“Great value for money”

DoubleTree by Hilton Alana - Waikiki Beach
Ranked #42 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 25 August 2011

We stayed at the Doubletree for 1 night upon our arrival in Hawaii last week as we could not check in to the Hilton Hawaiian Village until the next day. The rooms are very spacious, the bathroom and shower is one of the best I have seen for a hotel of this rating/price. After our numerous dilemmas at the Hilton Hawaiian Village I wish we had of stayed at the Doubletree, which was way cheaper very close to the HHV!

Great hotel - recommend you stay here if you are staying in Waikiki, and are willing to pay more than "budget". This would be what's considered to a mid-range priced hotel. Sure it doesn't have the fancy resort or pools like the HHV, but the beach is not far away and FREE!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank miss76wa
DoubletreeAlana, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Alana - Waikiki Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2011

Aloha and thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Alana Waikiki. We are very pleased with the outcome of our extensive and full renovation of the guest rooms and hotel facilities. This has enabled us to provide our guests with a memorable product along with a high level of service. Thank you for recommending our hotel and identifying the value that we offer to our guests. We hope to have you stay with us again in the near future. Mahalo.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,654)

Reviewed 20 August 2011

We recently moved to Oahu courtesy of the USAF and this hotel has been our home for five weeks. We initially booked here because it was the only hotel that could accommodate us and our dog. However, I am so grateful nothing else was available! Staying here has been a treat.

The staff is wonderful and responsive and caring. They know our entire family and ask about our day (my children have started school while we're living in the hotel); they are great to the dog; they know what we want for breakfast before we even ask. They truly anticipate our needs.

Breakfast is very pricey here ($13 for continental and $6 to add on eggs/bacon/omelette) but if you're a HHonors member, you can get a voucher for a free continental breakfast. The breakfast staff is great and the made-to-order omelettes are worth the extra $6. If you don't want to eat at the hotel, Cheeseburger Waikiki has a $5.99 breakfast and Wailana Coffeehouse has reasonably priced food. There's also a McDonald's within a few blocks.

The pool is a nice feature when you don't want to walk to the beach and we use the well-equipped workout room regularly. The views from our room are incredible and the balcony is a great place to spend some time with a glass of wine and a book after a long day.

There are several restaurants very close, including Cheeseburger Waikiki and the Wailana Coffeehouse. The beach is a short walk away; thankfully, the beaches at this end of Waikiki are wide and less crowded than further down in the middle of Waikiki proper. And there's food available at the Hale Koa resort snack bar for reasonable prices. (They also have the "best Mai Tais on Oahu" according to their advertising.)

There's a park right across the street from the hotel for dog-walking and for bored kids who need to run (Fort DeRussy Military Recreation Area). Ala Moana Park is not far away and has both beach and walking/running paths. Ala Moana Center is an 8-minute walk away and has a ridiculous number of stores and restaurants. Wal-Mart is about 15 minutes away by foot and has plenty of parking if you want to drive.

If you have a car, parking is really expensive at the hotel: $27 per night valet only. If you're military, you can park for $90 a month across the park at the Hale Koa parking garage. Even if you're only staying a week, it's worth it. Hale Koa also has public parking but I don't know the cost.

I read some not-so-positive reviews of this hotel prior to its recent renovation and I can say without reservation that we have had no problems here at all. Everything is beautiful and clean and new. It has been a pleasure to stay here! We will miss our Home Away from Home when we leave!

Room Tip: The higher up you are, the more you can see.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank MikMackMom

Aloha, thank you so much for taking the time to provide us and future guests with feedback regarding your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Alana Waikiki. It is great to know that our staff was able to anticipate you and your family’s needs while at the same time providing a high level of courteous service. We are indeed a pet friendly hotel and one of the very few in the area; therefore we do attract many guests and their pets. As you talked about the price for breakfast-it is a great incentive to become a Hilton Honors member and work your way up to those complimentary breakfasts and upgrades to a Full American breakfast for $6. For future guests of the DoubleTree or any other Hilton Family of Hotels, feel free to inquire about becoming a Hilton Honors member and begin enjoying all of its rewards. As for the price for our valet parking, we like to remain competitive with the non-government properties in the vicinity. Thank you again for pointing out the benefits of our location and proximity to everything, the Ala Moana Center, Fort DeRussy, the beach and Waikiki strip are all within close walking distance.
Once again, thank you for your comments. We are proud that we were able to give you that “Home away from Home” experience during your stay and we hope to do the same again in the near future. Mahalo nui loa.

