“Staycation (Vacation in your own town)”

DoubleTree by Hilton Alana - Waikiki Beach
Ranked #46 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 2 September 2014

We decided to spend the Labor Day weekend in town and be tourists, We checked in and go upstairs and can't get into our room. This past year I have had that problem at other hotels so I thought here we go again. I go back down to the front desk and have the key rechecked to make sure that it's working, The front desk clerk checked and found that she told me and wrote the wrong room number. At least it wasn't me this time.

The hotel is located near the beginning of Waikiki, Near the Hilton Hawaiian Village and the Modern Hotel, I liked that it was not in the busy part of town and didn't have to deal with crowds of people.

The special treat of cookies when you check in is a nice touch.

We were able to walk to Kapiolani Park to visit the Okinawan Festival and eat the delicious foods and see the entertainers. No worries about finding parking since we were able to park at the hotel.

We even went to see the participants at the 45th Waikiki Rough Water swim, things we wouldn't normally go to see.

We had a chance to try new restaurants that in my opinion are hidden gems, Hike Hawaii Cafe as well as Goofy Cafe both less than a block from the hotel

Overall the rooms are clean, the location is good and staff is professional. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gyee50
AlanaGuestServices, Guest Services at DoubleTree by Hilton Alana - Waikiki Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Aloha gyee50,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, letting us know how you felt about your visit with us.
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed not only our hotel, amenities and staff, but the surrounding area as well. We realize that sometimes it is hard to appreciate everything an area has to offer when you live nearby. So we are happy that you were able to spend the time with us while discovering new restaurants and activities!
We hope that we will see you again soon!

Reviewed 31 August 2014

During a recent stay, I failed to properly account for my entire stay. The day prior to my check out, I was called and advised that i was scheduled to check out that day. I responded that I failed to account the last day of stay and although the hotel was sold out, the supervisor on duty managed to provide for the additional night stay. That provided peace of mind as I was traveling to another Hawaiian island at the time of the call.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
1  Thank Lee C
AlanaGuestServices, Guest Services at DoubleTree by Hilton Alana - Waikiki Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

Aloha Lee C,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to write a review.
We are happy to hear that our staff was able to accomodate you despite being sold out. We hope that by these actions you were able to enjoy your last day in Hawaii free of stress.
We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights. Excellent hotel. Awesome friendly staff. Took care of every minor detail. Great location...ocean view...wish we could have stayed longer. HAWAII in general is an awesome place and the hotel made it better. Will look for this hotel next time.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Aloha Sai M,

Thank you so much for the awesome review! We always love to read reviews such as yours!
The little details always count, and we are so glad to hear that you appreciated them! We will be sure to share your review with our staff!
We look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Reviewed 31 August 2014

If this were a hotel in any other city, I'd say it's fine. But for Waikiki it's an overpriced place to stay considering what you get. The staff is great and the room was nice enough, but it's too far from the beach locations to walk to, and since it's valet only parking, that makes it a hassle to drive back and forth to the beach area. The view is nothing special - mostly the high rise apartment buildings in the area.

We booked at a rate of $179, but by the time we paid the mandatory $30/day parking fee and a wifi charge, we were around $250/ night, and it didn't help being an Honors member. Definitely not a dive, but the price and mediocre location will prevent me from ever staying here again.

Bottom line is that if you're in Waikiki for a vacation, pay a little more to stay somewhere closer to the beach so you can enjoy the view and be within walking distance to almost everything.

5  Thank catt4

Aloha catt4,

We would like to apologize for your dissatisfaction during your stay with us. As a Hilton Honors member we strive to make you feel most comfortable and have the most rewarding stay. We are sad to hear that that did not happen.
We would love for you to give us a second opportunity to provide you with a better stay. We hope that in the future you will give us that consideration and opportunity.

Reviewed 29 August 2014

Despite being somewhat of a dated hotel, the rooms have been recently renovated and are quiet and clean. Staff very helpful and courteous. Close to the nearby local favorite Wailana Coffee Shop with excellent breakfasts for a good value.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Aloha Martin R,

Thank you for taking time to write a review and to express your thoughts about hotel and your experience with us!
We appreciate you taking time to recognize our staff on their outstanding work. It is always encouraging to our staff when they hear that their hard work has been noticed!
We hope that we will see you again in the future!

Reviewed 28 August 2014

I am a Hilton Honors member and decided to stay here because I had one night free stay, and the other nights were within my budget. I must say, it was an excellent choice. The hotel was very nice, clean and in a great location. The beach was very close. The hotel says one block, but you have to go through the Hawaiian Hilton and I count that as a block, but it is a very easy walk. The Waikiki beach is beautiful and believe it or not, it was not very crowded.
Back to the hotel. We had a ocean view room and it was very nice. You can see the beach but are far enough away from the beach do not spring for the ocean front. Customer service was very good. You get a free continental breakfast every day, or you can upgrade to a hot cooked breakfast for $7.00. We did that a couple of days. Hopefully you can get Michael as the chef. He made the best omelette I have ever eaten.
My only complaints about the hotel was that we did not have a microwave in our room and that you have no option for parking except for valet. I expected to pay for parking, but I hate having to wait to get my car. It just seems easier for me to park my own car and get it whenever I am ready to leave. Other than these two things it was an excellent hotel.
Lots of great restaurants and shopping within walking distance. My husband and I both agreed that we would definitely stay here again if we were in the Waikiki Beach area.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
AlanaGuestServices, Guest Services at DoubleTree by Hilton Alana - Waikiki Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Aloha RSV58,

Thank you for taking the time out to write a review! We always enjoy reading reviews such as yours!
We want to apologize for the issue of there being no microwave in your room. We know this can be an inconvience, and will look into solutions for this.
We are pleased to know that aside from that you enjoyed your stay tremendously!
We look forward to seeing you again in the future and further serving you.

Reviewed 28 August 2014

We stayed here for one night before heading back to the main land. The hotel and the room are clean and nicely decorated. We received a free upgrade, so we had 2 beds and a pull out couch in the living room for 4 of us, which was greatly appreciated! The pull out couch is the most comfortable pull out couch I have ever been on in a hotel!!! Very friendly and helpful staffs all around. The breakfast was standard, but fresh and yummy! The hotel is one block to the Hilton Waikiki Village and right on the corner of Kalakaua Avenue. An easy walk to all the shops and restaurant and to the Waikiki beach. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Aloha Linda B,

Thank you for writing such an awesome review!
We are so pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your time with us! Our goal is to always have each guest check out with the same satisfaction as you. We are happy that our goal is being met.
We will be sure to share your review tih our staff!
We look forward to seeing you again in the future!