“Phenomenal Boutique Hotel with all the Comforts of Home!”

DoubleTree by Hilton Alana - Waikiki Beach
Ranked #46 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 20 May 2009

My fiance and I wanted a weekend getaway downtown, so we searched for the best deal. We found the Doubletree Alana had the best local/Kamaaina rate at $99 including parking. We had viewed the room prior to our stay and found it more than adequate for it's price. However, we were presently surprised upon our check in to find out that we had been upgraded to a larger suite with a kitchen and extra room. I believe it was the handicap room. It came with a large bathroom and a huge walk in shower.

Upon arrival we were greeted with warm cookies and a smile. The Bistro seemed like a great place for drinks but we opted for Subway right around the corner. The pool was heated and uncrowded. A nice options outside of going to the beach. For toursist, don't fret, the beach is only a few minutes away. If you are looking to spend time in a resort like environment, you are free to use the ammenities at the Hilton Hawaiian Village across the street.

We didn't use the gym, but we noticed that had one and it was in great condition.

Overall, I give this hotel two thumbs up for the cost, location and service.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 May 2009

Stayed for two nights and was attracted by the 99.00 " spring special" on their webpage. We had a rental car as we had to be mobile for several sporting events we were attending. There is no self park, valet only and it costs 25.00/night. Paid for it and found out while talking to another guest that the hotels regular rate is127.00 or so and includes valet parking.
Other than that no big complaints. Rooms were clean and not old, staff friendly and helpful.
We thought we were getting an excellent deal and as it turned out it was just regular price.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2009

I came to Honolulu for a conference and got a really good deal for this hotel on priceline. The hotel is located at the edge of Waikiki, about 8 minute walk to both convention center and Hilton beach - for me the location was perfect. It is definitely a business hotel - the pool was tiny and overlooked a parking lot, but who needs a pool when there's ocean nearby?

The staff was very friendly and helpful. After checking in I was surprised that they gave me a suite! The room was in great condition and clean. There was a refrigerator, but no microwave. The internet - both wired and WiFi costs around $10/day or $50/week. The speed was limited - around 512 KBit, but consistent. WiFi is free in the lobby. I did not go to their restaurant - but I would highly recommend Wailana coffeeshop a block away for breakfast.

Overall, it was probably one of the most convenient and well-maintained hotels I ever stayed in.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 May 2009

I stayed in the Doubletree Alana Waikiki for 4 nights checking in on April 30 and out on May 4, 3009. I booked on the Hilton Website and was surprised as I was searching for a hotel they had a AAA rate called the Spring Special of $ 99.00 plus tax so I jumped on it. I was actually considering using points at either the Hilton or the Marriot but for the $ 99 rate it was not worth it to use the number of points either of those properties wanted.

I did not rent a car due to the Stiff valet charges of $26.00 per day for parking. When I arrived at HNL I used Robert’s Hawaii shuttle. The cost is $9 one way or $15 round trip and you can reserve your return pick up in advance via phone. You are allowed two large bags which are placed under the bus for free and your carry-ons may be taken into the bus. You find the stop in the airport and can pay the driver upon boarding.

I was offered an requested a “Standby room upgrade” on the web site when my reservation was made to a Suite Supposedly 650 Square feet with kitchenette and Ocean view for an additional $9 per night. Upon check in this was not offered or even mentioned and as a Hilton Diamond member it was kind of disappointing. I had reserved a room with two queen beds which was supposed to be upgraded to an Ocean View but received a room with a city view. Since I saw the property- I did not think you could even see the Ocean from any room as you were surrounded by other tall buildings. I suppose if you were on top floors you could catch a fleeting view of some water. The only perk I was offered as a Diamond member was the same cookie everyone else received and I did choose free internet ($ 10.95/day instead of the free continental breakfast or points). There is no executive or Concierge level thus there are no free drinks or breakfast here for the Gold/Diamond members. Since I had requested a quiet room not facing the busy street I did not complain as my room 801 was quiet even though it was not the upgraded room which was printed on my reservation.

As others have commented the room was not very big. It did have a mini fridge and microwave and was the 2 queen kitchenette which I had reserved. I wanted to be able to keep my beverages chilled instead of purchasing from the hotel at the sky high prices Hawaii is famous for.

The fitness center was nice and had 4 treadmills. The pool area was also ok for taking a quick dip for those not interested in going to the beach. These are located on the Mezzanine level.

The bathroom was also small and the Japanese tub was kind of cramped even for showering as other reviewers have mentioned.

Housekeeping was fine and did not bother me when my “Do not disturb” sign was out. I left a small gratuity on the bed daily to assure reasonable service.

I requested late check out on my final day as my flight was not until 10 pm. I was given until 2 pm and after that I checked my baggage with the Bellman and went sightseeing. Unfortunately the hotel does not have a hospitality suite to allow guests to shower an change before their flights. Since I had a late one I got my bag from the Bellman and donned a swimsuit, then used the shower in the pool area which is outdoors to wash, and used the pool towels and changed and freshened up in the bathroom by the fitness center. This is the only way around them not having the Hospitality Suite. I have suggested that they get one as most guests do have late flights out.

The Doubletree is at the top end of the Waikiki strip so it was the first stop for the shuttle.
It is only about 1.5 blocks from the Hilton Hawaiian Village and about a 5 minute walk across Ala Moana Blvd. That is where the beach is if you are interested.

