“A breath of fresh air in Honolulu”
Review of Halekulani Hotel

Halekulani Hotel
Ranked #8 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 6 March 2014

This hotel has a calm grace, with delightful scents of flowers as you walk into it from the busy roads of Honolulu.
White is their colour, calm is their objective with attentive staff, best public washrooms that offer a sound of the sea as you pee!
The flowing breezy hotel has smiling well trained staff, with an attention for detail.
The restaurant, "House with no Key" has an amazing buffet/brunch on Sunday.
On the ocean, with no access for the a walker to walk in from the beach.
This is a hotel for dress up, not for a loud party scene.
Every table, every day, had fresh flowers.
Get what you pay for, if you want to have an energizing, relaxing, gracious holiday by the pool.
For the well behaved only, or if you want to soak up a sleepy week sitting, drinking, swimming, eating, attend a nightly show under the stars, and a spa.
Lovely, and lets hope it stays that way.

Room Tip: Go for the best room. We did not stay there, but family attended a wedding in the fall, and said go...
3  Thank oceanspray726
Write a ReviewReviews (2,594)

Reviewed 5 March 2014

I wrote a glowing review in 2006 and have returned four times since then, and I always considered the Halekulani the best in Waikiki; until now. My recent stay was marred by a front desk that did not deliver and the insane number of weddings overrunning the resort.

I booked thru the AMEX fine hotels program. One amenity is early check in. I was arriving at 2 pm and was transported by Hotel limo. I wanted to hit the ground running so I requested the moderately early check in and repeated my request when booked the hotel car.

When I arrived I was not greeted and led to the front desk as I always had before.
The desk clerk did not greet me as a repeat returning guest, was not particularly welcoming and informed me that no upgrade was available (fine they are based on availability) but the kicker was my room was not ready either. Frankly for a hotel with the motto "For you everything" it seemed more like "For you nothing"

For a hotel that calls itself the best to say no to an arriving guest twice at check is truly sloppy. Particularly when you are supposedly offering them as part of a AMEX program. 2 pm check is too much for the Halekulani ,wow, how the mighty have fallen When I did finally get my room I could not help notice is was the worst location (farthest back from beach in the Diamond Head View category booked. I would rate the entire check in experience as terrible.

Additionally the weddings were everywhere at all hours. One could not help being surrounded by picture taking sessions. I got bumped off the bench at 7:30 a.m. in the porte-cochere by wedding party picture taking.

While having dinner at Orchids we were seated outside with a lovely view across the lawn to Diamond head. Suddenly all the tables behind us were pushed together and a Wedding Cake , tables, flowers ect. were set up on the lawn in front where our view used to be. . We now had a cake cutting shoot directly In front of our table and tables full of guests all around us. Even our waiter looked a little embarrassed by the sudden instant wedding party of which we were now in the center. I was like a scene in a Fellini Movie. Our waiter however was excellent.

It is clear to me that the wedding machine is out of control here and takes priority over other guests. I have been to Hawaii many times and I know weddings are like palm trees--everywhere. But this was out of line.

The rest of my stay was the typical Halekulani perfection, Their food is still the best. But overall they have fallen behind the top competition. There was cool competence but no aloha.

I extended my stay in Waikiki but did not remain at the Halekulani. I hate to say it but I found a better view, better grounds, more aloha, better room and better dedication to customer service at that Pink Palace down the beach. Not to mention a much fairer price. And not once did I have to move to make way for a pop-up wedding.

I guess not even the venerable Halekulani can not stay the same. My terrible reception, crowded wedding party atmosphere, and the lack of any special concern by the staff for customer satisfaction makes this my final stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
22  Thank billyar
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Ahhh... Perfect Valentine's Day staycation at the Halekulani! We were treated like royalty from the moment we arrived and when we saw our room and view it took our breath away. Even though we live in Honolulu and look at Diamond Head everyday, the sight of the ocean with the crater as a backdrop was jaw-dropping. The room itself was the epitome of pampering- fresh papaya, chocolate and champagne on arrival, luxurious and plentiful bath products, and 2 bathrooms. Dinner at the House Without a Key, drinks and jazz at Lewer's Lounge... This was a dream 2 days with the late checkout and we will definitely be back!

1  Thank 808Adventurer
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We selected the Halekulani for our 4-night Honolulu stay even though our good friends, who are frequent Waikiki visitors, recommended the Royal Hawaiian. We were so glad we selected the Halekulani. It's classy and serene; the service is excellent. The outdoor bar with its three piece Hawaiian combo was lovely and a perfect spot to watch the fabulous sunset. You could actually get a lounge chair at the pool--it was not overrun with people. Loved it. We did book a room with a Diamondhead view (based on Trip Advisor reviews), and it was so worth it! Before we left, we had drinks at the Royal Hawaiian beach bar. You're in the middle of the beach hub bub. The service and background music was very bar like. A bar patron needed another chair, snagged one, and then carried it over his head to his table. Nice (not).

Room Tip: High floor, Diamondhead view
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Takemeaway1220
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Do you want to be treated like a Royal King or Queen? Well, stay at the Halekunai Hotel. The place is awesome. Great Great Welcome! Immaculately Clean Environment, Excellent Service, the Staff goes an extra mile beyond their call of duty to please their guest.They spoil you with all they can do to make your visit fabulous.They have excellent rooms. It was a heavenly environment. 100% A+ +rating. The room service,household,staff and all others were highly trained in Ultra Customer Service Skills. Wow! Keep up the very superb service you perform. The Restaurant was very,very, excellent in their performance of their tasks to their customers. I attended a Wedding Reception for my Nephew and His New Bride. The food was excellent the Lobster Bisque was the best I have ever tasted. The whole menu was served beyond "C'est magnifique". The Chef was beyond fantastic. The best Chef who has ever prepared food for " A Wedding Reception".Yes, we dined in a "Royal Fashion". Thank You for your High Excellency of Service as the Head Chef and your Staff prepared for an awesome job way beyond the call of duty. Mahalo! Thank you for the Manger and Staff for a Superb Performance to make this Special Day Fantastic. Mahalo ! Again. As a Party Planner my observations of your work is A+ !00% +. I will surely recommend "Halekunai " to other Prospective Customers. Your "Staff" deserves Incentives for their fabulous hard work in pleasing customers.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank adeianna
Reviewed 28 February 2014

We had the pleasure of staying at the Halekulani for 2 nights in a great suite overlooking Diamond Head. From arrival to departure we had the feeling of being sincerely welcome by all Associates - La Mer, is still the best fine Dining Restaurant, Orchids was great for Breakfast and Dinner, and the Mai Tais at the Pool are awesome - Lewers Lounge is a great place to end a day.

One can observe the flawless service and Alex, Alwin, Shawn at La Mer and Pamela (27 years at the Hotel) are doing their very best to assure that service is impeccable and that customers leave - to return whenever possible

Room Tip: Try to get a room with Diamond Head view or a sunset view, but also the courtyard rooms are great
1  Thank hotelier2510
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We had six days in this heaven,amazing staff, best food in Waikiki excellent rooms.
We are returning in December for 10 days .
This is with out doubt the best in Waikiki.
No 8 mile crowd as you see at other beach front hotels, no out of control children.
Nicely dressed pleasant polite people staying in the Hotel , many who come every year.

Room Tip: book early
2  Thank JACK C