“An Oasis in the middle of Waikiki”
Review of Halekulani Hotel

Halekulani Hotel
Ranked #8 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
San Diego
“An Oasis in the middle of Waikiki”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

This hotel never fails to impress me. We have stayed a number of times and the service is top-notch. The rooms are well appointed, the view was fabulous, room amenities are perfect. Turn-down service here is something to look forward to with a little gift on your pillow every night. The restaurants and bars are all fabulous (but that's a different review). Their pool is one of the best! You can walk outside into the chaos that is now Waikiki and it is always so nice to return to this lovely home away from home.

Room Tip: Partial ocean view is the best way to go. Garden view sometimes gets street noise.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank callan1034

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I had had dinner at the Halekuani before but never stayed there. Went there for 4 days of pleasure and enjoyed it, but paid $560 for partial ocean view room plus taxes, etc. I was on the AMEX Centurion plan and was practically assured of an upgrade but ""all rooms were full" but I couldn't find the people. The room was 3 star at best, old carpet stained tub, average amenities. My fault for not asking for a better room up front...but still....The hotel manager did send a letter offering a 2 room upgrade next visit, but not sure when that might be. My last visit I stayed at the Westin Surfrider and like the quaintness much better at half the price

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Stephen B
Auckland
Reviewed 11 November 2013

A bit late in writing this review. My partner and I stayed here in July for a week, then went to Maui and came back to Halekulani for a few more nights before returning to New Zealand. We also stayed here in 2012. I cannot add much to what I said in my previous review. I am amazed when I read some of the negative reviews. It is like the reviewer is writing about a completely different hotel. Halekulani is paradise. We stayed on the 10th floor, partial ocean view room and it was fantastic. I cannot wait to return in 2014!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Bortam
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

A never to be forgotten visit, this hotel is one of the best in the world!! The understated service and the nightly sunset cocktail entertainment was enough to make us want to come back every year . The view from the room and the promptness if room service and housekeeping was amazing .

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank widelytravelled2015
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Perhaps if I was a Japanese bride on a wedding package I'd have done better. The pictures tell a good part of the story. I paid $500 a night for "garden view" room (admittedly with the prospect of getting an upgrade through my cc program). What I'm looking at is a tile roof. I could be anywhere in the world and wouldn't know I'm in HI.

Background - I had booked two rooms in the area some time ago. The Trump because it appeared to be more my style, and the Halekulani because a friend - a local - recommended it. While on a business trip in Europe days before coming to Hawaii, I realized I had to cancel one. I called my cc company's travel line and was on hold for 8 minutes. At $3 a minute from Europe I figured I'd better bail and would deal with it when I got home then next day. When I got home I called and when I reached an agent she told me - and I knew - that each property had a 72 hour cancel policy (and I was calling about 60 hours in advance).

She put me on hold and called the Halekulani and they said "nope, if you want to cancel it's a a full night's payment as a penalty". (This will be material later.) THANKFULLY the TRUMP said "no problem" and I canceled that room. (That was where I wanted to go - $50 a night less, with an ocean view and a kitchen . . . )

Back to arrival. I checked in and asked about an upgrade (which I knew in advance was "subject to availability"). I was told that nothing was available. Even if I waited. BECAUSE THEY WERE FULLY COMMITTED. That was a point of contention . . . you're so full yet you wanted me to pay a full night's fee as a penalty to cancel the reservation??? Lousy and illogical service policy.

I got to the room and was astonished to find a room that could have been in Des Moines or Phoenix or ???. A view out to a rooftop. No sense at all that I was in HI. No mini bar. No view from floor 3. Nada.

I called down and expressed my disappointment - the MOD wouldn't budge. I told the tale of trying to cancel from Europe within the time frame; she went away and come back to tell me that even now she wouldn't let me out of the reservation without a penalty. Wow.

I also had the certificate from my cc company that promised certain amenities. The interpretation was clear to me that I was going to get x, y and z. They said no, it meant only x and y. I was too tired to argue. I was stuck and unhappy.

It was even more delightful to get a note morning one indicating the possibliity of construction noise and the next morning that laundry service would be interrupted due to servicing. Understandable, just all the more offensive.

On a positive note, the room was comfortable enough (although the bed is way too soft to suit me), and the bathroom / closet space enormous. The grounds were nice and the food good (bfast at House Without a Key and dinner at Orchids). Heard a fair amount of noise from adjacent rooms. No concentrator for the hair dryer. Fair towels. Nice shower (water pressure and fixtures) but tiny. This was soooooooooooo not worth it and I wouldn't recommend this property or stay here again.

This could have been an easy win on the part of the hotel. The customer is unhappy, would like to change to another property, let her go. Instead, the "dig in the heels" posture of the staff made this situation even worse.

A very unhappy respite. Very.

Room Tip: don't be duped into paying big money for a "garden view" room. Ain't no garden I...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
24 Thank MiddleNameGO10019
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I had not stayed at this hotel for ten years and it was delightful to find that everything was even lovelier than I remember. It is perfectly situated in the middle of the tourist area of Honolulu but from the moment you walk into the beautiful open lobby area it is an elegant haven of peace and serentity. The service is impeccable at all levels - friendly but not obsequious. The rooms have been renovated and are very comfortable and pleasant and while some might find them still a little dated in style at least they have resisted the ubiquitous dark wood modernist style in so many five star hotels.
My only complaint about this hotel in the past was that the pool seemed slightly small for the number of guests but this time it seemed fine - large and attractive enough and there were plenty of sun beds to go around at even the busiest time. Above all the guests in and around the pool were like the rest of the hotel, quiet, peaceful and polite.
It is also right on the beach with easy access if you want to dip in the ocean as well.
The restaurant and bar area at night is a lovely way to watch the sunset.
The whole hotel exudes serenity and luxury.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view room in the main tower overlooking the pool and beach as the balconies are very la...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank J9_Sydney
Manchester
Reviewed 29 October 2013

This is such a lovely up market hotel. Rooms are all the same but it depends on view for the price. We had a sea view and was well worth the upgrade. The hotel itself was fantastic, great staff, location and amenities. The place was paradise my favourite holiday destination ever! The hotel is very old school high quality and I would definitely recommend and stay here again. We debated for ages where to stay as we like our luxury and this is by far the best out of all the options on Waikiki beach. We looked at all the others we didn't chose and happy we made right choice. Worth the extra costings.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple