“Not enough video clips”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of KOS Tours

KOS Tours
Ranked #66 of 299 Outdoor Activities in Honolulu
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a Hummer tour company that takes guest to Lost, Movie and Hawaii Five-0 locations on the island of Oahu.
Australia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Not enough video clips”
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Overall I thought this tour was just ok. I had read in other reviews that we would be shown video clips but note this is only for some of the movie scenes and none of the Lost or Hawaii 5-0 scenes. As Lost finished quite some time ago it would have been great and more enjoyable had video clips been shown for some of the Lost scenes instead of just pictures in a photo album. This would make the tour more accommodating for partners of Lost fans who had not seen much of the series but also for fans that may not remember every single scene. Due to the high cost of the tour I would recommend this tour only for keen Lost or Hawaii 5-0 fans.

HUMMERHAWAII, Owner at KOS Tours, responded to this review, 24 February 2015
Thank you for your candid review. Yes, we show some clips for some of the movies, but not all. And no clips for Lost. We are not authorized to show Lost of Hawaii Five O clips, so we use photos for Vidcaps. We do hope that you had a overall good time on your tour. It is a recommendation to people that will be coming to take one of our tours is to re-watch Lost or Movies that will be covered on the tour. It does enhance the. experience. Thank you for your business. Ed

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Winchester, VA
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Beautiful Views, Great Pictures, Terrific Tour Guide (Aaron)”
Reviewed 21 April 2013

If you love exploring the outdoors and beautiful views that Hawaii has to offer...you will enjoy this tour. If you are a Lost, Hawaii 5-0 or The Last Resort fan this tour is a must do! This was the only tour that I absolutely knew I wanted to do and booked before we arrived in Hawaii. We took the 5 hour afternoon tour and had Aaron as our guide.
Aaron picked us up promptly at our hotel and there was another couple already in the Hummer. Before we knew it we were all talking like we were old friends. Aaron was very knowledgeable and immediately started pointing out places of interest. There are many movie location spots on the way to the Ranch that you would have no way of knowing about on your own. We also got to take great pictures of Chinaman's hat and Turtle island on the way to the Ranch. Once at the Ranch the ride gets a little rough in places but the beautiful views of the valley's and movie locations you get to visit are amazing. Aaron had a photo album and a DVD player so he could show us the locations that we were seeing in the movies that they were in. You have many opportunities to get out of the Hummer and take wonderful pictures. Aaron took some great pictures for us and the other couple using props that made it look like we were on the LOST set.

** I see where one reviewer gave this tour 1 star. I would like to comment on there negative comments - Our Hummer was older also but when you see where they have to take them to get you to these places you will understand why they aren't using new vehicles...beside it is called Hummer tours and they don't make new Hummer's anymore. Your in Hawaii, roll the windows down and enjoy the fresh air. You can't see much with the windows up anyway because they are tinted. It tells you on there website, they make you aware when booking and when they call to confirm the tour that there is no food provided so be sure to eat before the tour. You can purchase a snack and drinks at the Ranch gift shop or you can bring something with you. Aaron did offer us water and a snack bar.

It was worth every penny. Thanks Aaron and KOS Tours for a wonderful day on Oahu.
Susan & Don

HUMMERHAWAII, Owner at KOS Tours, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
Susan and Don....wow what a great review. Do you write a travel blog? I am glad you had a great time on the tour and that AAron was a great guide. I am lucky to have him. He loves to give tours and is so easy going and makes you feel like family when on the tour with him. The truth is, we do not have to cover one movie or tv show location and it will still be a great tour. I too love getting out in the valley and still take pictures. Thanks again for your review and your business. Aloha, Ed
Salt Lake City, Utah
“KOS - 5 hour tour (a LOST bias review)”
Reviewed 12 April 2013

I'm a HUGE Lost fan, so when I found out that KOS was still running tours, I was excited. After some debating, we decided to choose the 5 hour tour. REASON: my wife and I were staying at the North shore, which is close to many of the 8 hour Lost sites we were most interested in seeing. Also, the 5 hour is on private property, Kualoa Ranch (which is rad). Ed (the owner of KOS) was very helpful and readily available to answer any of my questions about the tour via phone or email.

It was a well balanced tour between Lost sites, a few shows I haven't seen, and a lot of film sites. I was surprised how readily I recognized most of the Lost filming locations. I looked like a huge nerd rattling off the scenes in front of my wife and the Australian couple that we were on the tour with.

