“Doubletree - Your standard business hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Alana - Waikiki Beach

DoubleTree by Hilton Alana - Waikiki Beach
Ranked #48 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
St. Louis, MO
“Doubletree - Your standard business hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

Now, I have to begin this review with a disclaimer: my husband and I had enough Hilton Honors points to get us our room for free for 3 nights. So, I cannot really give a fair review in terms of value because, for us, it was a very good value!

The Doubletree in Waikiki is your standard business hotel. I believe this to be an older hotel with recently updated rooms as the rooms were smaller than your typical American hotel room these days. The room was well-appointed with your typical Hilton decorations. We had 2 standard beds, a desk and chair, a dresser and flat-screen TV. There was a bench with drawers to provide additional storage. The closet was built into the wall with cabinetry which provided a European feel and was a good use of space in this otherwise smallish room. I think the best thing about Hilton properties are the beds. I find them to be super comfy!

The bathroom was small but also efficient. Doubletree provided the standard soap, shampoo, conditioner and lotion. A hair dryer was available in the room. The towels were thick and fluffy.

I do believe there was a safe provided in the room.

Overall, our room was very clean and the hotel generally quiet. The front desk staff didn't go out of their way to greet you like at other Hilton properties I've visited, but they were helpful and happy to mail our postcards for us. The valet staff were VERY nice and helpful. They arranged our airport shuttle for us quickly and were happy to flag a cab. This property also participates in the Green Car program where you can rent a hybrid car for $15/hour or $95/day. We didn't take advantage of this service, but I liked the idea, especially in Honolulu where having a car isn't a necessity but it could make your commute to see some of the sights a tad quicker.

We felt the hotel was very conveniently located with plenty of restaurants within walking distance and bus stops close by. There is an ABC Store just around the corner...a small pharmacy-type store basically across the street...and an International House of Pancakes within walking distance to grab a cheaper-than-the-hotel breakfast. The walk to the main part of Waikiki is several blocks long, but the weather is so awesome in Hawaii that who wouldn't want to take a stroll? And, the hotel is near Fort Debussy Park which is nice to stroll through and has great beach access.

I have two complaints, and these are pretty standard for me with most properties: 1) Eating on-site is EXPENSIVE and the food isn't that special. We ate at the breakfast buffet our first morning in Honolulu and spent $57 for 2 buffets and the tip! The buffet was your standard American and continental breakfast fare, with some local favorites like Portuguese sausage and rice thrown in. Is $57 worth the chef they keep on hand to make an omelet for you? Not in my opinion. 2) We ladies would like to have a magnifying mirror, preferably lighted, in order to take care of our beauty needs. This wouldn't be that hard to provide, nor that expensive. I have found one hotel that provided a magnifying mirror. I was so excited! Come on Hilton! With your nicely appointed, want-to-feel-like-a-boutique-hotel rooms, a magnifying mirror would really add to to your customers' comfort!

All in all, there is nothing horribly wrong with this property. Would I recommend it for a romantic honeymoon? No. Would I recommend it for business travel? Yes. Was it worth the Hilton Honors points? Well...that depends. But, given that hotel rooms in Honolulu usually start around $200, it worked for us. Just don't expect anything special...cozy...boutique-y...but you are staying in Waikiki within walking distance of all of the shopping and beaches. You could do much worse!

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views but don't expect that if you receive a free room.
3 Thank Chompypf

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Ogallala, Nebraska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

