Terrific views and great access to beach and to shopping. I might stay here again - because of this. Also, a great workout room at no charge. But our room had a few problems - little soundproofing from next door, shower head is a sprayer that can't be adjusted and sprays the wrong way, bathroom lacks privacy. Beds are comfortable and elevators are fast. Room was clean. During January 2010 they were remodeling the lobby, so check in was re-routed to the side, and the lines for check-in were much longer than I have seen in hotels of this caliber elsewhere. My pet peeve is the charge for in-room internet - at these room prices do they really need to charge $14 a day? We stayed in two places on the Big Island for $80 a night each and BOTH had free internet. The Sheraton is pretty and well-located - if you don't want to stay connected, I'd recommend it.

Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank SmilingArizonan
Reviewed 17 January 2010

Our short stay at the Sheraton last was as short as it was terrible. We spend about 30-40 days in Hawaii each year on business/fun and typically stay at the Surfrider or the Royal Hawalian. Despite the ongoing construction we decided to give the Sheraton a chance as they have some very attractive rate and what a mistake this was.

Upon arrival we wandered through the maze of construction to finally find the front desk. As we're Starwood Gold we proceeded to the line for members only to get stuck behind a guest who not only wasn't a member but also couldn't seem to get any of her credit or debit cards to work. After 45 minutes on wading through this mess we finally got a room which had a wonderful view. The first thing I did was going onto the balcony to take in the beauty of Waikiki only to be overwhelmed by the whir of multiple tile saws. The room had been remodeled but resembled something out of a Wallmart catalogue. We sat there for about 10 minutes and discussed our options and then called Starwood to see if we could move across the street to another property. Fortunately they had availability and I will never stay here again.

If you're 19 years old and looking for a cheap property that is ocean front then I think this is the place for you. If you're hoping for something with a little more class and elegance, leave this one behind. My heart goes out to anyone booking what they think will be a romantic vacation or honeymoon only to find a second rate property with an amazing location.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank pdxlovetotravel
Reviewed 13 January 2010

The check in took a little while, though that was due to a rather difficult family ahead of us. The one person working the check in counter was so friendly and polite though. He went out of his way to find us a free upgrade to an ocean front room. The view from the lanai was absolutely stunning! We loved the location and how we were within such easy walking distance to great restaurants, shopping and the beach. Without a doubt, the best part of the hotel for our kids was the children's pool area. It was fabulous with waterfalls, slides, multi-level pools and even an interactive squirt area. The infinity pool was very cool. We didn't get to spend much time in it since it was adult only and we had our children with us, but the few times we did go over there, it always seemed very serene. There was some renovation still happening in the foyer, but it really had no impact on us at all. I am so glad we chose this hotel and would definitely stay there again!

Reviewed 3 January 2010

I had previouslt stayed at the Shaeraton Waikiki and was impressed with the overall experience hence my return stay. What I was not expecting on my most recent visit was the amazing renovation of the main pool to what I would now say is the best pool in Waikiki!
The Sheraton Waikiki made a very clever decision in making this amazing pool adults only which only adds to the relaxing vibe that is to be had pool side. The staff are extremely freindly, Gene the Pool Concierge organised car hire for me as I basked in the glorious Hawaiian sun. Lee who I believe has worked there for many years is an absolute joy and full of local information and did a great job politely redirecting any children to the nearby family pool.
Overall the Sheraton Waikiki is a fabulous hotel, excellent location, great rooms and if you are a Starwood Preferred Guest you are really made to feel special. I arrived at 9am and was checked in right away to my room even though standard check in is not until 3pm.
The new fitness centre is state of the art and helped me stay on track and the massage at the newly renovated day spa was fabulous.
I will only stay here when visiting Ohau and have my next trip already booked.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
6  Thank JpoSydney
Reviewed 2 January 2010

We recently stayed at the Sheraton Waikiki. We are members of the Sheraton Preferred Guest Program and frequently stay in one of the Starwood Sheratons's. We have never been disappointed until this trip. Following a remodel, all furniture except beds and night stand have been removed from the hotel rooms to make the rooms appear larger. There are no drawers for personal items -- only shelves in a closet. Our room cost was in excess of $500 nightly, yet the room was furnished with paper cups and plastic glasses. - no real glass or cups for the coffee or drinks. WiFi was available in the lounge with a minimum of an hour wait -- wifi room access was available for $14-24 daily. Newspapers were not delivered to members. When I complained, they told me the new policy required that the guest request a paper. . The outdoor lanai furniture was the worst, most uncomforable furniture I have ever seen. When I complained -- two straight back dining chairs without arms were delivered which were almost as uncomfortable.

I plan to use my "ponts" on my next trip -- but I will never again stay in a Sheraton Hotel. Not only have they become overpriced but the only goal of the hotel chain is profit. Frankly I am tired of this attitude. I do not have to spend my money in such a place and I want you to know what you are facing if you go to the Sheraton Waikiki.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
4  Thank gypsyrosemontana
Reviewed 31 December 2009

We stayed in an oceanfront room, which I think is worth paying for given the beautiful panoramic view you will be awarded to each day you're there. The infinity pool and deck was very much enjoyed everyday, I can't imagine staying anywhere else.

The following was much appreciated during the visit: quick elevators, pool staff, sunsets from the Rumfire bar and comfortable beds.

The only complaint I have regarding the room is that there is space between the mirror in the bathroom and the bedroom area, so the bathroom lacks some privacy.

If you are traveling with someone who is disabled (and can't walk far) and you are on a tight budget for dining, you may wish to consider a different hotel where the restaurant prices are more reasonable.

If you plan to make any long-distance calls while you are there, you are charged for using a toll-free number.

I would consider staying here again if I ever return to Waikiki.

2  Thank happycomforttravels