“No Problems, Helpful and Pleasant Staff, Great Room”

Pacific Beach Hotel
Ranked #51 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 24 November 2005

We stayed here in Nov. We reserved the Romantic Escapade Package. We Stayed a total of 6 nights. The package included an Oceanfront Room. We were on the 11th floor and were lucky to be given a corner room without even asking. The veiw was great, oceanfront and a side view up the street towards the International Marketplace. We were given a nice welcome card, a bottle of Champagne, and free Breakfast Buffet every morning.

The room was very clean, yes it's a little dated but it was very comfortable. The Breakfast Buffet was good, we ate 4 out of the 6 days there. Always the same food, but always good. We never waited for elevators long like some people complained about. Also, we never noticed a fishy or dirty smell others complained about. The staff were freindly, especially the cleaning staff.

The only problem we had was when we pulled up I asked the Valet where the self parking was, he told me, I went to check in, and while checking in he said he had to "move" my car becasue it was blocking someone. He actually valet parked it. But, I told the desk clerk what happened and she took the Valet charge off the bill. So, problem resolved.

It was great to have laundry facility on site. We will defintely stay there again. Great location, great staff, great price for what we got!

• Stayed: November 2005
9  Thank jimcdenco
There are newer reviews for Pacific Beach Hotel

California
Reviewed 15 November 2005

I'm the second couple that came to this hotel along with BC from Cali...
This hotel stank~~~~

JS from Cali

• Stayed: September 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 November 2005

We stayed at the Pacific Beach Hotel on Oct. 30/05 on a 1 night stop over in Honolulu. We read previous reviews with complaints of the hotel lobby smelling like fish due to the large fish tank in the restaurant....we barely noticed a smell. With hotels I am very picky. We found the rooms were decent and clean, very important. Try to ask for a corner room in the beach tower with ocean view. The view from the balcony is wonderful. The housekeeping staff was very friendly and accommodating. The front desk and concierge were also both very friendly and helpful. The price was good for this type of hotel. It's not a 5 star, probably a 3. I would likely stay again if in Honolulu for a night or two.

10  Thank Br0
Yukon, OK
Reviewed 3 November 2005

This was my 4th visit to Honolulu and I have stayed at the Pacific Beach Hotel each and every time. The staff is very helpfull and each time I have visited have had a great experience. The view from either side of the hotel is great. One side is Waikiki and the other is Diamond Head.
Although you have to cross the street to get to Waikiki Beach, for the price this hotel has the best value. The rooms are nicely furnished and clean. The location cant be beat. Right in the middle of the main Waikiki area, close to the surfbord rentals on the beach and several GREAT resturaunts are just a block away. Tiki's is a favorite with great views of the beach and sunsets.
**A little hint.** If you are looking for the best for your buck, call the Hotel Directly and be specific in what you ask for. Also ask for the corporate rate. All you need to do is show a business card when you check in. The Beach Tower offers the best views.

• Stayed: June 2004, travelled on business
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 30 October 2005

My girlfriend and I recently stayed at this hotel for 11 nights. During the online reservation I requested a Ocean View room with a King Size Bed and Non-Smoking.

We arrived early and the hotel was happy to store our bags until the 2pm check-in. After reading numerous negative reviews on this website I was dubious to say the least on how the room would be when we arrived. I was pleased to find a King Size bed on a non-smoking floor available with an 'ocean view.' More really a view of Diamond Head to the south and reasonable view of the ocean from the 18th Floor. If you want a great view during your staying, head to the balcony on the 37th Floor and take your camera.

The hotel, when we left on the 29th, were finalizing the repairs to the dining area next the aquarium. Yes the odor is unpleasant, however, I can't understand why so many people complain. Why are they hanging around the lobby of a hotel? Either go up to your room or head outside and enjoy the weather.

Neither of us ate at any of the Pacific Beach Hotel restaurants. Nor did we use any amenities (Pool, Spa, Tennis Court, Massage or Gym) so I can't comment on the quality of those.

All in all, the room I found was reasonably appointed for the money. It was vacuumed and cleaned every day, the staff at the desk were pleasant and always too happy to book shuttle services to Waikele, Arizona Memorial etc. I would recommend this hotel for someone wanting affordable, beachfront location in Waikiki.

11  Thank richjheath
berkeley, ca
Reviewed 24 October 2005

After reviewing the various hotels and prices for an oceanview room, we booked the Pacific Beach via their website. We were quoted $130 a night for an oceanview room, which we thought was almost too good to be true...it was. At the time of our booking, we made sure to differentiate b/t 'partial oceanview' and 'oceanview'. When we complained to mgmt and showed them the receipt from our booking, their response was that they could upgrade us to a full oceanview for more $$, but didn't offer any other response or explanation for how the initial booking was described. Also, if you've read the reviews about the 'garlicky' smell in the lobby, it's all true. And it permeates the air ALL DAY long. The place isn't awful, but the rooms and carpeting throughout could DEFINITELY use some upgrading. Also, there's an added charge of $3/day if you want to use the in-room safe; and the fitness center is an actual 24-Hr Fitness located adjacent to the hotel, which is an add'l charge if you want to use it. If you're just looking for a place to crash, it's not bad. But, if where you stay is an important factor, you should consider paying a bit more for someplace else.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
California
Reviewed 21 October 2005

My husband and I celebrated our first anniversary in Oahu and stayed at the Pacific Beach Hotel. Upon our arrival, we thought the place looked very nice. When we checked in, we were as happy as can be being in such a beautiful island on our anniversary. When we checked in, the front desk congratulated us on our anniversary and sent us on our way. When we got into our room, we were quite surprised to be given a DOUBLE instead of the King that we requested when we first reserved the room. I called downstairs to be told that no rooms were available until 7pm. (It was 2pm when we checked in) They said we could stay in the room until the King was available. We decided to go to dinner and change rooms upon our return. After dinner (and a few drinks later) we arrived back at the hotel with our keys ready for pick up. That was really nice! After settling, we decided to go downstairs to the pool for a little relaxation. We headed down to find the door locked to the pool so we went to the information desk in the lobby to find out how to access the pool. He man at the information desk said the pool closed at 9:00pm (it was 9:15pm) but that we could "*cough* USE THE POOL FOR $100 FOR AN HOUR!!!" I was shocked and insulted to be initiated into a bribe to use their facility! I told him that he was kidding himself if he thought anyone would pay him. I went back to my room and called for a manger to tell him what had happened. They put Ben, the night manager on the phone and he told me to come downstairs to tell him what had happened. We went downstairs to tell him the situation and which point he did nothing and said that there was nothing he could do. I was very upset that this kind of behavior was acceptable in a well established hotel. I realized that the Pacific Beach Hotel was definitely not about customer service.

Also, I had read reviews regarding the smell of the lobby and indeed, it does smell. It wasn't only at dinner times but at all times of the day. It smelled as if the aquarium had leaked onto the carpet and say there damp, moldy and old for weeks. Needless to say, we didn't eat at the hotel once.

If you are planning on going to Oahu...stay at another hotel unless customer service, getting what you want, and odor isn't a high priority.

-BC from Cali