Message from TripAdvisor:

“Average Hotel but Okay to Stay”

Aqua Skyline at Island Colony
Ranked #57 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Wellington, New Zealand
“Average Hotel but Okay to Stay”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Arrived late on a Friday night. We were on the 39th floor so had awesome views of the city and ocean. Room was clean and pleasant and recently upgraded. Shower was very good although one morning we couldn't get it very hot - not that that mattered much as it was refreshing to have a tepid shower. Housekeeping generally good. We were here during Tropical Storm Iselle and the hotel was very good at keeping guests informed.
The hotel pool was in need of a chemical clean - slightly slimy feel to the tiles and the water was a bit unclear. Consequently we only used it the once.
Gym facilities were good with modern equipment and available for a one off $5 fee for the duration of the stay.
A/C was extremely noisy to the extent that you needed to turn it off during the night which made for a very hot and humid sleep. We even slept the night of the storm with the doors to the balcony wide open! Was good getting a fresh breeze! They need to upgrade the A/C system.
The shop on the 6th floor was good and had all necessities that you may have needed although one employee was more interested in the game on his phone than serving.
The parking garage had a charge of $25 if you got a coupon from reception and $30 if you didn't. We weren't informed about the coupon until we had to pay. This is the first time I've had to pay to use a parking garage attached to a hotel. Maybe it's the norm in the USA?
I would recommend Aqua Colony for those on a budget.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Darryl N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Wasn’t sure this place would work out for us after reading the reviews, but it ended up being a decent place to stay. Pay to upgrade your room, though. We were with a large group that had a total of four different rooms (different sizes, different views, etc) and we had the nicest room by far. The rooms are small, even the penthouse room (43rd floor) one of my family members had. Our room on the 19th floor was bigger than theirs (but their view was breathtaking). We had a 1-bedroom suite panoramic ocean room. My husband and I had the room with the lanai and our two preteen daughters slept on the hide-a-bed in the living room. Beds were very comfortable!! Even the hide-a-bed. The shower was very nice sized with a “rain shower” shower head that worked pretty good. We had a nice kitchenette with a full sized fridge, oven, microwave and sink (my brother’s room didn’t have a sink with their little kitchenette). It also had a nice granite island. Our room had built in a/c units in both the bedroom and the living room. Apparently most rooms do not come this way, so that was worth the upgrade right there. A majority of the rooms have an a/c unit through the balcony wall and there’s a bucket on the balcony that the water run off goes into. You have to call housekeeping to come and dispose of the water. A bit of a pain.

Pool, hot tub and sunning area on the 6th floor were great! Probably the best part of the hotel! Though we spent time at the beach, the kids really enjoyed having the pool to swim in, too. We spent more time there than we thought we would. The laundry room on the 6th floor was convenient (and the washers and dryers actually worked well!). The BBQ area was nice for our large family dinners, but the hours to access it need to be extended (they kicked us out at 9pm). Having the little store on the 6th floor (hrs 7am-midnight) was very nice, as they had most everything you would be looking for, including alcohol, but it’s spendy, as you’d expect. There’s also a little coffee stand on the 1st floor that also serves sandwiches and snacks. Was expensive. The building itself was dated, but our room had clearly been updated in the recent years. It appeared as though they have been working to upgrade the rooms and were still in the midst of it. Hopefully they’ll be investing in updating some of their hallways, too. They were pretty worn down.

The hotel has people that actually make it their home, hence the extra amenities like the laundry room and store. Was nice meeting different types of people who could also recommend places in the area.

The front desk people were very friendly! So were most of the onsite staff. The security team, however, were extremely unfriendly to the point of rude. Just because you're security doesn't mean you necessarily have to be unpleasant. Unless you're dealing with people who are being unruly.

The parking garage for the hotel was $25 a day to park in. Was a bummer, but basically a necessity if you rented a car, because there really wasn’t any free parking that we could find in the area. For people who are NOT staying in the hotel – they have to pay $35 a day to park in the garage! It was a rip off, but with no other options, what are you going to do?

The surrounding area was busy, as you’d expect in Waikiki. Was easy to walk where you wanted to go whether it was the beach, one of their many varieties of restaurants or clubs. There were also places to shop, but they were all pretty expensive. I didn’t bother buying the cheap stuff, because we were going to visit Maui prior to going home and didn’t want to travel with all of our gifts until the end.

Quick notes on restaurants: Went to Duke’s. WAY overpriced, but a beautiful view in of the ocean in the evening. You’re basically paying for that. If you can afford it, it’s nice. Marukame Udon is awesome food if you’re into Udon noodles! The line is long, but it actually goes faster than you’d think. Waited 25 minutes, but was worth it! Cafeteria style eating. Rainbow Drive-In is good local food, but is outside of Waikiki a little. You can walk there or it’s just a quick drive. Just past Rainbow Drive-In is an old bakery named Leonard’s Bakery. Get a box of Malasadas!! Again – There’s a line you’ll have to stand in, but once you take a bite out of the hot doughnut, you’ll forget about the line!

