“I got married here!”
Review of Halekulani Hotel

Halekulani Hotel
Ranked #8 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Working with Loren was a real joy. She was always available, very friendly, and always professional. Compared to other hotels, the Halekulani is very pricey for a stay. However, compared with other venues for a wedding, the Halekulani is actually very fairly priced! I selected the Hau Terrace for pupus and then dinner. There was no fee for the room, just a food minimum, which was easily hit. The ambiance of the hotel is lovely, it really is as nice as others say. I can give more information to anyone considering getting married here, just private message me on TripAdvisor. But in just a few words, rest assured that if you decide to get married at the Halekulani you will NOT regret it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The view is gorgeous. We had a junior suite and it was so SO wonderful. We hope to spend our anniversary there.

Thank you Halekulani and especially Loren.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ShantaHawaii
Write a ReviewReviews (2,618)

Reviewed 5 January 2014

There was not a thing the staff at the Halekulani wouldn't do for you. It's a peaceful sanctuary in the heart of Waikiki where the serenity is really noticeable compared with other hotels in the area. There's lots of grass and the pool area is lovely. They bring around iced water, muffins, ice creams etc, while you're lying poolside.
There are great facilities if you check in early or need to take a shower after checking out. This was terrific for our late night flight home.
In terms of the hotel room, it was not the most modern, but everything is really classy, clean and tidy, with housekeeping changing towels and refilling your ice bucket several times/day.
I'd like to try somewhere else in Waikiki but because of the service and the "feel" of this hotel especially by the pool area, we're just about to book another week.
Tip: don't forget to take some nice clothes because there is a dress code at some of the restaurants!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Hotel is a beautifully run, grand place. We spend Christmas 2013 at hotel. The public spaces are beautiful and everything is immaculately maintained. The service at all restaurants and bars was superb. Room was on small size but bed was very comfortable and (again) all was so well maintained size sort of didn't matter. Two flaws (one which the Halekulani can fix):

1. The hotel wireless for guests is dismally slow and spotty. We were on 12th floor overlooking pool and rarely got a wifi signal. It really felt like "1994" in terms of the quality of the internet. I have personally gotten better internet in remote no star hotels in Morocco. What gives in a super expensive property in the US?

2. Waikiki is becoming a depressing mix of crappy American Restaurant chains and huge "designer" shopping malls. Halekulani property is a delight, but one step off the property is absolute dreck.

Room Tip: Splurge and get the full ocean view.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Freak77
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Stayed here for two nights after staying at The Modern for 4 nights. The Halekulani is a beautiful old lady, in need of a bit of TLC! The service was very good (but not as good as the FSR Maui), but everything from the staff uniform to the room décor is in desperate need of an update. We decided to stay here as we have always wanted to experience The Halekulani, and we did enjoy the experience and ambience!
We had a beachfront room which had an amazing view, but we will not return until the grand old dame gets a facelift!!
Old world charm and service is one thing, but surely at the prices charged for rooms, they could start with updating the staff uniforms, which look worn, faded and very tired!,
It could be a sensational hotel, given it's location!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank goslats
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I spent a week during Christmas 2012 at the Halekulani Hotel (you can find my previous review) only to return home and immediately book a week during Christmas 2013 at the Halekulani Hotel.

While this hotel, its staff, food, location and service are not perfect - it is the closest thing to it.

All of my arrangements were made through the concierge - not a mistake was made, all the details were handled flawlessly. If you are planning a trip to the Halekulani - connect early with your concierge for dinner reservations, car service, special pillows, etc., it will save you time in the long run. I used the same concierge for both trips and she is the finest concierge I have ever met.

For eight days I ate at the breakfast buffet and it was still delicious and fresh after eight days. House Without A Key staff are wonderful, kind and love what they do.

Housekeeping - wonderful room cleaning staff and evening turn-down service. You may miss this the most when you leave.

Spa - truly gifted massage technicians. I had a sports injury that flared up that was so bad I could barely move so I camped out in front of the Halekulani Spa until they opened and they were able to treat me that morning. I received instant relief and each day I got better and better.

A quick tip about holiday travel when President Obama is in town - we got hung up in a traffic stop and were late for our flight. Luckily, we did not miss it. Keep that in mind for your plans.

Thank you Halekulani staff!

Room Tip: Last year we had garden view and this year we had ocean view. The garden view (still had view of oc...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RomanVancouver
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Our stay Thanksgiving week was our sixth time at the Halekulani. It is a beautifully run hotel with a restful and beautiful setting and ambience. The only negative is the sameness of the experience. Same breakfast menu and tired buffet. Ditto dinner in Orchids with a n uninteresting menu. However, La Mer is a 6 star experience. Wonderful from start to finish. Service,ambience,presentation all superb. A great dining experience. Tom and his pool staff are professional, friendly and very attentive. Cannot say enough good things about them Over all a great week .

Room Tip: High up and with a view of Diamond Head.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank BataviaMan1
Reviewed 30 December 2013

It's been almost two years since our stay at the Halekulani and just realized that haven't had a chance to post a review. We got married here in February 2012 and I have to say that the service from their Catering & Front Office team was fantastic. I never had to worry about anything - from the time we were making arrangements from Vancouver to the we checked out, everything was taken care of for us.

ROOMS - We had one of the corner suites and the view was amazing. I could just live there. The room was clean and the bathroom and closet was as big as the room itself! It definitely felt like paradise.

SPA - We enjoyed a spa in a couple's room which had a personal changing room/shower attached. It felt pretty luxurious.

RESTAURANT - A very romantic restaurant where the views were all breathtaking. One would be reminded of how beautiful a place Honolulu was and you can hear the sounds of the ocean. We tried their 5-course tasting menu and I was full by the third course. I was not sure if it was butterflies for my wedding next day or that the portions were very big! All in all, it was deilcious.

CATERING/BANQUETS - I cannot say enough of how friendly and professional the staff were to deal with during our planning process. Everything was what I imagined it to be. All our guests really enjoyed the atmosphere and said they enjoyed one of the best meals at a wedding.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple