“5 hour "Lost" tour” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of KOS Tours

KOS Tours
Ranked #62 of 295 Outdoor Activities in Honolulu
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a Hummer tour company that takes guest to Lost, Movie and Hawaii Five-0 locations on the island of Oahu.
Idaho
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“5 hour "Lost" tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

My kids are huge Lost fans and so when we booked our trip to Hawaii, my wife noticed this company and booked a 5 hour tour with KOS Hummer tours. Our guide was Ricardo (spp?) and he picked us up at our hotel in Waikiki at exactly the time that he was scheduled to. As the tour was to mainly take place at Kualoa Ranch on the windward side of Oahu, we had about a 30-40 minute drive from our hotel to the ranch and Ricardo used that time to show us interesting sites from other movies and TV shows shot on the island. He stopped at all of the sites of Lost shoots along the way and had an in-depth knowledge of how the scenes were filmed, etc.. Once we arrived at the ranch, he checked us in, then proceeded with the off-road portion of the Tour. He showed us all of the Lost scenes on the ranch, as well as scenes from numerous movies that were shot on the island. He also took pictures of us and went out of his way to make it fun, to add his own funny props and angles on the photos he took. Obviously, as Lost is no longer an active series, the scenes and props can't remain there forever, but he did everything he could to help you visualize the scenes both for the series and for the movies that were shot on the ranch. All in all, it was a very enjoyable tour and I would recommend it to any and all "Lost" fans out there. Although I was tired of bouncing around and ready to go home by the end of the 5 hours, my family was sad that we hadn't purchased the 8 hour trip so they could see the more remote filming locations.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank SKfromID
HUMMERHAWAII, Owner at KOS Tours, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Riccardo loves to use the props on his tours. Makes the photos so much better. I am glad and your family had a great time on the tour. 5 hours fly by, but it can wear you out with sensory overload. I hope you will have some great memories about your tour and trip to Hawaii. Hope to see you back on the island someday. A big mahalo for taking the time to writing the review and your business. Aloha, Ed

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Brisbane, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Movies sites”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

I went with my nephew and niece (13 and 11) on this tour. My niece and nephew are big fans for "Lost".Our guide picked us at our hotel and commented all along with various stops including Kualoa Ranch.We enjoyed the tour very much and thanks to our guide Greg who was very knowledgeable and made it very interesting. The scenery was amazing. and it was very different when we were inland.

HUMMERHAWAII, Owner at KOS Tours, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to writing a review. I am glad you had a good time and that Greg was an informative guide. A big aloha for your business and we hope to see you back in the Islands soon. Mahalo, Ed
Melbourne Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Full Day Tour - Good not great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

My friend and I were doing a few weeks in Hawaii in June and decided to do the LOST tour as we had just finished rewatching the series on bluray and NEEDED to see some of that scenery. We decided to do the 8 hour tour, knowing that it didn't go into the ranch, but included other sites that we wanted to see and since we were not planning on getting a car - it seemed like a perfect way to see some other parts of the island.

Our tour guide picked us up around 9 and we were on our way with 2 other LOST fans. Our first stop was the house they used for Hurley's house. Our 2nd stop was the other house used as Hurley's house.
Then it was up the coast to a stop past Hanauma Bay where they filmed some cliff scenes. This was a quick stop and we didn't get out of the car, only looked at some screen caps and looked out the window.
We got out at another cliff site, they were gorgeous views, but not really that obvious as TV locations. It was worth the stop though. Then we stopped at a really nice foresty beach.
Our first really recognisable stop was at the Japanese Temple, where Sun and Jin got engaged. That was really cool and we had plenty of time to explore on our own.
We then drove past Chinamen's Hat and then onto the Lost survivor's camp site. That was pretty awesome and our tour guide gave us plenty of time there. We signed the guestbook and took tons of pictures. You could definitely see it, even though all the sets and props were long gone.
We then drove through 'Africa', 'Australia' and to the original crash site beach.
Then it was a quick trip down the road to the Camp where they filmed all the Other's barracks and Dharmaville stuff. This was definitely a favourite stop for me. With the other pair we took each other's pictures outside the cabins and strolled around looking for the smoke monster.
This was our last real stop on the tour. We did a quick stop at a services station where Sawyer taught Cassidy the cons. But it wasn't really noteworthy after the beach and camp.
We had extra time so we stopped for 20 minutes at the Dole Plantation on our way back to Waikiki. I do love that Dole Whip. However we were back at our hotel around 4:30pm. So it actually turned out to be less than an 8 hour tour. We had an hour and a half for lunch, which was excessive. The food was good, but seeing as we were the only people there it didn't take that long. And then we finished early.

