“Low value for price”

DoubleTree by Hilton Alana - Waikiki Beach
Ranked #46 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 29 September 2008

We (husband, pre-teen daughter and I) stayed 5 nights while my husband was on business. On the weekends on either end of the trip, we stayed at the Ilima (see my review of that property) for half the price and a bigger room, so I'd recommend the Ilima over the Doubletree any day. However, the room was nice, if not spacious, and the beds were comfortable. My big complaint was the bathroom, which smelled dank. The smell turned out to be because the just-bigger-than-a-phone-booth sized shower had a curtain which was 3" too small on each side, so it was impossible to shower without flooding the floor and getting the outer curtain wet, which then smelled. A bathroom exhaust fan would have been a wonderful thing, because our swimsuits and beach towels never dried overnight (adding to the funk), even using the handy retractable clothesline in the shower. The mini-fridge was a nice thing to have. Our daughter thought the fourth-floor outdoor pool was novel, if small, until she realized how very chlorinated it was. She took a long shower afterward trying to get all the chlorine washed off. The valet-only parking just makes the cost-to-value worse. My husband discovered that if he took his laptop down to the lobby, where there was free wireless, then he could continue to get the free wireless in the room for the day. Overall, there are better places to stay, but the property could solve a lot of my issues simply by having shower curtains that actually fit the opening. Since I know I'm not the first TA reviewer to note this problem, and the Doubletree is not exactly a low-budget hotel, it seems like they would fix it.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
3  Thank AnonVirginia

Reviewed 21 September 2008

My husband I just returned from our vacation in Hawaii. I work for the Hilton Hotel system so my review is pretty particular when it comes to cleanliness and the attitudes of the staff. I believe the staff & the cleanliness of the hotel can make or break your stay. Anyway, here's my opinion.... The hotel is slightly above average. I say slightly because the hotel was just a hotel. An average size room, a bathroom, and an older style TV (no LCD screens here). It had a balcony that overlooked the mountains & the city, and the lighting was nice. We had a large closet, a fridge, & a safe in the room. The room was extremely clean, and although we didn't use the housekeeping service the entire stay, the housekeeping workers were always on our floor and always friendly. There are 4 things that weren't satisfactory in our room. The air conditioner couldn't be turned down past 70 degrees. I understand that Hawaii is trying to conserve electricity, but it was definitely hot on the 15th floor when you were trying to sleep. Also, our room faced the mountains & city. It was pretty loud at night because of the main street (kalakua avenue) that people constantly cruise at night. Sometimes it sounded like the police sirens were outside of our window! Another complaint is the ridiculous bathtub/shower. I read all the previous reviews about the "furo" asian soaking tub, but I seriously laughed out loud when I saw this thing. To take a bath/soak, you would have to sit Indian Style. It was pretty humorous. We took showers the whole week, but you can forget about 2 people fitting in this tub/shower thing together! haha. The last complaint is the parking. We rented a car, and paid more to park the thing at the hotel than it was to rent it! This hotel is not located in the middle of Waikiki, it's actually on the outskirts, so why is parking so ridiculous? It was 25.00 a day to park, PLUS TAX! I actually work valet & front desk at a Hilton hotel, and wow I have never heard of tax being charged on the parking... oh well. (Hawaii tax is pretty cheap but still). The valets were not very helpful & some of them were pretty rude. They didn't open the doors to help out, they didn't offer directions, and they didn't thank us for staying there. They didn't even put my 2 very large suitcases in the car... my husband had to do it. Please make sure you tip these valets for the service they give you, not because you are supposed to. Anyway, now for the good parts. The check-in was smooth, the front desk people were very helpful & knowledgeable, the cookies they give you at check-in were pretty great! The area is pretty good, to the left of the hotel is a couple restaurants including Tony Roma's & Cheeseburger Waikiki (both very good) around the left of the hotel is a Subway, and an ABC store. The hotel is on Kalakua & Ala Moana (2 main roads in the Waikiki area) and within walking distance of ALOT of fancy stores & great eats! The hotel also has a martini lounge & restaurant.... didn't eat there, but it looked pretty nice. The hotel wasn't fancy, but it was sufficient for what we needed it for. It was about a 10 minute walk to the beach, and many times we just walked over to the Hilton Hawaiian Village and used their beach, lagoon, and pool..... these were VERY nice. I highly recommend you using their facilities. The Doubletree's pool is heated (which is a plus because the ocean is FREEZING!) and it goes up to 6 feet deep. The pool at the hotel was never crowded because many people head over to the Hilton Hawaiian Village. The fitness center looked extremely nice here in the hotel though. The concierge wasn't very helpful, we asked about tours and what we should go & eat while we were in town, and he handed us a book of all of the islands, that's all. Didn't recommend anything, just gave us a book. We had a late flight on the day we were due to check out, and the manager allowed us to stay all day for a $40 charge... very nice & helpful. The 12:00 check out time wasn't long enough for us... our plane was due to leave at 10:10pm. We were able to go to the beach all day, then shower before we had to get on the long flight back to Indiana. Overrall, the hotel was a little above average, and they definitely have the room for improvement. I wouldn't pay more than $150 a night for it, but the front desk staff is nice. More advice----get an entertainment book for the area! Let me know if you have any more questions.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
3  Thank lpickerrell
Reviewed 21 July 2008