Dining options are numerous within walking distance as there are some fast food places like Subway, IHOP, and ABC stores (3 within 2 blocks), There is a a Tony Roma’s across the street. There are also numerous local places (Cheeseburger Waikiki, Kobe Japanese Steak house, and all the eateries in the Hawaiian Village) nearby.

I would walk to Waikiki (about 15-20 minutes) for shopping and food and the Convention Center is about 3 blocks. One could also walk or take the bus to either Waikiki or to the Ala Moana Shopping center which is about 4-5 blocks up Ala Moana Blvd. There is a nice Asian style food court there with many choices from Korean BBQ to Lahaina Chicken.

I visited the Honolulu Aquarium which is at the far end of Waikiki and was not impressed. For the $ 9 admission it was very small and there is minimal to see. I would not recommend.

I also went on the “Haunted Honolulu Ghost Walk”. It cost about $ 30 and was about two hours. It was more for the history and the views then to see any restless spirits. They do have a bus our to some “Haunted places” but I could not make that due to my schedule. They say the bus tour is really scary??

Overall I would say that the Doubletree Alana was worth the price I paid but if I was to pay $150 or more (which was what some of the published rates were) I think I could find a place that had a little more to offer such as the Hilton Kuhio or the Waikiki Marriott.

I would recommend for those on a budget who are not afraid to walk as I was. Email me if you have any questions and I will try and respond as I can.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 April 2009

My choice to stay at the Doubletree Alana was driven by the hotel's proximity to the Hawaii Convention Center and my desire to stay at a Hilton property to accrue more Hilton Honors points. The room was clean but rather small for an American hotel. I bruised my leg when I slipped trying to get into the shower/tub the first day. It's a big step up to get into and very slippery. The shower head was a little low for me, and I can't imagine how awkward it would be for taller men and women - although a hand-held attachment is also available. The toiletries provided are from Neutrogena and include a face moisturizer with a strong SPF. We were able to book a room with a small refrigerator and microwave (not all rooms had a microwave) for a discounted rate. The view from the 7th floor on the ocean side was nothing to write home about, but we didn't spend much time in the room. My colleague's room on the other side (mountain view) on the 8th floor was a little nicer. The fitness center is small but well-equipped. The hotel is a short walk from the convention center, the Hilton resort for beach access, and the restaurants/shops/hotels in Waikiki. I stopped at the ING Cafe across the street each morning for a bagel and coffee (large coffee for $1!!). The air conditioning never seemed to get our room very cool. We found out in the middle of the week that a colleague had a room in the nearby Ilikai Hotel that was twice as big with a complimentary continental breakfast and a large balcony with an ocean view for only $30 more a night. If it weren't for the Hilton Honor points, I might have wished I was staying there. Overall, the hotel was fine but not great. I'd recommend it if you are attending something at the Hawaii Convention Center.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 April 2009

We stayed at the doubletree while in Honolulu to attend our sons wedding. The staff was friendly and accommodating allowing a family member to check in even though flights delayed our arrival several days. He big shock came when a large security guard and front desk manager pounded on our door within 15 minutes of our days late arrival aggressively alleging we were smoking something funny in our room. Although I appreciate their desire to monitor the activities in the hotel, I did not appreciate the approach. It made for a uncomfortable stay. The GM was less than sincere with his apology and a veil of suspicion hovered over what should be a happy occasion.
On the last day of our stay the our room attendant finally noticed there were three guests registered. She left a few extra amenities and a extra packet of coffee without charge (they normally charge you for additional coffee packets.) Loreta was a small bright spot in an otherwise uncomfortable stay.
There are better hotels in better locations for less in Honolulu. I doubt I will stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank mamatrain
Reviewed 10 April 2009

We have stayed at this property a number of times and we are never disappointed. We know the property is not on the beach, but an easy walki to the Waikiki beach and shopping areas. We enjoy being away from the crowds and the smell of suntan oil. The employees are terrific, especially Danny who made certain we were pleased with our stay. The rooms are good sized, well maintained, and I believe offer a good value when compared to the other beach properties in the local area. Previous reviewers commented on the dated furnishings and mildew. Guess I don't go looking for this and given that most hotel rooms are used by thousands of guests, some who take care of their surroundings, this hotel has very well maintained rooms and facilities. There was no mildew in the bathrooms or carpeting, both were very clean. The suite we stayed in had a separate bedroom area, a living room area, and a small wet bar area with an in room coffee maker, sink, and small refrig. The room had a combo of tile and carpeting, with an extra wide/long lani. Thick white towels in the bathroom were great. The bedding was excellent, including the pillow topped king bed. There is free internet service in the lobby and for a fee available in the room. The lobby is quiet and was handy when using the internet. We did not come to Hawaii to work so the lobby area was adequate for our daily searches of things to do in Honolulu. The staff was very helpful in providing printed directions to various sites using The Bus, Honolulu's public transportation. The pool area is nice, with chaise lounges and tables provided for guests. Large pool towels are provided for guests in the pool area. But who wants to use the pool when there are miles and miles of beautiful sandy beaches in Hawaii. The fitness center is nicely equiped with gym equipment. While there the hotel had a very large group of high school students staying there. The staff did an amazing job of keeping them on certain floors and from bascially taking over the property. Hats off to them! I will continue to stay at this property for it's value and comfort. Thank you Doubletree staff for making our stay an enjoyable one. Aloha!
P.S. Those chocolate chip cookies are the best!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple