“Very good”

DoubleTree by Hilton Alana - Waikiki Beach
Ranked #43 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Staff friendly and very helpful. Good quality rooms. Very good value for the money. Location excellent for walking to the beach, and for partial ocean view, when upgrading to higher room. Good shopping nearby, and superb for quickly accessing quality restaurants.

1  Thank Rebecca M D
Write a ReviewReviews (1,640)

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I spent four nights at the Doubletree Alana Waikiki while on business in Honolulu. I was very happy with my stay. My room was clean and comfortable. I slept very well. My room was very quiet even though I was on a lower floor facing Ala Moana Blvd. There is a restaurant with a limited menu that serves breakfast (buffet only) and dinner. The continental breakfast buffet was $16 and the full buffet was $23. I ate there a couple of time and the food was good but opted to eat more often next door at Cheeseburger Paradise where the breakfast special was only $5.99. The staff at the hotel was very nice and I plan to stay there again when on business. It had the feel of a business hotel to me and not a vacation hotel although there were several tour groups staying there. The hotel seemed far from the beach but was only about 1/2 mile to Ala Moana Shopping Center if you like shopping. There is a full time concierge desk at the hotel and I was contacted my first day with a friendly phone call to let me know what services were available.

Room Tip: The rooms on the 5th floor have a very large lanai. I had my coffee out there each morning and read...
1  Thank Islandguy808
Reviewed 21 May 2014

This hotel was absolutely great! Great service, very clean, and right across from the beach. The area is nice and there are several places to eat close by. The concierge helped us plan our trip to the North Shore and sent us to some amazing places! It was easy to book a rental car through her and just go!

2  Thank Kristin R
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Great hotel location, staff was friendly! We were in town for my daughter's graduation and everything was perfect. From check in to departure was quick and efficient! We were able to enjoy the pool and the valet servie was great, even though they seem to not be available round the clock, as cars were lined up the nights we were there to have their cars parked, so we had to do the same. Overall, it was a great hotel, and would love to return when we can!

1  Thank LadyMElkGrove_CA
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I stayed in a "penthouse" for 7 days, for a total of $2,317. I was very disappointed at what would be COMPLIMENTARY at other hotels for a fraction of the cost that were not at this hotel. I could have stayed comfortably at a super 8 with FREE breakfast, Wi-Fi/internet, a microwave AND refrigerator in the room. The room was rather small for a penthouse and incomparable to the pictures and description that are displayed on the website. Booking sales are the bread and butter, (as they made roughly $30,000 off of the group I came to Hawaii with alone) I found it kind of a rip off to charge $10 a day for Wi-Fi access, (It was free in the lobby however) and $16 dollars for a breakfast buffet (I only ate a bagel, yogurt, and juice and was still charged full price). More customer appreciation! People spend alot of money with you!

3  Thank Traycee R
AlanaGuestServices, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Alana - Waikiki Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Aloha Traycee R,

Thank you for your review as we appreciate and value your feedback. We are privileged to have had the opportunity to serve you for the 7 days and do appreciate your business. We are disappointed that our amenity offerings were not what you expected and I apologize for any miscommunication when you made your reservation. We do hope that you will give us another opportunity when your travels will bring you back to Honolulu. Mahalo (thank you) for your feedback and for choosing to stay with us.

Kind Regards,
Michael Wilding

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Nice view of the electrical Transformers and roof. At least room was clean, Coffee in room was nice, because they did not have any downstairs in the Bar/Resturant, where the guy did not know how to operate the machine. Cookies were warm, just glad we did not book a longer stay. Used Hhonors points so we got a deal for little cash out of pocket.

1  Thank rcm63
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stayed here 2 adults and 2children for 10 nights on a family fun package in a 2 bed suite. Checked in early & was charged a $25 fee even though the room was ready. Not too happy with that considering we are hhonor member. Room was very clean and spacious for the 4 of us. Beds a little on the small side but okay for a child and an adult to sleep in. Bathroom very large. The room was right next to the lifts which could be noisy at times. We were able to close off the bedroom at night so noise did not affect our sleep. Kids loved the pool as not very busy and were in there twice a day. Breakfast was included in the room rate and found this to be great. Plenty to choose from with continental items and then hot items including made to order eggs, omelettes etc. Staff at breakfast were exceptional especially Colleen and Susan who were happy to chat and make sure our kids were well looked after. Front desk staff great especially Danny who kept my kids well supplied with cookies...yumyum. Great location as hotel away from the heart of Waikiki so a little quieter but close to the Waikiki trolley stops and tour pick ups. Also close walk to shopping. One downfall was the wifi in the room which was part of the package but not very reliable. We could only connect for short periods at certain times of the day. Better connection in the lobby. Cleaning staff were very accommodating as most of the time we just requested from hem fresh towels etc without cleaning our room. Saved them time. Would stay here again if returned to Waikiki just for the staff.

Room Tip: Don't choose a suite as all located next to the lifts if noise is a problem. Rooms overlooking c...
2  Thank Heidi2229