“Not an impressive property”

Quality Inn & Suites
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Walla Walla
Washington State
“Not an impressive property”
Reviewed 28 February 2011

Not up to the level of other La Quinta properties i've stayed at. Indoor pool was a plus but the area needed a good deep clean and the Hot tub was more like a cool tub. Good location but right next to main Hwy so some traffic noise. Rooms spacious, with fridge and microwave but lacking in such modern amenties as accessible power outlets. No central HVAC means you have to keep the noisy wall heater on all night to stay warm. Walls and floors/ceilings are thin so you hear all the activity from neighboring rooms and hallways. Art , lightbulbs and functional tv remote were all missing. Mold growing in shower and the hot water system was broken hotel-wide on our second night.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
NorthEast Oregon
Reviewed 21 January 2011

Rooms are not improved as some LQ are. The lobby has sofa and fireplace-which looks impressive for a motel, but the rooms are from the 70's! We were there with our child-who looks fwd to swimming after a day out. However that Saturday nt we kept hearing loud kids running around in the lobby and down the halls. We discovered the pool was over-crowded with a large b-day group the motel had rented out for a Mexican b-day party to local residences. Appalling! An employee had friends that blocked the front driveway (needed for dropping psgrs) and then again thia happened by the mgr.! Wld never stay there again!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank TeamOhana

Travellers are raving about these Walla Walla hotels

Anacortes, WA
Reviewed 14 January 2011

After reading reviews, I didn't have high expectations for this hotel. I thought it would be ok for one night, and the price happened to be considerable lower than other hotels for this particular night.
But on arrival, we were pleased with the appearance of the lobby and the kindnesses of the clerk on check in. We were very tired and hungry from the long drive from Northwest Washington. She recommended Jacobi's restaurant next door, it was just across the parking lot, no need to get back in the car. It was good, and featured local wines... a real treat for us since our stay was so short we didn't have time to visit wineries.
The bed was very comfortable, the room was nothing fancy, but clean and quiet. That's all we required, and we were very pleased.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dmouse
Shoreline, Washington, USA
Reviewed 27 September 2010

It was an ok place to stay if you must stay in Walla Walla, as walla walla is not really a "Vacation" toen. All the stores,shops,bars close at 6pm on fri/sat nights. But the pool is open all night. The rooms were clean, and the free included breakfst was nice! The rates are a bit high in summertime though.

Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Owensboro
Reviewed 31 August 2010

After 15 hours of travel to reach Walla Walla, I finally checked in, careful to confirm the rate I had been given for my 10 day stay. I was first assigned one of their "basement rooms", but a transfer request was accommodated and I moved to the front (west side). Because of heat and street noise there, I asked for another transfer the next day, This was to be my undoing and source of trouble later, as my discounted rate was then changed to "rack or best available" for days 2-10 (unbeknownst to me until checkout time).

Among problems which I experienced:
1) Power strip: There was none on the desk (useful for charging both my cellphone and computer, if a wanted to keep the desk lamp plugged in). Management seemed to not know what a "power strip" was. "We' ll look for one" I was told, but heard nothing more of it.
2) Dirt: I needed to clean above the closet addition before storing anything there. The sidewalk near the side door contained several months worth of bird droppings. Probably last cleaned with the winter snow.
3) Maintenance: Key entry for the side door worked only 3 of 10 days I was there. A real hoot was the bureau under the TV cabinet. Of three drawers, only one worked -- another stuck halfway open and the third fell off the rail when opened. Fortunately, I had some bike tools and my bottle opener to bend them enough to restore some functionality.
4) Construction: Agree with other's observation that the floor joists seem lightweight with minimal insulation between floors. I could hear everyone walking in the room above and could guess their weights. The framed closet (obviously not part of the original design) had doors that would not close if my suitcase was placed on the open stand. To close the doors, I put the suitcase and stand in the far corner of the room. Not very stylish, but who cares at this point?
5) Clerical competence: The coup-de-grace was the bill slid under my door at 5am on the day of checkout, just before I was to leave for the airport. Only 1 of 10 nights were correctly charged -- the other 9 were TWICE what I had been originally quoted. The unhelpful night clerk said he could do nothing except staple the manager's card to my bill. "Call her when you get home", he advised. Now four phone calls and two days later, I finally have received a revised bill; that while still incorrect, at least is no longer an $800 overage. (I think it is still $20-30 more than I had been quoted, but I no longer have my detailed ratesheet for proof, as I discarded it when I confirming the total rate upon checkin.)
6) Internet: Worked most days, but when down, the front desk staff was unaware of the problem or how to fix it. Took hours to get it back up. I could not tell if this was due to the hotel or their ISP, but neither could the front desk.

Overall, a decent hotel for <$50/night, but not what you would expect from a La Quinta. I learned from their website that they are now owned by Blackstone Group. Their press releases describe two types of La Quinta inns: "new construction" and "conversions". I believe this hotel is clearly one of the latter. Based on my experience here, I would judge them to fit the classic LBO profile: a slickly-advertised, debt-laden and cash-starved shell of a company.

As for alternatives in Walla Walla, I highly recommend the adjacent Best Western, where I stayed last year. I also visited the Budget Inn (during day 2 of this trip) and spoke with the owner there. I was tempted to move then, but inertia prevailed.

Another moral of my story is that I could have avoided the entire billing hassle if I had booked with Expedia, as I initially planned. Just before doing do so, however, I remembered a 20% discount coupon from La Quinta, so I called them to compare rates. My mistake: the coupon rate totalled $5 less than the Expedia rate, so I went with it. Ah, the lesson of experience!

Would I stay here again? I think not.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
Martinez, CA
Reviewed 2 June 2010

I am happy to give any room that smells nice an extra star or two! There is nothing I hate more than a smelly room like the one I had at the Days Inn last night in Bend. The smell just makes me feel dirty.

The room was nicely done but needed a little updating. It was a quiet room and spacious. The hot tub wasn't all that hot and that was disappointing since I went to the humiliation of buying a new suit before our trip to Wally World.

The dead bolt didn't work in the room. The iron worked very nicely tho. There were plastic cups instead of glass ones. I skipped the coffee after having some of yesterday's poisonous motel room coffee. Check in was a breeze and was handled very efficiently by the young man at the front desk.

The bed and linens were quite nice and I liked the fluffiness of the towels.

Breakfast was typical: hard boiled eggs, make it yourself waffles, cereal, fruit and juices. Definitely did the trick and saved a trip to another stop before we headed out for the wedding we were there to attend.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Washington State
Reviewed 25 April 2010

Got our room for $63 on Priceline. The room was very, very basic, but exceptionally clean. Served our purposes just fine. My daughter visited Whitman College, while I hung out at La Quinta and read Vanity Fair. If you need a non-luxury room, this fits the bill.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family