“Very Disappointing!”

Ranked #11 of 11 Vicksburg B&B and Inns
Flint, Texas, United States
“Very Disappointing!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

My wife and I traveled to Vicksburg to attend a 4-day national reunion and booked a room at the Annabelle Inn. As the time for our trip grew closer, my wife became concerned about the number of negative reviews she had read online regarding this establishment. We decided to cancel our reservation and stay at another B&B with other members from our group. The website for the Annabelle states that cancelations must be made 7 days prior to arrival. Our scheduled check in was for Wednesday July 17th and I phoned on Wednesday July 10th to cancel. I spoke with Carolyn and was informed that Wednesday to Wednesday did not constitute 7 days, and that I would still be responsible for the full 4 nights. I went ahead and canceled hoping that she was bluffing and would not attempt to charge me for the room. Wrong, she charged my debit card within minutes of our phone conversation! At this point my only option was to call her and ask for my reservation back. When I did, she had a very smug attitude, “Gee, I don’t know, let me get to my computer and see if there is anything I can do for you. I’ll probably need for you to book the room again”. To say that I was anger at this point is an understatement! I held my tongue and eventually, she did reinstate my original reservation, but I had to call her twice more to get a confirmation that showed that I had already been billed for the room and would not be billed again.

When we arrived, our first impression from the street was that it was a nice historic home. This impression would soon fade as soon as we entered the main house and the first thing that caught my eye was the cracking and peeling ceiling plaster in the parlor.

Our room was in the guesthouse next door, and our impression did not improve when we entered the door. We found a number of maintenance issues that need to be corrected:
1. The building has settled badly and caused uneven floors, and doors, that require you to slam them and use your foot against the bottom to close.
2. Shower diverter was not working properly and would not completely shut off.
3. Bathroom exhaust fan did not work.
4. Carpet looks old and dirty.
5. Several light bulbs were out.
6. The “wall mount” emergency light was sitting on the floor by the door and connected to a wall receptacle with a power cord.

It is also apparent that cost is the prime consideration when repairs have been made. Two examples of this are the peel and stick floor tile that was installed in the bathroom. It looks cheap, is badly gapped, and coming loose from the substrate. The other is the use of modern polished brass hardware to replace original parts. Again it looks cheap and takes away from the historic feel.

The pool is in desperate need of repainting and does not appear to be compliant with the Virginia Graeme Baker act of 2008. Virginia was a little girl that drowned after being sucked to a pool drain and was unable to get free. All public pools (hotels, B&Bs, and apartments included) are now required to have anti-entrapment drain covers, and a vacuum release system installed. The pool furniture is the cheap plastic type and does nothing to enhance the visual appeal.

Parking is another issue as the one driveway is frequently blocked forcing you to back out and park on the street. When not blocked, parking is behind the guesthouse and you must maneuver through very tight spaces to get in and out.

The Annabelle is next to a very active railroad track and trains pass by about every hour or so each night. The whistles are loud enough to wake the soundest of sleepers and the provided earplugs are no help. The owners keep saying that the city is working to close the crossing there at Speed street and eliminate the need for the trains to sound their whistles, but I wouldn’t expect this to happen anytime soon.

There is no WiFi here and the cellular coverage for this area is almost non-existent. When in our room, we had no service and had to walk outside to place phone calls.

Again, our room was in the guesthouse, but we understand that if you stay in the main house, you do not get a key to the front door. The owners live upstairs and you are required to ring the doorbell to be let in.

The only good things to report about this establishment are the breakfast and Paul.
Paul is an exceptionaly nice gentleman and very attentive to the needs of his guest. During our stay he got up early to serve breakfast at 7am instead of the normal 9am in order to accommodate the reunion attendees. The breakfast was very good and the settings were very elegant! Unfortunately, this is not enough to offset the poor location and poor upkeep to get my recommendation to stay here.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank John T
grammy6, Manager at Annabelle Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
It is never our desire to not meet a guest's expectations. I sincerely wish this guest had brought his concerns to our attention during his stay. We can do nothing to solve a problem after the guest has left . I am pleased that some things met expectations- Paul is an exceptionaly nice gentleman and very attentive to the needs of his guest. During our stay he got up early to serve breakfast at 7am instead of the normal 9am in order to accommodate the reunion attendees. The breakfast was very good and the settings were very elegant!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Summerville, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

We stayed in the beautiful rose room in the main house and it was beautifully done and quite comfortable.

