“Wonderful historic hotel”

Marcus Whitman Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Walla Walla
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Stayed here last month in the tower. the room was fantastic, very quiet. The hotel is within walking distance to most downtown wineries. We had dinner there twice and it was fantastic. I thought the breakfast buffet was terrific. I would definitely go back there.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,764)

Reviewed 19 March 2014

My husband and I expressed an interest in the architecture of this 1928 building and the front desk called James who took us on a brief tour. The otis elevator, period furniture, and beautiful lobby make this hotel unique and a great place to base wine tasting activities in Walla Walla.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We have stayed at the Marcus Whitman on several occasions, including quick business trips and an anniversary. The hotel, staff, service, and dining never fail to impress.

Rooms are well appointed, scrupulously clean, thoughtfully laid out and oh so comfortable.

Dining and drinks options from the appetizers and custom cocktails in the lounge to the full Chef's tasting menu with wine pairings are delightful and delicious.

The hotel is within walking distance to the attractive and fun shops and restaurants downtown, which make for a nice evening stroll and options for so low key entertainment as many of the local gastro-pubs offer live music at night. Wine tasting rooms abound in downtown, including several attached to the hotel. This is a great getaway hotel which also serves as a terrific, rejuvenating business stop.

Room Tip: Tower rooms have amazing views!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

Convenient location while visiting Whitman College. Walking distance to school and downtown area. The Marc restaurant in the hotel has great food and we enjoyed treating our son's college friends to a nice dinner.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank yokosw
Reviewed 15 March 2014

My company had a 2-day conference here last week. Talk about perfect!! The hotel rooms were great, and the conference went off without a hitch. Not only was the food fabulous, but the service was top-notch. Even when there were changes in the plans, their comment was, "No problem," and they meant it. Each staff member was professional, helpful, and fun to work with. Many went above and beyond what was required, such as Chris, Andrea, Edie, Brent, Edson, Jonathan, and Therese. Will definitely hold another conference here again!!

Room Tip: Back of hotel away from 2nd Ave & Rose
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 March 2014

when my wife told me we were going to Walla Walla for our 35th anniversary is said "Where are we staying? The Marcus Whitman?". She asked how i knew and i said that it was by far the best place in town. Jonathan Grant and the entire staff made us feel welcome and special. i cannot emphasize enough how impressed we were. Our meal at the Marc was off the chart good and the room was fantastic. our sincere thanks to the entire staff for making a special occasion even more so. Cheers! Ed & Deborah Spencer, Portland

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 March 2014

This is a prime example of amazing customer service. Please read on. My reservation was for tonight (through Expedia), I thought. I was so excited to finally stay at the Marcus Whitman hotel. Every time I have been to visit Whitman College for my kids, this hotel is sold out. Tonight was the night I was finally going to get to stay at this landmark.

My husband and son waited in the car while I went to check in. I walked in to one of the most gorgeous hotel lobbies I had ever seen. It looked like a lot of important things had gone down here! On the other side of a lobby, a handsome man with a huge smile greeted me, as if I was a guest they had anticipated! I told him I was so excited to be FINALLY staying here. A bit of background on me..... I own a medical spa in Bellevue, Washington, and it is extremely difficult to find employees who value customer service. Right away....I wanted to steal this employee, fly him to Bellevue, and have him manage my entire office. After Jonathan was searching for my last name multiple times, and multiple times NOT finding it in the system, I started to get nervous that this hotel had made a terrible mistake. Finally, Jonanthan found my name NEXT Saturday.

Anyone in customer service knows that it is important to make the customer feel that they are ALWAYS right. However, this feat is rarely accomplished. While, I am POSITIVE that I am the one who made the mistake and clicked on the next Saturday in Expedia, Jonathan continued to apologize and say that this happens sometimes. Even after I looked up my confirmation email clearly stating the next Saturday, Jonathan continued to tell me not to worry and that he would make sure I had a place to say.

Jonathan checked on a few things at the Marcus Whitman, trying to figure out some way I could still stay at the hotel even though they were entirely booked. He kept telling me not to worry, as he gracefully also was able to help other people coming up to the front desk (not an easy task). After many attempts of trying to find a way to have my family still get a room, Jonathan proceeded to call other hotels and ask them for a "huge favor". He said, "I have a really great guest who needs a place to stay with her family and her very well-behaved dog" (side note: Jonathan didn't know anything about my dog and he is a pomeranian who is anything BUT well-behaved. He then proceeded to say, "If you help her, I will make sure and owe you one." I felt VERY special. A room finally was available at another hotel AND accepted pooches! I was in luck.

Like a skilled magician, Jonathan proceeded to pull out a gorgeous bottle or red wine. He gave it to me and asked me to please come back to the Marcus Whitman sometime. He handed me his card, asked me to call him personally, and that he would take care of me. All the while, he continued to have a smile ear to ear! He actually looked like he was enjoying his job---taking care of people. While this seems like a skill that should be abundant, it is not. Employees like Jonathan, at ANY level, at ANY type of business are rare.

It was just something about the way he handled this entire process; while I can't exactly put my finger on it,......I can safely state that Jonathan has the "X Factor" in superb customer service. And this type of customer service leads to successful business and repeat guests. I will definitely be one of those guests one day.

This is a prime example of how a mix up could have (and most likely without Jonathan, WOULD have) gone bad. I never write reviews but I felt compelled to do so this time. The Marcus Whitman has won the employee lottery by having this guy running their front office.

Thank you Jonanthan. Hopefully my son gets that theater scholarship at Whitman and I will be back many times over the years! Next time, I will make sure I don't go through Expedia but that I call you directly. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Jennifer Washburn