“Honeymooning in paradise!”
Review of Sheraton Waikiki

Sheraton Waikiki
Ranked #35 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 23 May 2010

From check-in to check-out, our week-long stay exceeded our expectations. Our view was breath-taking and our room was extremely comfortable. I really loved the sound of the waves at night and sipping drinks on our private lanai. Every staff member we met was friendly and helpful. It was nice to be able to log-in a couple of times during our honeymoon with the complimentary internet in the lobby. We truly felt like we had every amenity either at the hotel or within 5 minutes... great location!
Yumi, the amazing masseuse at the spa, had magical hands that set the tone of relaxation. The spa facilities were very clean and the steam room was great!
My husband and I enjoyed floating in the ocean and the infinity pool. One of the managers, Michael, made a great recommendation (and even offered to make the reservation for us) for our catamaran ride on the MaiTai. When speaking with another manager, Kelly, I asked why the pools closed at 6pm. Kelly explained that we should break that rule and got us a couple of beach towels (he said that the pools were always open but it was more so to indicate that the pools were unsupervised in the evenings).
Tommy and Dave at the RumFire were very friendly and the lavender-cucumber mojitos were divine (they gave me the recipe)! We noted that housekeeping were ninja-like and efficient! Massimo, the yogaquatics instructor was warm and encouraging (it was great to be able to enjoy a complimentary fitness class as we found portion sizes in the U.S. to be substantially larger than in Canada). We were on our honeymoon and wanted to share a nice meal so we made a reservation for a sunset dinner at Twist (the restaurant on the 30th floor) and enjoyed a delicious meal with wine parings. They had a very knowledgeable staff and the view of Diamond Head was spectacular! Kai had a splendid breakfast buffet and served a delicious guava-orange-papaya juice! :)
When checking out, we were catching a red-eye flight so we were pleased to know we could store our luggage safely in a room off the lobby. My husband and I did some last-minute exploring of Waikiki shops, grabbed a bite to eat, lounged by the koi pond, strolled along the beach before picking up our bags. We didn't realize we should have made a reservation to use the courtesy room to change before our flight... no problem for their empowered staff, the manager quickly arranged an unused hotel room to be available--our back-up plan was to use the lobby washrooms to change (this room was a much more desirable setting).
As you can see, I could go on and on about our experience at the Sheraton Waikiki :)
Honeymoon heaven!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (6,314)

Reviewed 22 May 2010

My wife and I planned our 10 year anniversary to Oahu and had never been to Hawaii. Needless to say, the resort will dictate how the whole vacation goes so I had to make the right choice. My loving wife is a clean freak to say the least, so the hotel had to be clean, odor free, friendly, over-accomodating, etc. Upon first sight, I knew this place was perfect for both of us. I have traveled a lot and have relied on reviews such as this to make a choice of hotels. Trust me, there are no finer resorts in Honolulu, on the beach front, than the Sheraton Waikiki. Especially when you can get an ocean front king at a real value price by booking early. 5 stars, thumbs up, way to go Sheraton!

Reviewed 19 May 2010

My husband and I stayed here for our Honeymoon. We did 8 nights here then 7 in Maui and back to the Wakiki Sheraton for 5 more nights. We found the hotel pretty fabulous. we stayed in the deluxe ocean front room. the first stay was over looking the kids pool and the second time overlooking the infinity pool. From our window on both sides we could spot turtles!
Now this hotel does smell. The stench in the corridors can quiet frankly be over whelming. Our room never smelt but the getting to the elevator was never fun. Speaking of that waiting for the elevator can become rather frustrating. There are 1700 rooms in this hotel and about 10 elevators so it is rather busy. Saying that we never had a problem with noise other than a few door slams, and once there was a very loud conversation in the room next door, really late at night!
The gym is great.
Twist bar (on the top floor of the hotel), is worth a visit. We just went for a coctail and had brilliant service. You can do wine pairing there, which looked rather interesting.
As it was our honeymoon we were given a bottle of champagne. They give you the bottle to take to your room with plastic cups.
Drink service around the pools can be rather slow as the staff seem fairly under the pump.
Go to Rumfire for happy hour. Be early as it is hard to get a seat!
We did find room service a little stingy with the soaps and shampoo. My huby found the bed to soft and woke with a sore back every day but it suited me fine! The room is not overly flash but is very comfortable
Parking is fairly pricey at $25per day (when our travel agent told us it was free).
Free internet in the lobby is very handy.
With out a doubt this is the best waikiki hotel pool. It is fabulous to relax at the infinity pool whilst watching everyone go past, and spotting tutles from the pool.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2010

