“Location is everything.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Honolulu
Waikiki Central Hotel
Ranked #37 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Location is great. This is an older budget hotel located 1 block from the beach. The room was clean with a kitchenette. Coffee pot with package of coffee everyday. Staff always friendly and helpful. They have beach toys you can use any time you want, so you dont have to rent a boogie board. Not far from anywhere especially the beach. Be aware this is a very simple hotel great is you are on a budget.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Waikiki Central Hotel

Reviewed 1 December 2013

My husband and i enjoyed our stay here. It was a 1 minute walk to the beach and all the shops! Literally, you walk down the street for one minute and everything is right there. When you reach the beach, if you go left you have great places to eat. Cheeseburger in Paradise is RIGHT THERE and it was pretty tasty! Highly recommend one night of splurging and eat at Tikis!! sooo yummy. We went back two other times to listen to live music and have drinks in the outside bar area. If you go right you have all the shopping- Forever21 & Loveculture were my favorite :D This was a great trip for us. But if it's your first time traveling to Hawaii, (as it was ours) i suggest at least one day get out of Waikiki. Go to Kailua Beach park, you will not regret it! TRUE paradise. Waikiki is busy busy busy and the beach is only OK compared to Kailua. the Bus system is great in Hawaii, you do not need a rental car if you have a phone with access to google maps.

ANYWAY, this hotel is good for the price. We spent 7 nights here. Food is super expensive in Waikiki & It was important for us to find a hotel with a kitchenette. Saved soo much money by getting a few things at Walmart. We ended up pushing the two beds together to create a bigger bed for us. THE HAIR DRYER SERIOUSLY RULES, i wanted to take it home. It's so powerful and dried my hair in like two minutes. There wasn't anything I didn't like at this hotel, but it's not super nice or extravagant. But you are in Hawaii, unless it's raining....you're gonna be outside! That reminds me, the TV does not have very many channels. There is no DVD player or anything.. we ended up watching this japanese soap opera that was actually pretty good. It had english subtitles. so ya, keep an open mind to these channels, you never know. Vacation is a time to try new things anyway ;)

Last, i wanted to mention the little convenient store just around the corner. They have huuuge water bottles for 99 cents. They have lots of good deals but that's where we got our water the whole week. Oh, and the kids at the front desk are nice and were very helpful with any questions we had about the area.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

Location is perfect, about a 30 second walk from the main area of the beach. Staff were friendly and polite. They give you a fresh beach towel and beach mat when you need it and you can change your bathroom towel at reception when u want. The air con was cold enough and the room clean. Its a simple set up but if your on a budget I'd recommend this place. Enterprise rental cars is about 100 metres down the road if you need a car as well.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NZCuz
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Waikiki Prince is one of the few family-owned and very affordable hotels in the heart of Waikiki. It is ideally located just three blocks from beaches, restaurants, local transportation, the International Market and shopping. The room in which I stayed had two queen-size beds, cable TV, fully equipped kitchenette (including stove, small refrigerator, rice cooker, pans, dishes, toaster, coffee maker, plates, glasses and silverware), bathroom, and balcony. You can even borrow beach chairs, towels and boogie boards from the office if you arrive early; the office opens at 9:00 am. While there are small grocery stores nearby they tended to be very expensive so I went to Chinatown by bus to purchase my food. This in itself saved me a considerable amount of money. Across the street from the hotel were a very good Korean restaurant and a restaurant that served "natural foods." I would recommend them both. I would definitely stay at the Waikiki Prince again. It is truly a bargain hunter's dream.

Room Tip: Request a room on the upper floors. There is a small independent car rental agency operating out of...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Skydancer1955
Reviewed 10 November 2013

This was a 2 night stay prior to a cruise. Free WiFi !! The rooms were small and dimly lit, but the sheets and room were clean. We rented a vehicle right next door for an island touring day. The hotel has beach mats, umbrellas,chairs and towels to borrow. Being a self-proclaimed "princess", I was very wary when we first arrived at this little hotel on a side street, but was soon convinced of the great deal we got by booking at the Waikiki Prince.
The review by " vt2pearis5313 " said it all.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Egnever2013
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I love this place! I actually booked this last-minute when I was already at the Honolulu airport and this came up in an internet search as affordable and highly rated/recommended. I was travelling by myself and just needed the basics: a place to store/access my luggage, to sleep, to wash, to use Wi-Fi, and to be walking distance to food and the beach. I initially booked 2 nights but ended up staying 2 weeks. Best decision ever.

The location is excellent - just a few hundred feet away from the beach. This hotel is right behind resorts like the Aston and Hyatt Regency, who all share the same stretch of beach and are the same distance to restaurants, shops, etc. Unless you're on a honeymoon, who cares about having a window view when you conveniently have the real thing? I just walked out in my bathing suit, passed by a few surfboard rentals, walked onto the sands of Waikiki Beach, and swam in the crystal clear waters. I watched so many gorgeous sunsets on the beach before going to bed. This hotel is on the same block as a hostel (which is even cheaper for the budget-minded), but I didn't want to: sleep on a bunk bed (cramped), share a space (bed and bath), change clothes in front of others, socialize with potentially creepy guests, keep locking/unlocking all my luggage, or worry about leaving my personal items unattended. This was the perfect solution.

This place is utilitarian, meaning just the basics, nothing more. It's old and unadorned. It keeps the weather out (wind, rain, sun) but isn't exactly soundproof (you can hear motorcycles and people talking loudly on the street, but I never heard neighboring guests in their rooms). It's very clean - maybe some stains and tears from being worn, but no bugs, no dust, no smells, nothing sticky or gross. The hotel supplies TP, soap, shampoo, both bath and beach towels, as much as you need - just ask.

As for amenities, this hotel has small TVs, but they're in small rooms, and the TVs have cable. The air conditioning is easy to operate and blasts cool air instantly. The fridge is big enough to hold all your food and drinks so they stay cold and don't smell or attract bugs, though the freezer shelf probably only holds two frozen dinners and some popsicles. The rooms have fast reliable Wi-Fi that's easy to log onto and never dropped me. The lighting is a bit dim, but there are multiple lights, and you can still easily read at night.

This place is not good for: luxury travelers (no view, no gym, no pool, no restaurant/room service/breakfast besides brew-your-own coffee), partying (small rooms, small TVs, quiet neighbors), big groups (unless you don't mind splitting up), or high-maintenance people (daily room cleaning, wake-up calls, 24/7 service hours -- it's 8am-8pm here, unless you disturb the resident manager).

This place is recommended for: people traveling alone/pairs/small families, those staying long-term (days, weeks, even months -- they allow advance bookings and are flexible extending stays, though you may need to switch rooms), those who love the beach (free to borrow their beach umbrellas, folding chairs, straw beach mats, boogie boards, beach towels), those who want convenience and affordable rates, and those who want a home away from home (friendly and helpful staff, but nobody poking their nose into your stuff).

Room Tip: I stayed in two rooms sequentially (I had to move because I extended my stay, and my current room wa...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
7  Thank vt2pearis5313
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We stay at this hotel the past January to February for 18 days. we had the best deal ever, best price for the location, our room small but very clean, the staff was the friendly people and very helpful. we are coming back next year. We can't wait to be there. i highly recommend this hotel, close to waikiki beach, restaurants and public transportation.

Room Tip: We stay at the third floor because we like the lower floor so we don't have to use the elevator...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple