“I wavered between a 2 and a 5 rating”

Pacific Beach Hotel
Ranked #47 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Bradenton, Florida
“I wavered between a 2 and a 5 rating”
Reviewed 24 January 2014

After a 10 hour non-stop from Atlanta, and a totally screwed up experience with the hotel's recommended Speedishuttle (separate review), I was not in the best mood. There was a long queue to check in, but in all fairness it moved along pretty well.

Do you know what irks me about hotels in "touristy" locales? The resort fee! If you're gonna charge me an extra $20 a day, put it in the room cost up front! And then, there's the $200 "security deposit" that will be refunded after 4 days. What am I a rock star that's going to trash the room?

But, I digress. The young lady that checked me in was delightful, but I felt like she was waiting for me to start yelling at her when she explained the resort fee and security deposit. Poor girl!

Then, off to the room. Dated, dated dated. 1970's Tommy Bahama overload! Carpet - tired. Elevator - tired. Walked into my king-size "ocean view room" on the 15th floor and had to sigh... It just looked SO old and then..... (wait for it).... I walked out on the balcony. The view, the sound of the waves crashing - worth every damn penny! I'm from Florida so it's not like I'm unused to tropical environs.

I spent 4 nights at the hotel. Granted, it was for business, so during the day I was off and doing. But from about 4 pm on, each day, I sat on the balcony and drank in the sea air. I walked the beach (across the street) each morning instead of going to their gym. Honolulu's version of Rodeo Drive/Miracle Mile is an easy stroll if you're in to shopping.

I'll most likely never have to travel to Hawaii again, but if I knew someone who was going to Waikiki, I'd recommend this hotel. As long as they can get an ocean-view room on at least the 14th floor.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
PacBeach H, Director of Rooms at Pacific Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Aloha alwazegr8,

It sounds like your trip to Hawaii started out a little rocky. I am so happy to hear that everything was turned around and you ended up enjoying an amazing vacation! Thanks for sharing your review on TripAdvisor. We are currently finalizing our renovation plans and I am confident that our new design will exceed your expectations on your next visit. We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Director of Rooms

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (835)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Pahoa, Hawaii
Reviewed 24 January 2014

The BEST thing about Pacific Beach Hotel is its location! A few steps away from the beach & Kalakaua Ave shopping district, popular cafes & restaurants, the famous Waikiki Aquarium, etc. Our room is on 27th floor (in second tower) facing Diamond Head with stunning ocean AND mountain views! Sparsely decorated, with standard hotel furniture and amenity. Can use some improvement to make it more attractive, especially the bathroom! Overall it’s just a basic hotel room, nothing special. We felt like we paid for the views, not the room! It’s one of the older hotels in Waikiki, so obviously it needs some updating. The huge aquarium in the restaurant downstairs is impressive, even though it has Disneyesque mermaids swimming in it - dancing and singing Happy Birthday to dinner guests! The front desk staff are very helpful and full of Aloha, so as the doormen. However, on our second day there, we had to make three requests before our room finally got cleaned and replaced with fresh sheets and towels.
Tips:
-Ask for room on highest floors possible because you will have much better views (i.e. not blocked by surrounding high-rise hotels).
-City Bus 19 (from Honolulu airport) stops half a block away on Kuhio Ave. This same bus will also take you the downtown Honolulu and Chinatown ($2.50 bus fare).
-Best place for healthy quick bites: Tucker & Bevvy Picnic Food around the corner on Kapahulu Ave. Veggie juices, fruit smoothies, sandwiches, wraps, salads, etc. Eat there or take out to the beach across the street.
-A grocery store called Food Pantry is located 3 blocks away on Kuhio Ave in case you need grocery, water bottles, cereals, etc.
-To avoid the crowd, head for the lovely beach on the other side of the pier, behind the beach volleyball area. It’s more relaxing, you can swim or just lay on the sand and watch the hunks and babes hitting the ball!

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors facing Diamond Head have better views
2 Thank punacoast
PacBeach H, Director of Rooms at Pacific Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 26 January 2014
Aloha punacoast,

It sounds like you truly had a wonderful vacation and made the most of everything Waikiki has to offer. Thanks for sharing all of the great tips! Our front desk staff and doormen were especially happy to hear your praise. Thanks for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

alberta
Reviewed 23 January 2014

This was truyly a great place to stay. From check in to check out there was no problems or glitches. Very friendly staff and very helpful. would recommend ocean front room on upper floor (we had 1425) fantastic view of beaches and sunsets and to listen to the surf and still high enough to not hear pedestrian noises.

Room Tip: ocean front was great. the Aloha Cafe has crossadas in the morning you must try one. they sell out...
1 Thank icedog1942
PacBeach H, Director of Rooms at Pacific Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Aloha icedog1942,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to share your comments! We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Pacific Beach Hotel. We look forward to your next visit!

