“Never ever again. Do not stay here”

Pacific Beach Hotel
Ranked #47 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Sydney, Australia
“Never ever again. Do not stay here”
Reviewed 29 August 2014

When I booked the motel (resort) I was looking forward to a really nice stay. How wrong was I?
It first started when my wife and I checked in. Or at least tried to check in.
We arrived late and there was no customers at the reception desk. We were told by the rude and cold check in person there was no king bed which we asked for. We were given two double beds. No compromise. Nothing. When we went to the room on the NON SMOKING floor, the room smelled like someone had just smoked a packet of cigarettes in there and then closed the door.
So back down to the reception desk we went. The next person who served us said we could have a room on a different floor and said we could check in to that one. We did that.
The next day the reception should of had the 2 double beds moved out and a king bed replaced with it.
The room we had looked like it had water damage. The skirting boards had swelled to double their size near the bathroom.
When we got up in the morning and had a shower the bath filled up. That's not supposed to happen. I even pulled the non working mechanical plug out and put it on the side of the bath.

We discovered that their was water bottles given out when customers checked in. We didn't get ours. Other people had theirs. I felt discriminated against.

Room Tip: If you get room 1115 take the plug out.
4 Thank Murray Y
PacBeach H, Guest Experience Manager at Pacific Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Aloha Murray Y,

I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor and for bringing your concerns to our attention. I cannot even express how disappointed I am to read your review and it is not our typical high standard and friendly service we are proud of.

Please accept my sincere apologies for falling short of your expectations and for the experience you encountered during your recent stay. We confirmed your reservation in two Double Beds and received your request of King Bed upon check-in. We try our best to accommodate every request, but unfortunately it was not physically available. After sharing your comments with our team, we are all using your comments as a training tool to help us improve our service. It is very rare that nobody was at the Front Desk, but we are all making sure our agents are always visible at the Front Desk to assist our guests. Our maintenance team already fixed the water damage and drain in the room. Our Housekeeping team is making sure to clean our guest rooms thoroughly. Moreover, I am very excited to inform you that we are currently finalizing our renovation plans which will completely transform the entire hotel and all of our conditional issues will be resolved after renovation has been completed. In the meantime, we are taking our guests’ feedback seriously and we are committed to continuously improving our service to satisfy our guests.

Please know that we very much appreciate your feedback and you are giving us an opportunity to improve. We would like to invite you to our hotel on your next visit to Hawaii and I can assure that you will have a better experience you deserve next time. I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back again in the future.

Guest Experience Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (831)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I am shocked at the positive reviews. We must have hit them on a bad week ? We stayed 3 nights, we would have left earlier, but they refused to refund our money for the other 2 nights so had to stay. Parking/ Valet issues same as others have mentioned, and extremely small rooms, staff very rude, everything way over priced. I will never never never stay here again…. the list goes on and on… I trusted the good reviews… but trust me it is way over priced and more hype than it is. Absolutely terrible experience : (

Room Tip: Don’t waste your money. VRBO and Airbnb’s are far far better, you get way more and worth your money...
4 Thank sweetsuki7000
PacBeach H, Guest Experience Manager at Pacific Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Aloha sweetsuki7000,

I want to first thank you for staying with us. I hope you can accept my sincere apologies for falling far short of your expectations. I am very shocked to see your review and I am disappointed to hear your comments that your experience was way far from pleasant. Please know that we take our guests’ feedback seriously and we are committed to continuously improving our service to satisfy our guests. I am grateful that you are giving us a chance to improve and we appreciate that you took time to share your experience with us. I am excited to inform you of our upcoming plans to renovate the entire hotel and our hotel will be completely transformed. In the meantime, we are making many changes to enhance our guests’ experiences. We sincerely hope to have an opportunity to personally welcome you back again in the future.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 28 August 2014

This hotel has a great location, near high-end shopping, a swimming "pool" on the oceanfront, and one block from the Zoo. There is a 24 Hour Fitness gym located in the same block (I didn't check to see if it's the hotel gym or not - I was too tired as we were only there for one night). The rooms come furnished with amenities such as green tea (which was much appreciated) in addition to a coffee packet, toothbrushes (one for each of us), toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, and body lotion. Our balcony was parallel to the shoreline, facing the street that the hotel fronts. I think there are rooms in another of the "towers" that overlook the ocean, but since we were only there for one night, we didn't bother to check that out. Our room was perfectly acceptable. There was a single king-sized bed, which was perfect, as there were only two of us.

