“A true five star hotel,”

Marcus Whitman Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Walla Walla
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 23 March 2014

My wife and came here for our anniversary and this hotel exceeded all our expectations! Check in was quick and they accommodated our early arrival. We booked one of the "value king" rooms, which was nice but a bit small. Our room was on the far corner and we immediately found problems connecting to the internet. We called the front desk and they reset their router, but still no connection. I ended up taking my ipad down to front desk it connected with no problem. The manager on duty, johnathon, came to the rescue! He promptly moved us to a suite and personally escorted me to the room to ensure no internet problems. He also called a short time later to ensure we were good with the room. I was really impressed with the professional customer orientation of this hotel staff. There's more! The manager not only gave us the upgrade room for the same price, but he also deducted $30 from our bill for the inconvenience. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the tower rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,748)

Reviewed 20 March 2014

Beautiful historic hotel. Stayed in the tower with its adorably decorated rooms. The rooms are clean and the bed is comfortable with lots of pillow choices. Staff are friendly and the conference room staff are helpful. Breakfast buffet for the conference rooms was very good with eggs, potatoes, bacon, fresh fruit!, and muffins. The only thing I didn't like was the doors to the conference rooms were very loud if someone went in and out during the sessions. (used the Lewis & Clark rooms I think.)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 March 2014

This is a beautiful hotel in the town I grew up in and have lived for 20 years. While the hotel has been beautifully remodeled and is the most sought after in town, the management seems to take advantage of this. When inquiring about holding my 500+ wedding reception in one of the hotels ballrooms (because we needed more space than our current venue), we were informed that it was already booked. Understandable 6 months out, for a June wedding. We stopped by the hotel in person more recently to inquire about any possible cancellations and the Events Director, Edie, scoffed and said, "Weddings of the caliber we hold here do not "cancel". She then suggested some dilapidated second choices that we could attempt to put together at "such short notice." She went on to inform us of which family in town was holding their wedding there and that they were well known in the community, and that many would be attending this social event. She did a great job of making my mother and I, locals, feel like second class citizens. Especially when she instructed us to use to the service elevator down the hall where there were kitchen items being stored. Big thumbs down... and I'll be sure that any friends getting married in Walla Walla in the future are well informed.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Lindseykei
AGMMWHCC, Manager at Marcus Whitman Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear Lindsey,

My name is Dan Leeper, and I am the Assistant General Manager of The Marcus Whitman Hotel & Conference Center. Firstly, Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. It is always an exciting and sometimes anxious time when planning a wedding. Thank you for considering our property, I am sorry that we were already booked. Our busy season calendar fills up quickly and well in advance, so we are very sorry that we could not help host your event.
With this busy time in your life, I want to thank you very much for taking the time to review our property.
I am very sorry that your interactions with our staff did not up to our high standards. We pride ourselves on providing “Exceptional Guest Experiences for ever Guest” and we let you down. We do not consider any guest as “Second Class” and value all of our visitors. I will be speaking at our Staff meeting this week about the need to always slow down and take the time to fully serve our guests. I believe that the staff was trying to help and it might have come across wrong.
Exceptional guest experiences for every guest are something all employees here at The Marcus Whitman Hotel ensure to each and every guest.
Again, thank you for your review of the hotel. Your input, and the feedback from all of our guests is important to us and we always want guest expectations to be met.
Please call my direct line if you would like to talk further about your visit. We hope to see you again in the future and you can reach me directly at (509) 524-5105, if I can be of any assistance.
Dan Leeper
Assistant General Manager
Marcus Whitman Hotel and Conference Center

Reviewed 19 March 2014

Stayed here last month in the tower. the room was fantastic, very quiet. The hotel is within walking distance to most downtown wineries. We had dinner there twice and it was fantastic. I thought the breakfast buffet was terrific. I would definitely go back there.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 March 2014

My husband and I expressed an interest in the architecture of this 1928 building and the front desk called James who took us on a brief tour. The otis elevator, period furniture, and beautiful lobby make this hotel unique and a great place to base wine tasting activities in Walla Walla.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We have stayed at the Marcus Whitman on several occasions, including quick business trips and an anniversary. The hotel, staff, service, and dining never fail to impress.

Rooms are well appointed, scrupulously clean, thoughtfully laid out and oh so comfortable.

Dining and drinks options from the appetizers and custom cocktails in the lounge to the full Chef's tasting menu with wine pairings are delightful and delicious.

The hotel is within walking distance to the attractive and fun shops and restaurants downtown, which make for a nice evening stroll and options for so low key entertainment as many of the local gastro-pubs offer live music at night. Wine tasting rooms abound in downtown, including several attached to the hotel. This is a great getaway hotel which also serves as a terrific, rejuvenating business stop.

Room Tip: Tower rooms have amazing views!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

Convenient location while visiting Whitman College. Walking distance to school and downtown area. The Marc restaurant in the hotel has great food and we enjoyed treating our son's college friends to a nice dinner.

• Stayed: March 2014