Reviewed 15 August 2011

I stayed the weekend of August 12 thru August 14. The room size seemed to be on the smaller side for Waikiki. I had a King bed and couch in my room. I could not imagine having two beds crammed into the room. The bathroom was nice but kind of tiny also. The shower was extremely small but it had great water pressure. there was no space in the shower to put things, so I had to keep my shampoo, conditioner and bodywash on the floor of the shower. It was tough having to bend down and pick things up because the shower was so small and it flooded a bit after every shower. I got a lousy view of a parking lot so I did not spend much time on my balcony. The hotel is no where near the ocean and is on a pretty busy street so do not stay here if you are looking for a good view. One thing that really irritated me is the internet. When I booked my room, it mentioned there was high speed internet available in the rooms. When I got to the hotel I found out that you had to pay $10 for 24 hours of internet use. They have free internet in the lobby but the last thing I wanted to do was lug my laptop and charger downstairs. I thought the valet guys were great, very fast and friendly. The staff at the front desk are wonderful and helpfull as well. I did not eat at any of the restaurants so I cannot give any kind review on that. I was going to order room service one evening but the menu was quite small and a little expensive so I decided against it. Overall, for the cheap rate I recieved, I would definantly stay again. I would not pay any more than what I was charged though.

Room Tip: I originally wanted to upgrade to a suite but there were none available. I was then given a
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
DoubletreeAlana, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Alana - Waikiki Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2011

Aloha and mahalo so much for taking the time to provide us with feedback from your recent stay. We are extremely pleased that our staff was able to provide you with such a satisfying and memorable experience. Service is something we pride ourselves on at the DoubleTree by Hilton Alana Waikiki, and being able to please our guest is of the utmost priority. We are a smaller boutique hotel and through our investment of 16 million dollars, we did increase the size of the bathrooms in half of our guest rooms, and the other half we included more features in the living space. We are not situated on the Waikiki beachfront however our location is in close proximity to all of the necessities and gives you a change of pace to the busy Waikiki strip. Our internet is something that we are currently addressing and hope to be improving in the near future.

Thank you again for your stay and your comments, and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 6 August 2011

Spent two weeks at the Alana Waikiki in July; unfortunately for business. The hotel was very nice; the staff very friendly and professional and the price was good for Waikiki. The restaurant was being renovated, but the Alana Bistro was open with a free continental breakfast. I ate diner there one night and it was very good. The only drawback was entryway. It was very narrow and if there was more than two cars waiting for the valet you had to wait on the street to enter. Also, a couple of days they were painting the facade which made it even more difficult to get in. Otherwise it was a very pleasant stay and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 August 2011

We stayed here for one evening prior to departing on a cruise with NCL. We came early to experience a bit of the city. Our hotel room was on the 16th floor - we had two other rooms in the family, one on the 12th, one on the 14th. Seeing that we had reservations as a family and had asked to be somewhat near each other, this was peculiar. Our room had a pretty lovely view of Honolulu and a balcony. My husband and I (we were sharing a room with my sister in law who was asleep) spent about an hour and a half in the evening on the balcony watching the city. The hotel's location is pretty close - walking distance for us - to everything, but it definitely was not walking distance for my husband's grandparents who we were also traveling with. For a younger couple, this was just perfect though. There are also a couple of good restaurants/places within the block - we got a drink at the restaurant next door before retiring. The room itself was clean. The shower was a pain as it got water EVERYWHERE and was pretty bad as I was the third one to take a shower. The bed was a little uncomfortable on our side - we kept sinking towards the middle which is highly unusual for us. But nothing too bad. All of the amenities are nice, and in general, we enjoyed it. I would go back again, but I would believe there are better hotels. At the time, they were renovating some things so the price was slightly lower because of this.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank kitkatherine
Reviewed 24 July 2011

I had purchased a complimentary night's hotel stay from the Windward Community College Ho'olaule'a silent auction last year, and we finally decided to use it this month. My boyfriend had paid $160 for it, which was half of what they claimed the ocean view room was worth per night. Of course, we found out they only had valet parking and it was $27/night, so we decided to get dropped off. When we checked in, the customer service we received was friendly and professional--they also gave us warm chocolate chip macadamia nut cookies and then we went off to our corner room. It faced up the Ala Moana Boulevard toward the shopping center, so the view wasn't that great. There was also construction going on across the street, but they can't control that...My main issue was the fact that our "ocean view" included 2 small strips of ocean on the horizon because the hotel is a few blocks from the beach. The room, on the other hand, was recently renovated, so it was pretty nice. It had a contemporary feel to it. By the way, they charge $10/day to use their internet service. We thought about ordering room service, but they didn't have many choices and it was only available for breakfast. In any case, overall, we enjoyed a relaxing night's stay, but I don't think it would be worth it to come here again, even at 1/2 the valued price because you could get a better deal (with a better view) elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank iceskater48
Reviewed 28 June 2011

This hotel is in a good location for people who want to explore the island of Oahu. Not real good for the handicapped tho. Bus stops are a bit of a walk from the hotel. Rooms are nice with lots of storage space but little room to move around. We had 4 people with 2 beds and 2 walkers and it was hard to move around. Bathroom was very small and had no shelves or such to put toiletries.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family