Traffic on Oahu is horrid. If you need to travel anywhere on the highway system, give yourself double the estimated time! It’s a bummer to be stuck in your car creeping along at 25 mph on a highway while on vacation. We’ll probably stick to the other islands next time, but if you’re looking for a busy, crowded and fast past experience in Hawaii, Waikiki is the place for you!

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor and upgrade to a suite that includes a panoramic or ocean front view! The highe...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank TKColeman
Upper marlboro
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Stayed at Island Colony June 21-26, 2014 and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Lots of new things since my last visit and all are really great. The agent gave me a room which had a panoramic view of the city and ocean. The front desk was always so helpful at all times and really treated me as i was very special over my entire stay.

A special shout-out to Steve.Lelani, and a gentleman whose' name I just cannot remember- much less pronounce:-). He assisted me with a very late checkin as my flight from Dallas was almost 5 hours late. However I was totally thankful for all of the time they spent with me during a somewhat eventful checkin- again, thanks to Lelani and the mystery male agent who worked with her during my checkin- still cna't remember hiss name:-)

Rooms were very clean and maids do excellent work! One special suggestion for all who may visit the Island Colony in the future, please checkout Jagger's Cafe which is located next to the front desk and is owned by a gentleman named Jason- No! Not THAT Jason of Friday the 13th fame- this one is the nice Jason:-) The menu is quite appealing and prices are very good. Pay him a visit and you will surely be pleased!

Have stayed here many times and as aforementioned, will visit again-it's my favorite place to stay when on Oahu. By the way, their reservation agents are also excellent- the res agent who help me saved me quite a bit of money on the cost of my great room. Ok! Go ahead now and make YOUR reservation:-) Aloha!

Room Tip: Just ask and you shall receive! Higher floors are my preference no matter the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Richard V
New Zealand
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

Booked this after reading multiple reviews of hotels in HNL. We arrived very late due to flight delays and I strongly suspect we'd been moved slowly down the floors as other people checked in ahead of us, c'est la vie. Our studio room on the 17th floor was clean and comfortable and had everything we needed for a short stay. The kitchenette was pretty tiny but had a microwave and stovetop. My tall boyfriend also complained about the chest height shower head and the water wasn't as warm as I would've expected in a hotel. The wifi got pretty slow in the evenings but early morning was good enough for a Skype call.

Overall I think this is a good place to stay. Not beachfront but close enough and good transport links just up the street. I booked directly with the hotel and think I got a reasonable price.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank glenclova
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Clean, modern room.
Great location, walking distance to all the shopping and 2 blocks from the beach
Very helpful and friendly staff
We stayed at a more expensive hotel on the beach for our last night and preferred this one

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jan M
sydney
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I had heard of this hotel having recently completed refurbishment late last year in 2013.
I have stayed at a few Aqua properties in Waikiki before, and the rooms have always been clean and comfortable, with friendly staff ready to help.
I was happy to see that when arriving at the hotel, that this one was just like the others.
Sure, the hotel is not a 4 or 5 star luxury hotel, but if you are after clean and comfortable at an affordable price, than it is right up your alley.
I booked the Studio Panoramic Ocean View room and it was great.
The one thing that i really wanted after investigating the hotel on their website was the glorious view that they promised. They lived up to it. My view was absolutely breathtaking.
i have been to Waikiki so many times, and have had the oppurtunity to stay in Ocean views before, but this was the best view i have ever had.
The lanai was really big, with several chairs and a really nice big table, which i enjoyed breakfast on every morning and sometimes the occasional late beverage.
The king bed was really comfortable with a really big tv.
Free wifi with no limit was great, as i was constantly on my ipad in the late evening.
The only negative thing i would say is that the bathroom is extremely small for a studio.
I would definately stay here again and recommend to friends and family.

Room Tip: Go for a Studio Panoramic Ocean view. You will not be dissappointed with the view.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Lawrencetown, Canada
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This hotel is well placed to accommodate every kind of traveler. Clean, safe, and well located. The beach is just a few short blocks away and the hotel provides free beach chairs and towels. The staff was beyond wonderful. The place has laundry facilities, a nice pool, a convenience store, and lots lots more on the 6th floor. This no smoking palace is quiet and easy to get to from the airport by the #19 city bus. The City zoo, Aquarium, and Diamond Head are all within walking distance. Don't want to walk??? There are lots of hop on hop off bus alternatives. You can cook in your room or stuff your face nearby. I would recommend this hotel to everyone and look forward to my next stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple