“It was OK, I don't think I would come again”

Aqua Skyline at Island Colony
Ranked #59 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We were supposed to stay 5 nights but switched to another hotel at the last minute. We did reserve a room for 1 night since our flight left at midnight and we needed a place to shower. This place is just OK. The hallways stink so badly of cigarette smoke :( The room itself was fine. This place has had a makeover but it is still like putting lipstick on a pig... The shower is TINY. My husband and I are both 5'8/5'9 and the shower head was 1/4 inch away from hitting the back of our head. The bed is on a platform, no box spring FYI. The room really was decent but I'm thankful we did not stay here the full 5 nights. The proximity to the center of Waikiki was also a negative for me (I love being able to walk out and be in the middle of it all). If you are looking for good value and an OK hotel, this is the one for you. I'd rather pay a bit more and stay somewhere a little nicer. I didn't really feel comfortable being here. Maybe it was the fact that part of this place is hotel and the other part are condos/owners/more random people?
Just wanted to add that the front desk gal was very friendly and the lanais are a good size. :)

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room if possible... lots of street noise here!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TaraDee

Reviewed 22 April 2014

I was told upon arrival that my One Bedroom Suite Panoramic City was no longer available because of a water leak. So they relocated me to a One Bedroom Suite on the lower floors which turned out to be a bit noisy on some mornings from the street noise. The room looked like an old hotel that had upgraded. The hotel’s narrow hallways looked old and over-traffic, with cottage cheese ceilings (lead). The main noise was from the hallways. This hotel is not very soundproof so you will hear other room's doors opening and closing, along with passing conversation that's loud enough to wake you up. On windy days you will also hear the patio door shake. The in room wifi worked well, but was down for 1 day. Frig and microwave worked well. The front desk was very responsive, especially Amosa. The parking garage ($25/day) in the building is dusty, run-down, and lacked some lighting, so it felt a bit unsafe. The ceiling is very low. My minivan got very close to hitting the ceiling pipes.

Room Tip: The Studio Panoramic Ocean room that I also saw is a bit misleading as the view ahead is Diamond Hea...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Tom654
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I stayed here with a friend for a period of 10 days. On arrival it was neat and tidy. It is currently being renovated painted etc. The reception staff were very helpful. Our plan arrived in the early morning. Our room was not yet ready however they kept us informed and sent a request to housekeeping to have the room ready asap. Once allowed into our room we were pleasantly surprised. We had a fantastic view and the room was clean roomy enough for us and all our shopping. The beds were very comfortable, however my bed did not seem to get made properly for our whole ten day stay. They pulled up the linens but did not remake or tidy very well. The pool area was spacious and the spa and sauna were very clean. The apartments are central to everything and only a five minute walk to the beach. The air conditioner was quite noisy and the traffic was surprisingly loud considering we were on the 36th floor. There is a cocktail evening on the roof terrace. It is a must to go to that just to admire the view from all sides of the building. The only major negative I have of our entire stay is the state of the bathroom in the foyer area. It was disgraceful. The whole bathroom was filthy. As this was the first room I encountered on our stay I was very suspicious of what our room would be like. Luckily that was only one area I never went to again. They really need to get some bleach and scrubbing brushes into that room.

Room Tip: The higher your room the better the view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank The_Green_5
Reviewed 10 April 2014

This was a last minute booking and i would recommend Island Colony to anyone. Very reasonably priced a short walk to the main strip and best of all fantastic customer service. We stayed 10 days in a kitchenette studio which suited us, two twin double beds clean bathroom and kitchenette cooktop for simple cooking. The kids also loved the pool and other facilities.
Well done Island Colony!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank marisa c
Reviewed 10 April 2014

The rooms were clean. It seemed just a little dusty to me. We were pleased with service. We needed a service call for the tub and it was fixed soon. We were very happy with checkin. It was quick and our room was on the 34th floor, so the view was awesome. We could see the ocean and diamond head. Our room looked just like the pictures. We didnt have any problem with elevators. We had complimentary wifi. The bathroom is small but clean. The refrigerator and microwave were good for us, but I would never have tried to cook in there. It was way too small for all that. It was very easy to get to the beach from there. I guess the only thing I did like was the smell from the room next door. There are people that live there, so it smelled like their food all the time,rather than a fresh hotel hall way. However,we did not spend much time in the room. We also had no problem with our key either, as others have complained about.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 10 April 2014

The positives of this hotel was the service was excellent, friendly, kind and helpful. We booked a staycation at the Aqua Skyline because our friend told us the hotel was nice and newly renovated, which she was right about. We checked in on a Friday night and service was great and prompt. When we got to out room, the room was absolutely wonderful. We had a kitchen, good amount of living room and bathroom space and the bedroom was beautiful with stunning view of the city, along side the firework that was showing at the HIlton Hawaiian Village. Over all I would stay here again and even recommend family and friends to stay here. The service was great along with everything else. We were a very happy campers!!!!! :)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Worst stay I have had in years. Followed the good reviews and booked...boy was I mislead.

Driving up it looked impressive. Do not be fooled. This is not a hotel and only books 100 out of the 1500 rolms for hotel guests.

Pool is closed until after March. Ice machines are out of order. Renovations on all floors means primer paint, patch jobs on the walls, and paint scraping everywhere. Elevators have missing buttons for some floors. Door key worked once out of 10 tries. Shower head for people under six feet. Spring mattress without the box springs. Blue stains on the carpet. And...no WIFI.

Other than that...it wss great.

Felt likeva giant dorm. Dumpy and full of young kids paying rent.

I will never stay at an Aqua property again.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Mary T
Brian K, Manager at Aqua Skyline at Island Colony, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Aloha,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about our property. It's unfortunate that you endured these issues while here. We strive to provide an wonderful experience for all guests and unfortunately yours was sub-par. I would like to know more in detail about your stay, please contact me at bkovaloff@aquaresorts,com.

Mahalo,