If you choose to do the 8 hour tour around Oahu - listen to the other reviewers and go early on in your trip. You'll probably end up finding places you'll want to revisit. During our last few hours near the north shore, my wife and I ventured out on our own to one of the beach camps from Lost (which is visited during the 8 hour tour) and it ended up being one of our favorite beaches. I wished we would have known about it earlier. I'm sure if we went with a tour guide, they would have been able to point out who slept where/everything that happened around the area/a bunch of scenes I've probably forgotten about by now. Alas, we were stuck with youtube videos and inaccurate blogs as our guide.

Our tour guide was named Jeff. He was great and made the tour enjoyable for my wife (a medium lost fan), and the other couple we were with (who just came to go off-roading in a Hummer).

More reasons to choose KOS over the other tours that go through Kualoa Ranch:

1) Apparently there's a bus or something that goes through. I don't recall seeing it. But there were sites we visited that a bus definitely wouldn't be able to make it to - so I'm not sure what they even see. Plus, with the small group we had, we were able to get out of the Hummer as many times as we wanted - and stay at the sites as long as we wanted.

2) We saw a couple groups on the four wheeler tour. At first it looked cool - everyone getting their own 4 wheeler...but then I realized they were all maxing out at like 10 mph. That's like riding a horse with broken legs.

3) It's a Hummer, and it was bumpy and fun.

tl;dr - excellent tour.

HUMMERHAWAII, Owner at KOS Tours, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and the great advice you have given about take the tour early in your trip. We know that on our tours, we will show you places that you will want to come back to and spend more time. Also the guides give you advice about places to visit or things to do. The tour started out as a movie tour, but then Lost came out. It covers so many movies and tv shows that there is something for everyone. Thank you for recommending our tours and for your business. Come to Hawaii often. Aloha, Ed
San Diego, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Please reconsider!”
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I am giving this one star, but there were parts I did enjoy. During the LOST series, it would have been fabulous. Now you go to hills and imagine where it all happened. The hummer was old, the A/C didn't work, which made us feel very sick (hot air blew out of the vents), the sites were meaningless, there were no snacks, no food, and the cost was unbelievable. I have never been on an activity that was so disappointing.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank meluv2travel2012
HUMMERHAWAII, Owner at KOS Tours, responded to this review, 12 April 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to address some things that did not fit well with you on the tour. I am guessing you took the 2 hour tour. I am happy to hear that there were some things that you liked on the tour. The tour has more than 20 movies, 8 or 9 Hawaii Five O locations and more than 20 lost locations/scenes covered. From Lost alone, there are 4 sets/structures still in place to include two hatches. The tour has not changed one bit when it comes to Lost locations we visit. During the 6 years of filming, we did run into active sets/filming/actors from time to time, so that was always a bonus for our guest and guides. If we failed to bring you to the places we promised to as outlined on our web site, I would like to address this with your guide. We strive to deliver what we promise.

I am sorry about the AC in the hummer. The part was on order for more than 2 months. We tried to avoid using that hummer, but now and then we would have to at the last minute when we have mechanical problems with one of our other hummers. We have a choice: Run the tour or cancel at the last minute. In Feb, when you took your tour, it is not very hot out and we often do the whole two hour tour with the windows down. I am sorry if the AC problem caused you to be uncomfortable. I wish the guide was aware of you being uncomfortable and shut the AC off.

As for as the age of the hummers; You are right, they are old. They stopped making hummers 5 years ago so we cannot upgrade our fleet as we would like too. The priority is safety and reliability. Cleanliness and appearance come second. Again, I am sorry if we did not live up to your expectations when it comes to the hummers.

Last but not least, water and snack bars. Each hummer has a supply of water and snack bars. We normally do not hand them out unless asked by the guest. The guide is suppose to mention them at the beginning of the tour to let you know they are available.

Again, mahalo for your business and taking the time to address some issues with your tour.

Ed Kos
Watertown, Wisconsin, United States
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Absolutely worth the time and money!”
Reviewed 22 March 2013

We had Jeff as our driver who was very knowledgeable and fun! Had a GREAT time seeing the sights, and got incredible pictures. If you love the show "Lost" this is a must do! We did the 5 hour tour, which, while it didn't hit the "Lost beaches" that the longer one does, still had plenty of cool places to visit!

Visited March 2013
HUMMERHAWAII, Owner at KOS Tours, responded to this review, 25 March 2013
Glad you had a great time on the tour. Jeff does a great job and loves to show people a great time. Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Next time out, you will have to take the 8 hour tour. I am sure you will enjoy it. Mahalo for your business. Ed Kos