We were at the Double Tree in Honolulu, Hawaii from Feb 1 to Feb 22 then again Feb 29th. Had lovely mountain view from 17th floor the first stay. On the 29th we were on 5th floor all we had for a view was the back side of a crappy apt. building and parking lot. They did get us in a room before check in time though so didn't complain. For the most part the room was fine, the corners needed a little better cleaning. The maids didn't dump the ice bucket daily so finally left a note for them to dump the ice bucket daily. Had to leave a note to keep enough towels for our use. Was a hole in sheet which isn't Hiton standards, called and told them about it. Changed it the next day but a few days later had it back on the other bed...figure out how that happened. If you stay here the Coffee House about a block and a half west is and EXCELLENT place to eat. Large selection on menu and get a LOT of food and the prices are reasonable. The front desk people were always very good about giving us information. One day they had the water shut off for maintance said there would be bottled water at front desk. I went to get some water there was three of us and they would only give me one bottle of water. They do let you print your plane tickets for free but charge $9.95 per day for internet service in your room and a $1.00 per call if you local calls from their telephone in the room....think that is a bit much. Elevators are small with wheel chair three of us in the elevator filled it up pretty good. Over all it was a good place to stay and would recommend it to anyone looking for a place to stay in Honolulu. Just make sure you get above the apt. view as it isn't a nice view at all. There is a laudramat across the street so that was handy. No laundry facility at the motel unless you want to pay them to have your laundry done.....very expensive.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor then 5 if you chose the mountain view don't know that below 17 would be very...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

Do not stay at this hotel, roaches, bad service, I order a cheese plate and the crackers were saltines and ritz crackers. Both nights I stayed there were roaches in the bathroom, I complained to the front desk staff and got no where....The manager refused to refund any monies for such a horrible stay. I am a Hilton Honors member and complained to Hilton.com, which I have never done...this hotel is terrible on every level.
After several emails, and calls management still did not handle to my satisfaction.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
4 Thank lisagbaxter
AlanaGuestServices, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Alana - Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, 1 June 2012
Aloha Lisa and thank you for your review. We are sorry that your cheese platter didn't meet your expectations. We, here at the Doubletree by Hilton Alana, want to service fresh and tasty dishes with the caring touches of home. We work continually to improve our menu offerings, and your commetns will help us improve. We sincerely apologize for and appreciate that you brought the issues of roaches in the bathroom to our attention. Our pest control company has addressed the situation. We hope that you'll consider staying with us again if you return to Waikiki and experience the rewarding traveling experience that we want to to provide our guests.

Mahalo,
The Doubletree by Hilton Alana Ohana
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

Nice reno, good service, and relatively clean.

Note - we had to change rooms (no problem w/front desk) - the x22 series rooms are a bit cramped, but front desk was more than happy to accommodate a move; including moving our luggage to the new room while we were out & about (awesome!)

Location is conveniently located near the Hilton Hawaiian Village, with easy access to the beach and the Wailana Coffee House.

Room Tip: Ask for an extra pillow(s) on check-in, the room pillows turn into pancakes.
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

The "newly" renovated hotel makes an ideal location for shopping, being between Ala Moana Center and the shopping are of Waikiki. Friendly staff and being a small size hotel luggage assistance is prompt. Bathrooms one of the best around with walk-in glass showers with oversized "rain" shower-heads. Comfortable rooms and accommodations, would highly recommend this small friendly hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms have balcony, and try for the upgraded larger rooms at check-in, all rooms are city views...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank GJB21456
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

Very friendly staff, and nice rooms. No view really, but quiet rooms with good service. Great bell services and valet. Only negative, bathrooms are small. Has been remodeled over the past year or two. Much improved.

Have stayed here several times, and will continue to do so. Not the Hilton Village, but cheaper and a good stay.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Warfield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

I've stayed at the HHV a few times, and have often walked past the DT and wondered what it'd be like to stay there ... it's certainly cheaper.
Well I'm here right now and I am very impressed. Location wise it's 1 block from the Kalia Tower at HHV. Rooms are nice, I understand that it's been recently refurbished, which no doubt makes the rooms a pleasant place to be. Bathroom is a little small, but the walk-in shower is excellent. I wonder if they could have made the bathrooms a little bigger when they refurbished?
As a Diamond I got a high floor, free Wi-Fi (which I'm using now - it's fine) and free continental breakfast ... however, given that there's the excellent Wailana Coffee House, an IHOP, a Denny's and other breakfast places very close by I wouldn't pay for breakfast here ($16), or even the $9 uplift for hot breakfast.
There's traffic noise when the doors is open or when sitting on the balcony, but I quite like the buzz from the city. Quiet with the door closed though. I can just about see Diamond Head from the balcony (over the top of the Waikiki hotels) ... so called mountain view.
Air conditioning is also very good and really quiet.
I like this place, I'll be checking the prices here for my next visit.

6 Thank LordBofW