Overall I think the 8 hour tour wasn't worth the extra money. Our tour guide spent a great deal of time telling the other two on our tour that they should come back and see all these places on their own when the rented a car the next day. I had a good time on the tour, but our tour guide didn't seem that enthusiastic, and there were no photo props or trivia like other reviews discussed. Also our confirmation said that water and snack bars were provided, but we never saw any.
I have to say, I find it odd that the 8 hour tour doesn't build on the 5 hour. We could have done without a few of the minor sites and done half the tour at the ranch, and then gone to the major beach sites and the camp. We knew it wasn't included and did the ranch on our own, where got to see plenty, but it would have been nice to have it included. Also we didn't go into the falls as listed on another person's full day review.

Based on other reviews, the 5 hour tour is the most popular. Our tour guide tried to talk us into also taking the 2 or 5 hour tour, but we didn't have extra time or money on this trip.
So while I did have a really good day looking at some memorable LOST sites, I think the 8 hour tour could be better.

2 Thank CarlieS
HUMMERHAWAII, Owner at KOS Tours, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
Thank you for a step by step review. I am sure other people will find this useful. We have made some changes over the years to your tours and we no longer go to Waimea Falls. We stopped going there at the end of 2011. In 2012 we did not run the 8 hour tour, but started it up again with changes in 2013. Sorry if you had the impression that Waimea Falls was on the tour. The current 8 hour tour covers more than 30 Lost scenes. Some more impressive than others. Some we don't get out at but most we do.

The tour is scheduled for 8 hours. Sometimes it last as little as 7 and as long as 9. It depends on the day of the week and flow of traffic. I sure hope we went to every location that we promised to take you.

We have 6 guides that work for KOS Tours. Each guide is different and personalizes their tour. Some guides us props. Some give trivia. Each guide has their own qualities. The tour is not designed to be cookie cutter, but designed to be efficient in time to show you as many places as we can within the 8 hours. I hope we delivered.

I hope you will have fond memories of your tour and your time in Hawaii. Thanks again for your business and taking the time to write a helpful review.

Aloha and Mahalo, Ed
Wilmette, Illinois
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Decent Tour-A Little Cheesy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013

My husband and I went on this tour with our three sons (ages 15, 13 and 7). Our guide was very good, and we loved seeing Kualoa Ranch and a great deal of other scenery. My husband and I were big fans of Lost. But, the show is obviously no longer airing, and although we thought it would be interesting to see some of the main "Lost settings", we were more interested in seeing areas of Oahu that we may not otherwise see as efficiently over the course of an afternoon. We covered a lot of ground. However, after a while, we were a little tired of visiting amazing sites, only to have overriding commentary being about the movie scenes that were shot there. Particularly when those sites were amazingly beautiful in geography and historically fascinating. We were very eager to hear about the history, culture and geography of the sites. And, for us, it would have been preferable to dial back the movie emphasis -- especially with respect to minor Lost scenes and scenes from B-movies we had never seen. We appreciated that there was a video playback of scenes from various movies that had been shot on the site where we visited. However, after a while, it seemed kind of backwards to watch movie scenes for the first time in order to visit that scene in reality. A few of the sites we visited had no purpose other than to point out the backdrop of a relatively inconsequential scene or movie, which seemed like somewhat of a waste. Perhaps the same tour could be offered to Lost & movie fanatics, but also offer a modified tour with the primary focus being on the history, culture and/or geography of the sites. Perhaps only the most "quintessential" scenes could be touched on as secondary to the sites themselves. We all enjoyed the tour. And, our three sons LOVED the 4-wheel driving that Ricardo took us on for a very off-road experience on Kualoa Ranch. It was bumpy, but the kids loved it.

HUMMERHAWAII, Owner at KOS Tours, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and your honest, constructive advice. It seem like you all had a good time on your tour and that Riccardo did an excellent job. It is a fine balance between movies, lost, Hawaii Five 0 and nature. We continue to make changes to our tours and new shows and movies come out. The 5 hour tour started out as a Movie tour but we added in Lost as they continued to film. Now we add in Hawaii Five 0 as they continue to film. Each group is different and we do our best to keep all parties on the tour entertained and educated. The first question we should ask you is "why are you on the tour" then modify what we can to meet your interests. I will put more emphasis on customizing the tour a little more due to your input. Thank you for your business and we hope you and your family will have great memories of your tour and your visit to Hawaii. Mahalo, Ed
Fort Worth, TX
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Only Way to Visit Kualoa Ranch!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013 via mobile

My family of 4, including 10 and 14 year old daughters, recently took the 2 hour tour. We drove to Kualoa Ranch for our tour. Our guide met us there. Our tour was solely at the ranch and we loved it. Gorgeous scenery, knowledgeable guide, various stops along the way. We saw the bus tours, but there was no way they could visit the locations we were able to with the hummer. Had a fabulous time. Thank you Ed and crew!

1 Thank sphill1tx
HUMMERHAWAII, Owner at KOS Tours, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
Glad you had a great time on your tour. Kualoa Ranch is a great place to visit wether with KOS Tours or taking a tour with Kualoa Ranch. Our guides do their best to entertain and educate people on the tour. The two hour tour, which you took, is none stop locations and goes by quickly. Thank you for your business and a big mahalo for taking the time to write the review.