The check-in and check-out were easy and fast, even though we hadn't made a reservation (we'd booked our stay initially at another venue in Honolulu, but that fell through, so we came here as a quick adjustment for our one night in Honolulu). We had called a taxi ahead of time, and were picked up at the hotel entrance for our departure.

Room Tip: I don't know the name of the "tower" that faces the ocean, but if you can, ask for an...
1 Thank Nancyuen
PacBeach H, Guest Experience Manager at Pacific Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Aloha Nancyuen,

How fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us and for rating us 5-stars! I am above thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our central location, liked our amenities in the room, and your room was perfect for your stay. Our guests can get discounted passes to 24 Hour Fitness, but we also have in-house Fitness Center, opens 24-hours, equipped with treadmills, ellipticals, stationary bicycle, weight machines, free weights and yoga mats. Again, thank you for staying with us and we love to have you back again on your next visit to Honolulu! Take care!

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 August 2014

The staff are very helpful. From the moment I arrived to the moment I left they have made my stays enjoyable. On my last visit, after experiencing 2 consecutive delayed flights and so arriving quite late and weary, the front desk was particularly helpful in tending to me. The location is great, room had a great view. More than happy to recommend the Pacific Beach Hotel.

Room Tip: Enjoy the view
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Aloha John G,

What an incredible 5-star review! We truly appreciate your praises regarding our staff, location, and views from your room. Our team is so happy that we were able to help create memorable experience for you. Thank you for recommending our hotel to other travelers and we can’t wait to welcome you back again soon!

Fullerton, California
Reviewed 27 August 2014

This was my first trip to Hawaii and it was the best! I hadn't booked any tours in advance so I was a bit worried, but the concierge at this hotel was amazing!!!! Facundo Carranza had the best attitude, advise and patience. I stayed for a week with my daughter and he booked all of our tours the same day. The Pearl Harbor tour was cancelled due to bad weather (hurricane) and he immediately accomodated it for another day. He answered all my questions and was available at all times. Always with a smile on his face and the friendliest attitude even when he had 3 or 4 people waiting in line. I never felt like he was rushing when taking care of my tours. THANK YOU SO MUCH FACUNDO! YOU ARE THE BEST!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
PacBeach H, Guest Experience Manager at Pacific Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 12 September 2014
Aloha MARIA G,

What a tremendous 5-star review! Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us and for the shout out! Facundo is so happy that he was able to help create wonderful experience for you and your daughter. I am so proud of him and we are so fortunate to have him as part of our team. I am also delighted to hear that your first trip to Hawaii was the best. Come back again and visit Facundo on your next stay with us!

Grand Junction, Colorado
Reviewed 27 August 2014

The hotel is in a great location. The decor is a little outdated but that isn't all that important. It was clean and all the staff was very friendly and helpful. We did not eat at the buffet but it smelled great every time we went by! We got awesome massages at the spa! The beds were the most comfortable I've slept in!

Room Tip: The pool is kind of secluded on the roof of the 4th floor. We found it the night we got our massages...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Chantae P
PacBeach H, Guest Experience Manager at Pacific Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Aloha Chantae P,

Thank you for your kind words and for sharing your recent stay with us! I am pleased to hear that you found our room to be clean and staff to be very friendly and helpful. Our Housekeeping team works so hard every day and they are very passionate about their work. We just installed new mattresses in our guest room and I am glad that you found the beds to be very comfortable. You have to try our seafood buffet at the award-winning Oceanarium Restaurant next time! We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Kailua, Hawaii
Reviewed 27 August 2014

The hotel room was in great shape and the view was outstanding. Can't beat the location in Waikiki. Friendly and caring customer service from reservation to check in to the restaurant to check out. The food in the Oceanrium restaurant was tasty and plentiful. Every employee that we met or interacted with seemed to love their job and really wanted us to enjoy our time at the hotel.

Aloha Bill V,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for the glowing TripAdvisor review! Your praises regarding our room, views, location, staff, and seafood buffet at the Oceanarium Restaurant are very much appreciated. We always treat our guests with Aloha spirit and we all love what we do here at the Pacific Beach Hotel! Visit our friendly staff again soon!