“Nice hotel for a small town”

Marcus Whitman Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Walla Walla
GreenLeadersGold level
Bellingham, Washington
“Nice hotel for a small town”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I stayed here three years ago and had the best and most memorable breakfasts of any hotel breakfast in all my travels. For that reason, I chose this hotel for my recent trip, even though their rates were higher than other options. I'll never forget their wonderful eggs benedict at breakfast....what a disappointment... because they no longer serve them. They also ran out of homemade yogurt and a number of other items. It seems to have joined the ranks of a nice hotel with a average buffet breakfast. It's a good location at downtown Walla Walla but there are others close by with much lower rack rates.

Room Tip: The bathrooms in the newer wing are tiny.....only one person at a time and then it's difficult t...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
AGMMWHCC, General Manager at Marcus Whitman Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear J S,

I am Dan Leeper, the Assistant General Manager at the Marcus Whitman Hotel and Conference Center.
I am glad that your first stay was so memorable that you returned again. Our Hot & Healthy Breakfast is one of our guest’s favorite amenities that are included with thier stay. Our overall Food and Beverage philosophy is based on local, regional and seasonal selections. We change the menu periodically to match the season and local product availability. The house made Yogurt is very popular, so we should have been planning ahead and not have ran out, we will talk about this in our Food and Beverage meeting this week. Again I would like to thank you for returning and writing a review of your experience. Give me a call and let us know what we can do to “Make it right”. You can contact me at (509) 524-5105 or agm@mwhcc.com

Dan Leeper
Assistant General Manager
Marcus Whitman Hotel and Conference Center

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
Ashland, Oregon
Reviewed 7 April 2014

The Marcus Whitman is a beautiful old hotel, beautifully restored. It successfully combines the elegance and graciousness of an earlier time with the best benefits of the present. We had a lovely view of downtown Walla Walla and the countryside beyond from our corner room. The bed was very comfortable. Most impressive, though, was the staff. The desk clerk was particularly outstanding: warm, helpful, attentive and professional. We wanted to explore on foot a bit rather than try the hotel's restaurant and the desk clerk recommended a place nearby that was just what we were looking for. We had a wonderful dessert in the bar after we returned. The buffet breakfast was very good. The location is convenient: a short walk to Whitman College (where we were visiting), and many restaurants and shops are even closer. We also appreciated the hotel's emphasis on local food and the environment. We will definitely stay at the Marcus Whitman next time we visit.

Room Tip: We paid a bit more to stay in the original tower because we love old hotels. The clerk was very help...
Green Features: We look for hotels that trying to decrease the huge footprint that travelers can have on the environment. We were happy to find real cups and glasses in the room and NO STYROFOAM! Thank you. We also eat locally when we are home and appreciate the opportunity to do the same when we travel.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
MarketingMWHCC, Manager at Marcus Whitman Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Fafnerb - Thank you for the all around wonderful review. We pry ourselves on “exceptional guest experiences for every guest,” and appreciate you taking the time to write about how “outstanding” our staff is. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

The Marcus Whitman Hotel Management Team
Liberty Lake, Washington
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We just returned from a weekend of wine tasting and once again found this to be a superior hotel. Centrally located for stumbling back to your room after visiting the many (soon to be 29) wineries downtown, this hotel met all of our needs. Top notch staff and service, check in is a breeze and if you get there at the right time, they have fresh made cookies hot from the oven for you. We stayed in a suite and had a large room with a comfy sitting area and a comfortable bed and pillows. The bathroom was large enough that we didn't rub elbows much getting ready in the morning. No problems with the Wi-fi either. We have been staying here for years and it seems to get better each time. The restaurant is stellar for dinner (reviewed separately) and they have a nice hot brunch bar.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
San Bernardino, California
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We had an opportunity to stay for the night at the Marcus Whitman Hotel and I was very impressed with the hotel, the food, and the staff. The manager, Jonathon Grant, was incredibly helpful and polite and he made our stay there amazing. I would highly recommend staying at this hotel and anytime we have an opportunity to travel to Walla Walla, I will definitely make the Whitman my first choice.

Room Tip: I really liked the view from the upper floors
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed 23 March 2014

My wife and came here for our anniversary and this hotel exceeded all our expectations! Check in was quick and they accommodated our early arrival. We booked one of the "value king" rooms, which was nice but a bit small. Our room was on the far corner and we immediately found problems connecting to the internet. We called the front desk and they reset their router, but still no connection. I ended up taking my ipad down to front desk it connected with no problem. The manager on duty, johnathon, came to the rescue! He promptly moved us to a suite and personally escorted me to the room to ensure no internet problems. He also called a short time later to ensure we were good with the room. I was really impressed with the professional customer orientation of this hotel staff. There's more! The manager not only gave us the upgrade room for the same price, but he also deducted $30 from our bill for the inconvenience. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the tower rooms.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Beautiful historic hotel. Stayed in the tower with its adorably decorated rooms. The rooms are clean and the bed is comfortable with lots of pillow choices. Staff are friendly and the conference room staff are helpful. Breakfast buffet for the conference rooms was very good with eggs, potatoes, bacon, fresh fruit!, and muffins. The only thing I didn't like was the doors to the conference rooms were very loud if someone went in and out during the sessions. (used the Lewis & Clark rooms I think.)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Walla Walla, Washington
Reviewed 20 March 2014

This is a beautiful hotel in the town I grew up in and have lived for 20 years. While the hotel has been beautifully remodeled and is the most sought after in town, the management seems to take advantage of this. When inquiring about holding my 500+ wedding reception in one of the hotels ballrooms (because we needed more space than our current venue), we were informed that it was already booked. Understandable 6 months out, for a June wedding. We stopped by the hotel in person more recently to inquire about any possible cancellations and the Events Director, Edie, scoffed and said, "Weddings of the caliber we hold here do not "cancel". She then suggested some dilapidated second choices that we could attempt to put together at "such short notice." She went on to inform us of which family in town was holding their wedding there and that they were well known in the community, and that many would be attending this social event. She did a great job of making my mother and I, locals, feel like second class citizens. Especially when she instructed us to use to the service elevator down the hall where there were kitchen items being stored. Big thumbs down... and I'll be sure that any friends getting married in Walla Walla in the future are well informed.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Lindseykei
AGMMWHCC, Manager at Marcus Whitman Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Lindsey,

My name is Dan Leeper, and I am the Assistant General Manager of The Marcus Whitman Hotel & Conference Center. Firstly, Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. It is always an exciting and sometimes anxious time when planning a wedding. Thank you for considering our property, I am sorry that we were already booked. Our busy season calendar fills up quickly and well in advance, so we are very sorry that we could not help host your event.
With this busy time in your life, I want to thank you very much for taking the time to review our property.
I am very sorry that your interactions with our staff did not up to our high standards. We pride ourselves on providing “Exceptional Guest Experiences for ever Guest” and we let you down. We do not consider any guest as “Second Class” and value all of our visitors. I will be speaking at our Staff meeting this week about the need to always slow down and take the time to fully serve our guests. I believe that the staff was trying to help and it might have come across wrong.
Exceptional guest experiences for every guest are something all employees here at The Marcus Whitman Hotel ensure to each and every guest.
Again, thank you for your review of the hotel. Your input, and the feedback from all of our guests is important to us and we always want guest expectations to be met.
Please call my direct line if you would like to talk further about your visit. We hope to see you again in the future and you can reach me directly at (509) 524-5105, if I can be of any assistance.
Dan Leeper