Halekulani Hotel
US$218
US$418
US$332
  • Pool
Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa(Honolulu)
US$268
US$229
2,678 results
All reviewshouse without a keyla merhouse befitting heavenlewers loungecoconut cakefour seasonswaikiki beachdiamond headroom checkunderstated eleganceocean frontpool servicefive star hotelhawaiian musicour honeymoonconcierge staffturn down service
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Waikiki is a hot mess. Literally, its Vegas without the charm. However, if you're making a visit to Oahu and you want to be down in the thick of it without losing your mind. . .you simply have to stay at the Halekulani. Its an oasis of calm. As beautiful as it is comfortable, this hotel is true to itself despite the clamor of tourists and merchandising just outside its doors. If there is a better place to enjoy a sunset, I haven't found it.

The bars and restaurants are top notch. They are a credit to their brand and a the epitome of what a corporate food and beverage program should be. All their guests are on vacation and they want to spoil you. The concierge service is superb. I would trust Miss DeeDee Mikasa with my life. Don't make a move without her. We were headed over to Marine Corps Base Hawaii and she recommended some terrific foodie hot spots that were all very good. More importantly she helped us avoid some traps. Our favorite? Pah Ke's Chinese Restaurant in Kaneohe. Thanks so much to DeDe for saving us from the horrible Hilton Hawaiian Village.

Room Tip: As they are in the middle of a "refresh" I would suggest one of the recently upgraded rooms
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank duchamp_98
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I think Adrian's review is spot on regarding Halekulani's strong points, especially the superb staff. House Without a Key may be as close to perfection as you'll find anywhere at sunset. He's also correct about it's major (only?) weakness: some rooms are overdue for an upgrade.
As for his question about the Surf Rider, that property is louder and the service doesn't come near Halekulani. Halekulani's customer base is also different...maybe it's the dress code, which I truly appreciate.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank John F
Reviewed 6 February 2014 via mobile

After a journey that seemed to take days it was nice to walk into a environment where you relax immediately.
From the in room check in to the express early morning check-out the staff made everything painless.
I ate at the different restaurants
All, very different in style but, with the common factor of quality. The restaurant staff seem to have met everybody before in a different life. They remember all the details.
When I'm lucky enough to stay in Hawaii again then, it will be the only place I will be.!!!

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Cheekyjohn13
Reviewed 3 February 2014

The staff and service make this hotel a great one. Rooms make it only a good one. Don't get me wrong. We loved our stay at the Halekulani. For a first time to Hawaii visitor, this hotel and staff had ,and gave, more than i could ask for. But after the helpful check- in and the attendant to our room had opened our room door to show us around, the slight sigh of disappointment might have been obvious to all. To nail it on the head, it was just a little dated, furniture, bathroom etc. It wasn't the sort of room that you looked forward to returning to after a day or night out. Maybe I am being a little harsh, the room had all you could ask for. And a stunning view to boot. And the rest of the hotel shone very brightly. We were on the top floor, of an ocean view room (i think 1408),this gave us an exceptional sunset every night. But also an early morning alarm. As the closeness of the huge, overbearing Sheraton next door, ensured that no matter how high up you were, the noisy, 5.30am delivery trucks and their reversing beepers, delivering to the Sheraton woke you up! This didn't spoil our stay at the hotel. But it didn't give me the desire to award this hotel my top marks. Maybe another room( if it's been updated) in the other wings might have proved a better choice? But I am still going to recommend this hotel. Because the staff were exceptional, their manner and helpfulness should be rewarded. Also the rest of the hotel gave me complete satisfaction. Dinning, poolside- lunch and breakfast was a great service treat. Also a mention to the hotel concierge staff, whom in every hotel I visit ,I always ask for their recommendations. And the staff here didn't disappoint, they shone brightly, very helpful. Would I go back? I would if I knew the rooms had been updated. My wife? She want's to try the "Surf Rider". What do you think? And for a first time visitor to Hawaii, did I enjoy it? Well it wasn't quite what I expected, had the image of Maui, more in my mind. But yes I enjoyed it. Just like America, but on a small island is how my amazing wife described it...true!

Room Tip: Try and avoid a room near the next door, huge overpowering Sheraton.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Adrian M
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We took a group of clients to HNL for the Pro Bowl. It was our first extended stay on Oahu and the Halekulani made it memorable. Great welcoming staff, terrific, ocean view rooms. and a concierge staff that never failed to perform. And we really tested them !!
The on site restaurants were beautiful with open patio seating and ocean breezes to enjoy with any meal. I preferred the less formal 'House without a Key'. They have a fabulous roast pork hash to pair with eggs on the buffet line. We ate at Orchids on occasion but avoided the dressier La Mer. I'm sure it is very nice if you like 'Island Formal'
There is nothing you can do about the traffic in Honolulu but having the Halekulani to retire to makes it better.
The staff, once again , made the hotel even better. Friendly, informative, engaging...just what we would always hope for in a Hawaiian vacation.
I give the Halekulani 3 pineapples out of 3. It's where we will stay from now on........

Room Tip: get an ocean front villa...great ocean view
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business