We were on the 16th floor with ocean and diamond head crater views - breath taking! we stayed a few nights and felt 100% relaxed when we left. From our balcony we watched sea turtles swimming in the sparkling blue waters below, surfers catchin waves and boats coming in and out. The hotel is very well presented with good size well decorated and clean rooms. The hotel is VERY BUSY so if you are seeking for peace and quiet, maybe this is not the best option, however it brought an up beat vibe with music playing until late around the pool area. The pool di per se' is pretty to watch but we didn't use it as it was taken over the entire time by young and want to be young silly individuals who ate in the pool and left their rubbish around the pool area - not cool people!!! If you are a not so tolerant person or get annoyed by drunken silly behaviour maybe stay somewhere else. However it's nice to watch others having fun, it really depends what you are into. The staff member who checked us in and later provided some advice was very tense and not helpful at all. The lady who checked us out was also not that much better, the concierge was friendly but generally speaking customer service needs a bit of tuning (maybe they are too busy... they really dont stop for 1 second there are that many people). The hotel offers beach towels too which we thought was lovely. Overall double thumbs up to this hotel!

1  Thank asap77
m79kaplan, Manager at Sheraton Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2010

Aloha,

Thank you for the insightful feedback in regards to your most recent stay. We all love to hear about our guests experiences, and it sounds as if the majority of your stay was a positive one. We are one of the largest hotels in Waikiki, so yes, we do tend to be quite busy with high occupancy. Regardless, there is never an excuse for not taking the time to truly share the "aloha spirit" with any of our guests, no matter how busy it may be.

We look forward to your next visit with us at the Sheraton Waikiki

Mahalo

Reviewed 19 May 2010

As an Oahu resident, I frequently have family from the mainland and business associates who come to town that ask for recommendations for a hotel to stay at. Therefore, my wife and I (and sometimes our little ones) will occasionally try out some of the hotels in order to be able to give thumbs up or down to the various hotels. So on May 8th my wife and I decided to give our little ones (4 & 7yrs) a treat and headed to the Sheraton Waikiki to let the kids have fun at the awesome pool at the Sheraton (Helemua Playground). I've been to the Sheraton Waikiki on many different occasions to attend functions in the ballrooms, drinks at RumFire and to eat at the restaurants. I must say the venue at Rum Fire is awesome for both locals and visitors alike. The service does tend to be a little slow at times but for the most part it is awesome.

The last time I stayed at the hotel was before the recent renovations. I must say, the hotel looks great after the renovations. I own a service business so I'm very picky when it comes to an expectation of good service. We arrived at approx. 2pm to check in. The first thing I noticed when I was waiting in line to check in was that the front desk staff got out from behind their check-in counters and walk toward the next person in line and invite them over to the counter with a warm welcome. That may not mean much to a lot of people, but like I said I pick up on these types of things even though something like that doesn't make or break my stay. Long story short, the front desk service was great. Every time I passed a housekeeper or other hotel staff, we were always greeted warmly. We reserved an oceanfront room and the view was, of course, awesome. I would highly, highly recommend that visitors to Waikiki get an oceanfront room. Nothing beats this view. You can thank me later.
Anyway, we checked in and then got the kids ready and headed down to the pool. The pool area really is a playground with slides, waterfalls, and spouting water. We weren't there very long when the staff closed the pool. Apparently, someone had thrown up in one part of the pool and it needed to be disinfected. We were told it would probably be closed for an hour. Then eventually they decided to close it for the rest of the day. Completely understandable but for the kids it was a huge disappointment given this was the biggest reasons we decided to stay at the Sheraton. Unfortunately the next day we had a brunch to attend with family so it ate into a lot of time the kids could use the pool (slides open at 9am).
All in all, I will be recommending both business associates and family from the mainland to stay here. Staff, rooms and facilities are great. Aloha.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank TheRealDream
Reviewed 18 May 2010

Stayed there with my daughter. had a great time. View from our room was great. the room were also quite nice. Enjoyed to be in the middle of town. Beach and shopping paradise!

• Stayed: August 2009

Aloha,

We are glad to hear that you and your daughter had such a fabulous stay with us. We looking forward to sharing your next adventure on Oahu with you.

Mahalo

Reviewed 18 May 2010

We recently spent eight nights at the fantastic hotel. This is our third time here and the best stay by far. We had a fantastic upgrade to a suite and as we were travelling with many friends it was the perfect venue to get together. Nothing was too much trouble nad all staff without fail were extremely helpful and courteous.The new pool areas are just beautiful and have made a big difference, Beach access is easier now as well.
There is free internet acces in the foyer now which was very useful. The Rum Fire bar was a lovely spot to have a drink and the happy hour prices are good. In summary I don't think you could choose a better hotel both for position and service. We will definitely stay here again when next in Hawaii.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends

Aloha,

Its a pleasure to read comments from our guests who have stayed with us multiple times, and they report that it keeps getting better. We are very proud to finally complete our $187 million renovation and by most accounts, the pools are a true highlight to all of our guests.

What was your favorite drink at RumFire?

We look forward to your next visit with us.

Mahalo from the associates and management of the Sheraton Waikiki