Paul had a great breakfast for us each morning.

i agree with the other contributors about the railroad noise but it didn't really bother us that much.
What was bothersome was the smoke residue from the owners' son who was staying up stairs. My wife is extremely allergic to cigarette smoke and we were assured that there was no smoking in the house even after we asked about the smell. Then we were told it might be due to the son.

Parking is limited and the house is not in a very good neighborhood. Some maintenance needed particularly with porch lighting and lighting in the bathroom.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
We are pleased you enjoyed your stay.
Bentley
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

My husband and I enjoyed our stay at Annabelle. Paul was quite helpful with picking restaurants and a very pleasant host. We did not have much contact with his wife, but we had an awesome time visiting with him each morning. The trains did not disturb our sleep too much and as other contributors explained they do offer earplugs. (They can not control that the house is next to train tracks, but they do their best to help it be a tolerable sleeping environment). The pool looked pretty clean, but we did not have an opportunity to use it. We felt the history attached to the room in the servant/slave quarters that we stayed in. Breakfast each morning was four star!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
We are happy you enjoyed your stay at Annabelle and your time in Vicksburg.
Auburn, Alabama
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2012

Don't stay here if you want to sleep. The property is adjacent to a railroad crossing. The crossing doesn't have a gate, so the train engineer is required to sound the horn at each passing. Since the crossing is only 30 yards from your room, the horn sounds like it's coming from the closet. The next morning, when I asked for a refund of our second night's stay and we would check out, the proprietor refused. We ended up leaving anyway. Their website is misleading, also. It displays a price, but then after I made the reservation, I received a confirmation e-mail stating that the price was $30 higher if paid by credit card. I usually avoid businesses that charge extra for using a credit card, but by then it was too late, I would've been charged for cancelling within the 7 day window. Trickery, in my view. The breakfast was good, but nothing positive can offset a poor night's sleep. The proprietor let be known that they were getting out of the B&B business, and it showed. Poor experience overall.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Richard M
It is unfortunate we were unable to satisfy this guest.

Travellers are raving about these Vicksburg hotels

Tulsa, Oklahoma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2012

My wife & I travel frequently and try to book B&Bs when possible. Rarely are we disappointed. Unfortunately this was not a good experience. We stayed in the Annex. It's old, poorly maintained and smells damp. The proprietors try to mask this by using room deodorizers. I had an allergic reaction. The room was not clean. Baseboards throughout were dirty. The dust layer on the heater/ac controls was thick. The tv was an old tube set with perhaps a 12 inch screen. Internet signal was weak and constantly cut out. Towels were nice as was bedding, but amenities sparse, Bed too soft for my comfort, but wife was ok with it. Maybe rooms in the house proper are better; we didn't see them. The proprietors are planning to sell, and perhaps this explains the deferred maintenance. On the other hand, breakfast was well served. OJ, yoghurt, scrambled eggs, biscuits, sausage, and excellent cheesy garlic grits. On the plus side, owners knowledgeable about area's attractions and restaurants.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the annex.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Les N
Iowa City, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2012

We stayed in the Natchez Suite, I got the bedroom and my adult son and his dog the sofabed in the parlor. One bath. There is a kitchen, but we didn't use it for our 2-night stay.
The hostess, Carolyn, loaned us a tour CD for our visit to the battlefield, and was helpful in suggesting restaurants with patio seating where the dog would be allowed. The innkeepers have pets of their own, and were very welcoming of ours.
We found the suite quite comfortable, nicely furnished, and especially enjoyed sitting on the veranda.
Trains are nearby, I slept through their whistles, but earplugs are provided just in case. I've stayed in Vicksburg before, and always where the trains are audible, so it was no surprise.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Appleton City, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

We didn't stay at Annabelle, but we did take the tour. When you see these old mansions you want, & expect, to tour the whole thing. Not so here! We only toured four downstairs rooms as they are living in the rest of the house & don't show it. The rooms we toured were furnished with mostly period pieces & the dining room table was decorated lavishly. The tour guide was very friendly & informative, but the price was the highest of the 3 homes we toured & we saw less of this house than the others.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple