“Consistenly amazing service from beginning to end!”
Review of Halekulani Hotel

Halekulani Hotel
Ranked #8 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Consistenly amazing service from beginning to end!”
Reviewed 27 July 2011

The Halekulani Hotel was an oasis of calm in the always chaotic Waikiki. My friend and I stayed there for a girl’s weekend in July. From the minute we arrived at the hotel the service was amazing. Our room wasn't ready (we arrived in the morning at 10:30am) so we were taken (not directed - someone walked us there) to the Hospitality Room where we could change our clothes and leave our luggage. They then took our cell number and called us as soon as the room was ready. The spa was very private - with your own changing room and sauna or tub. My friend's massage therapist saw her as we were leaving 2 days later and called out to her by name to have a good trip! Very personalized service and great treatments. The location of the hotel was excellent, right by all the hustle and bustle of Waikiki shopping and right on the beach. The pool area was serene; the people that work at the pool get your towels and set you up each day. The chair covers were wonderfully soft. We went into some of the other big name hotels nearby (like the Royal Hawaiian) and people looked crammed in like sardines - not at the Halekulani. Another example of the amazing service - I handed over postcards and bought stamps - the concierge noticed after I'd left that I hadn't addressed the postcards (just too relaxed!). She only knew my first name (how I'd signed the cards) so she searched the hotel guest list for guests with my name and called. How many hotels would do that? Oh, and be sure to have lunch at the Room Without A Key - sublime! The room was comfortable and wonderfully calming. We never heard another guest even though we knew the hotel was almost full. The bathrooms were huge. I could go on and on, it’s worth every penny! We're already planning our girl’s getaway again for next year and we'll be staying at the Halekulani Hotel!!

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly and ask for what you want.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
los angeles, ca
Reviewed 27 July 2011

My husband and I stayed here in early May. I have to say that even in the rain, the Halekulani is awesome. The service is all around excellent. We dined at House Without A Key for lunch daily, and Orchids for Breakfast and Dinner - really enjoyed them all. I wish the weather had been better, but it was still a really pleasant experience. The staff does go out of their way for you and that is what sets the hotel apart from the rest in Waikiki. The hotel lacks the "flashiness" of some other hotels, but it is an understated luxury and calm that keeps us returning to the Halekulani. We have stayed at Halekulani several times now, and I don't think we would stay anywhere else while on Oahu. Also, I would recommend Nobu across the street for dinner - not just for the sashimi, the entrees are great, too.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
San Mateo, California
Reviewed 26 July 2011

We were in town for a reunion. Generally we prefer to stay on neighbor islands, where there is less hustle & bustle. The Halekulani is in the heart of Waikiki but because it is a smaller hotel it feels quiet. It was a great place to be for this trip.

Our room was clean, everything worked properly, couldn't ask for more. We slept well on the comfortable bed.

When we arrived there was some fresh fruit (cut papaya and bananas and chocolates), and then they brought champagne because this also was our annual anniversary trip wtihout the kids. What a treat!

The pool is small - not really for laps or kids to play.

We got massages at the spa and the therapists were great, the overall service was wonderful.

The beach access was superb.

The food at the House Without a Key was quite good. We splurged on La Mer one night and it was excellent - fabulous service, great food. Service in general was good, not at the level of hotels in San Francisco or Shanghai, but for Hawaii it was great.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 24 July 2011

WOW. This hotel was heaven on earth. We stayed here for the first 7 nights of our trip and looking back, I wish we had stayed at this hotel the whole 2 weeks! The service was outstanding, from check-in to the bell boys, concierge the pool staff. Everyone was so friendly and attentive.
We booked a Garden Courtyard room which was beautiful and we could even see the ocean from our balcony! The hotel facilities were great. The fitness room was well equip. We ate at all 3 restaurants within the hotel and they were all great. Especially La Mer the fine dining French restaurant. The food was amaaazing, the service was polished, not too fussy. The view was magical. Orchid did the best a la carte breakfast- order the banana and macadamia nut pancakes....YUM!!!
The best thing about this hotel is the location. It is literally on the sand on Waikiki beach. It is at the nice end of Waikiki as well. The pool was amazing. Big enough so you weren't swimming on top of other people. The hardest decision we had to make the whole time was whether we swim in the pool or the ocean! Lots of restaurants near by and close to the DFS Galleria which is where the trolleys depart from.
There is a surf school directly across the road called Ty Gurney's surf school. We ended up surfing with them almost every day, and we could even charge it to our room which was super convenient! The instructors there were super friendly, I would recommend them highly!
All in all I can easily say that the Halekulani was the best hotel experience I have ever had. We will be back for sure!!!

Kailua, Hawaii
Reviewed 24 July 2011

Spent two night here and the setting and the service are unbelievable. It's not cheap, but what extraordinary experiences are. We felt pampered and, more than that, everything was just effortless. Dined i La Mer (also expensive but worth it).

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 July 2011

This is a 5 star property by American Express. NO WAY. This is no different than any other cheesy hotel in the Waikiki area but ONLY at twice the price ! Stay at an Outrigger or Embassey Suites, same room, same view, same pool but at least not shaking you down. We had reserved an ocean front room with 2 queens for a couple and a young adult child (21 yrs). This was made clear on the reservation. But when we checked in they wanted another $120 per day. I refused and stated that if I were wanting to pay over 700 per day, I could get a much better room. Then they wanted to charge me $40 per day extra. Finally I got it for what I booked. Still ripped off. Staff rude with the exception of the waiters at the Orchid restaurant. Restaurants are adequate, nothing special. Rooms are "where were you in '72 ?" Ready for an update any decade now. Housekeeping didn't even replace drinking glasses we used during the day (just took them away.) Turn down service included leaving a shell on the pillow one night and a magnet on another night. Could you spare 3 Hershey kisses at least ? Pool is nice, limited chaises as with most hotels in this area. Sliding door to the lanai area kept breaking so that it could not be opened. Had to call maintenace 3 times during 3 days. Like another reviewer I could not wait to get out of there.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
26 Thank RobfromPA
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 20 July 2011

This is not a five star hotel. What a horrible disappointment. The rooms are so cheesy, dirty, dated and in need of a total rehab. They smell musty and disgusting. The service and food are terrible. After ordering room service, let the server know that we we like some soy sauce for the white rice, he sighed and was very annoyed that he would have to go get it. The worst part is paying, $1,995 per night for a suite for our family and we are trapped here. We would love to leave and go to a different hotel, but we had to pre pay and cannot get a refund. The beach is awful and tiny with no chairs, cabanas or umbrellas. To get shade at the pool, need to reserve early. Everything is awful. I rather be at home. Counting the hours until we can leave.

Stayed July 2011, travelled with family