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Don't do it. We were very disappointed with this hotel. Our view was great, and having a balcony was nice, but..... the images don't really show how outdated the place is, it smells of garlic or something putrid all around the ground floor due to the restaurant buffet, the gym pass is $10 every TIME you go, the bathrooms lack privacy and the toilet/shower cubicle is tiny, the pillows are uncomfortable and beds are hard, the cleaners didn't clean our room on 2 of the days we were there so we had to source more towels from them, the cleaners cupboard was right outside our door so we were woken at 6.30am every morning by that racket, the laundry requires 2 rounds of drying so for one load wash and dry costs around $10 with powder so fill it up good, and then we had multiple rogue charges on our bill which we thankfully noticed before we left. We really are not fussy hotel goers, but we were not impressed by this place. Treat yourself and stay closer up towards the main drag where the restaurants and shops are - West along the beach of here.

Room Tip: East side has views of Diamond Head and is the only sunny side
3 Thank S B
Aloha S B,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us - especially on such a special occasion! My apologies that we did not overall meet your expectations. It sounds as though most of your concerns will be eliminated once we complete our renovation. On the other hand, there are some points that you made that we are already in the process of addressing. Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are excited to announce our new cardio-fitness center that is slated to open in February of this year. Access to the cardio-fitness center will be included in our $20 per day amenity fee. For the hardcore gym buffs, we will continue to offer the discounted pass to 24-Hour Fitness downstairs. This is one of the many improvements that we are working on. Stay tuned for more and we can't wait to welcome you back to the Pacific Beach Hotel again on your next Hawaiian vacation.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We spent four nights at this hotel. On arrival, the check in staff were pleasant and friendly. The room we were initially given was a little unclean with hair on the bathroom floor and the airconditioner was leaking water onto the carpet. However, when we reported this to the front desk, we were allocated another room with no problems at all. The staff were helpful and friendly. The restaurant was good and the Oceanarium a novelty. The location of the hotel is great - just opposite the beach. The hotel is good value but could do with an upgrade of its furnishings. Overall, a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank B D
Aloha B D,

Thank you for your feedback. Sorry about the cleanliness of your room. I am happy to hear that our Front Desk team was able to resolve your concern to your satisfaction. We discussed your concern with our housekeeping team and they certainly appreciated your feedback for improvement. Furthermore, our maintenance team is working very hard on a preventative maintenance project that focuses on the air conditioners to ensure everything is always in working order. Lastly, your suggestion to upgrade the furnishings was exactly what we are going to do. We have already began replacing our mattresses and we are finalizing the details of our complete transformation renovation as well. We are definitely excited and we will share more details soon. Come back and visit us again on your next trip to Hawaii!

Melbourne
Reviewed 22 January 2014

There are three things that I assume most people want from a Waikiki hotel: great views of the water, being close to the action and being close to the beach. The Pacific Beach has it all and is probably as good a value as you'll get in Waikiki. It's only a block from the water (less than a minute's walk) and most (maybe all) rooms have views of the ocean. I was staying in the rear tower and still had a lovely view of the water. Public transport is less than 5 minutes walk away and you are right on the main shopping strip. This hotel also has an amazing restaurant with a massive aquarium taking up the entire wall (two storeys high). It's called the Oceanarium so you should probably do a separate search for that). The rooms are clean (a fridge and safe are included) and the service is excellent. I'd definitely return to this hotel, considering the great price I got on expedia. You can walk straight onto the beach and hire a surfboard, paddle board, canoe or catamaran. The hotel also offers a water bottle and you can refill in the lobby with chilled or tap water at any time. Highly recommended for families or singles. The pool is nothing special but that's hardly important. It's just a pool after all and you'll probably prefer to swim in the protected lagoon at the beach opposite or at the gentle surf beach alongside.

Room Tip: There are two towers. I had a room in the rear tower but still had views of the beach.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MelbourneMacca
Aloha MelbourneMacca,

Thank you so much for the fantastic 5-star review! Nothing makes us happier than hearing such wonderful feedback. We all did a little happy dance when we read your comments. Consider yourself part of our Hawaiian Ohana (family) and come back for another visit anytime!

Wailuku, Hawaii
Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

Many issues with stay, TV didn't work and cable box had to be replaced, then remote not working. Safe worked for first day then also would not open and had to wait to have opened and couldn't use it rest of week. I was charged twice and they held over $700 pending when I had prepaid for entire trip through travelocity. Agent failed to look at my paperwork upon arrival and check in. My room was 1970's furnishings with old stained carpeting, hair in tub upon arrival and no bedspreads, simply sheets with blanket between. DO NOT pay more then $130 for this place. Its all about the location. Across from Waikiki beach with lots of shopping and eating in area. Even the big fish tank looks dirty and old in dining area. The buffet dinner was pretty good for price. Also had very good waiter and Mai Tai decent for tourist location. Stayed in room 765 with partial ocean view. This is like a Holiday Inn that needs a face lift. Aloha

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank jrctodd
PacBeach H, Director of Rooms at Pacific Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Aloha jrctodd,

Thank you so much for staying with us! We appreciate your comments and I am very happy to hear that you found our location to be very convenient and that you loved our mai tais! Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences that you encountered. I certainly appreciate this feedback so that we can improve. I have already began sharing your feedback with our front desk team to ensure this issue does not occur again in the future. I am at your service if there is anything I can assist you with. Thanks again for letting me know.

baker@pacificbeachhotel.com