I was here chaperoning a soccer team for a tournament. The rooms were adequate--we had 4 teenage girls to a room. The staff was helpful and accommodating to our needs and were always friendly. The continental breakfast was generous and tasty, and not bad at the price.

The location wasn't bad-there were restaurants and convenience stores nearby, and it was a short walk to the beach. There is a park across the street that we used to practice and a laundry around the corner.

The negatives, for me, were the need to valet park (although we got a price break, it was still expensive and inconvenient), and the fact that my room's view was another building.

That being said, this is not a resort hotel, so don't expect fancy rooms or a lavish pool. Considering that we only spent time at the hotel mostly sleeping and eating, it worked well for us.

• Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed 5 July 2008

My cousin booked this hotel for me and this hotel was centrally located and within walking distance to Waikiki and Ala Moana. My room is on the 5th floor and is a suite and the pool is just below the balcony so it is very noisy when peoples are playing around the pool. Also, there is a construction on the mezzanine floor, and they start working at 9:00 am. The room is OK without any view. However, they do not have parking lot, ONLY valet parking. I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights and thanks for the previous reviews, I request no newspaper send to my room so it save me some $$. I would probably book Ala Moana Hotel next time since it is about the same price.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2008

We spent one night at the Doubletree before embarking on a Navy Tiger Cruise aboard the USS Nimitz. The hotel was reasonably priced compared to others in the area but it was uninspiring, seemed very old and outdated. There is an apartment building next door and some questionable activity at all hours of the night. The area seemed safe but a bit seedy. We walked to the beach and spent some time at the Hilton Hawaiian Village-very nice. I would probably recommend spending a little more and staying at the Hilton.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DancingNancys
Reviewed 23 May 2008

This hotel was centrally located and within walking distance to everything in town. The rooms were ok...my room flooded and ruined some of my luggage and shoes; However the manager met with me and ask me what would compensate me. I stated a weeks stay for next year and he abliged!!!
Staff was very nice and frendly and valet parking was great!

Rooms were very basic and nothing was fancy or ultra dirty that stood out about the rooms...they were just average....switch rooms until you are satisfied!

• Stayed: February 2006
Reviewed 23 April 2008

If you are a business traveler looking for a central location than maybe this hotel works..... Otherwise keep on looking you will be extreamly dissapointed. The hotel is extreamly outdated, the rooms are small, the view is not good unless you came to hawaii to look at other buildings. The parking at the hotel is 20 dollars per day that IS NOT inluded with the room. The workout facility only has one eliptical, one bike and one treadmill all in horrible shape. The pool is tiny and has very minimal space around it for seating. Over all I would not reccomend this hotel. The only positive thing I can say is the staff is extreamly nice.

Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple