“Luxury and paradise - a gem on Waikiki Beach”
Review of Halekulani Hotel

Halekulani Hotel
Ranked #8 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Montgomery, Pennsylvania
“Luxury and paradise - a gem on Waikiki Beach”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

My friend, myself and our daughters had an opportunity to spend 3 nights at the Halekulani. It is quite honestly the most elegant and well-designed hotel ever. The rooms are slightly small and definitely built for 2, but they cram so many amenities in those rooms, that you almost don't notice the somewhat smaller space. All of the public spaces, restaurants, shops fit the elegant but non-pretentious feel of the hotel. It is high priced compared to other hotels nearby, but worth it for a few days for once in a lifetime pampering.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank kaneira

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This hotel is an oasis on the crazy busy strip of Waikiki Beach. Once you step into the lobby, it is peaceful and beautiful. The service is excellent. Our room was a Diamond Suite, 7th floor, great view and very clean and spacious. Restaurants are wonderful, and its a good thing to be able to skip the crappy Cheesecake Factory and PF Changs options outside. The pool is great, and its a good thing because the only draw back is the lack of beach. The strip has plenty, but it is crowded and noisy. Not my thing.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Luckybay2014
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Halekulani truly lives up to its Hawaiian name - "house befitting heaven". From the moment you check in to the moment the valet staff wave you off, you truly feel like you've stayed in paradise. The hotel's service is truly exceptional - every staff member greets you by name and no detail is too small or insignificant. Every night, there was a surprise little gift with the turn down and bottled water is constantly replenished in the small in-room fridge. My husband and sons forgot their shaving toiletries so a whole week's supply, complimentary, was sent up to our rooms minutes after we asked about it. The rooms are spacious and beautifully appointed and SO clean. The bathrooms are supplied with just about everything you would need on vacation. The pool area is beautiful and around noon everyday, staff come around with complimentary nibbles for all guests lounging in the pool area. There is also a larger cooler of flavored water and sunscreen for the guests. The location is perfect and everything seems within walking distance. We also booked surfing lessons through the hotel with the Ty Gurney Surf school. The instructors waited for my kids at the hotel's beach and started lessons right there. The Sunday brunch at the hotel's Orchids restaurant is one of the best we experienced, anywhere. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Loropiana44
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

The Halukalani, where I'm currently staying, is delightful. The service is incredible, I mean they don't have ice machines because they don't approve of anything self service. The staff quite friendly and very attentive to any request you may have. I could go for an hour, but I'd rather go to the beach now! Highly recommend.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Aj R
Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Enjoyed our 6th stay. Buffet breakfast at House without a Key is very good; dinner at Orchids was excellent. Service throughout the hotel is its trademark and remains excellent.
The Manager's Reception on Wed. evening has substantially declined in quality over the years.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kobekuma
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We just returned from a stay at the Halekulani - our second stay. We loved it, again! Service is excellent, and I am not sure they do it but the hotel manages to keep the real hustle and bustle of Waikiki at bay. The hotel is quiet. Of course, there is a more mature guest usually staying at the hotel - not a bunch of party animals, but I noticed many families and younger couples like my husband and I. We were celebrating my husband's birthday and without fail, every staff member at breakfast, the pool, drinks, dinner, etc said happy birthday to my husband. It was a nice touch! I would not stay anywhere else than at the Halekulani when staying on Waikiki.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jane Y
Sydney
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Overall, I would say this hotel was a disappointment. I had always wanted to stay at the Halekulani and had heard many favourable reports of the supposedly legendary service. Initially I was impressed because an email was sent to me a few weeks before my trip requesting various particulars to help staff get to know me better. I was also asked to provide my arrival time. So when I arrived at the hotel at approximately 8pm there was not a porter in sight. We got out of our car and made our own way to the lobby carrying numerous suitcases up the steps. Eventually a porter arrived but only offered to help me (maybe because I am a women, the guys didn't get a look in). Definitely not a pleasant first impression. Check in was not really friendly and more perfunctory. They were quite disorganised...and asked a few times for our names. My friends were in the tower directly behind reception whereas I was in another tower and was only told to walk down the hallway and turn left. Eventually I found where I was meant to go but was disappointed in the lack of personal service. When I got into my room I was a bit disappointed. I know the hotel had recently been refurbished but I couldn't believe that this tired looking room was the refurbished room. Some pros include that the room size itself was quite big with a king bed and a small sofa, very comfortable bed and lovely sheets, balcony was a very good size and I had a beautiful view of the ocean. Some cons in terms of the room were that the bathroom only had a single sink with limited space for toiletries, bath was deep but not long so definitely not one to linger in and the shower was very compact and water pressure not very strong. I also found it difficult to work the tv. One other negative was that the lights went on automatically in ether cupboard but took a while to turn off when the doors were closed which was annoying when I wanted to go to sleep.

In terms of the restaurants I was not able to get an evening drink at House Without a Key in the three nights I was there as it was packed by the time I got there at around 630pm. There was a queue of about twenty people one night and I was told I could go across the road for a drink. That was pretty disappointing given I was a hotel guest that I couldn't even get a drink in the hotel I was staying at. The buffet breakfast I found disappointing and limited in variety. Certainly not up to five star standard.

Hotel staff did not go out of their way to assist and seemed uninterested. Concierge and front desk staff were particularly disappointing.

The public areas being were beautiful and smelt incredible - very fresh - and there was a beautiful breeze. Location was great in terms of shopping as it as near Lewers Street and the main shopping street. In terms of beach, although the hotel is ocean front there was not really any beach in don't of the hotel. The pool looked quite beautiful though.

Guests should note that there is a dress code enforced throughout this hotel particularly in here evenings, this didn't bother me as I love to get dressed up.

In summary, I would not stay at the Halekulani again as I do not think it represents good value for $500+ a night for a standard room. Comparing other hotels in Waikiki that I have stayed at, I would say Trump has far better service, but lacks the ambience of the Halekulani but the Surfrider beats both hands down. It has a better position on the beach compared to the Halekulani and has a more relaxed vibe plus I never got turned away from the Beach Bar because it was full.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business