“though historic and well sited, our room was hum drum & pricey.”

Marcus Whitman Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Walla Walla
GreenLeadersGold level
seattle, washington
“though historic and well sited, our room was hum drum & pricey.”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Maybe I'm getting thriftier as I age. Next time I visit Walla Walla I will shop around and find a better deal. Our room was $190/night! for a king sized bed in a tired room in the 5 or 6 story annex of the old hotel. Yes this included a lavish buffet breakfast for two, but I ask myself, who needs it, really? Room was small, clean with fine bed.

Room Tip: ask for room away from elevators.
3 Thank NWroamer11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
WASHINGTON
Reviewed 24 April 2014

This was our 2nd time to stay at the Marc, exceptional hotel in all ways. The staff really makes an effort to assure you have a perfect experience. Check-in was smooth, our room in perfect condition, the restaurant food and service excellent. The overall feeling in the hotel is warm and inviting.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We had been advised to request a room in the "old" hotel, and were glad we did. The room was clean and well equipped - okay, it had a corkscrew to go with the wine glasses :) And they welcomed my husband playing the grand piano in the lobby, something many other places don't allow. Will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the old hotel
Seattle
Reviewed 19 April 2014

My husband and I travelled to Walla Walla for a "get away" to celebrate our 43rd wedding anniversary. What a grand time we had. We stayed at the Marcus Whitman Hotel which was first class ALL THE WAY. We were checked into the hotel by Jeremy and Erika who did a splendid job. I say that because upon arrival I requested a room in the "Tower". We had one reserved in the west wing which was fine, but I wanted something special and in spite of the" on the spot" request, Erika was able to book us into a wonderful room with a huge spa tub. In Jeremy's defense, I am sure he would have done the same, but being new on the job he hasn't yet learned all the tricks of the trade that Erika displayed. But clearly he will. Erika went out of her way to find us the splendid room we finally wound up with. Then upon Erika's suggestion and with extraordinary guidance from Valerie the Food Manager/lead server, we experienced the Chef's Table for our anniversary dinner. At first I wasn't going to do it. It's where the chef prepares a 4 or 5 (or more if desired) course meal just for you. Well between my husband & I we have a BUCKET load of food intolerances. We shared that with Valerie and she not only assured us that was not a problem she actually had us meet Executive Sous Chef Dean, who seemed completely unfazed (thankfully) by the list of food intolerances. He assured us as well, it wasn't a problem. So on the night of our anniversary dinner, Chef Dean designed and prepared an AMAZING and DELICIOUS dinner that was allergy free. What a joy!!!! The hotel believes in farm to table as much as possible which only added to the pure delight of this meal. Valerie paired each course with a delicious wine. The woman has a knack for such things and clearly Dean is a gifted chef. Last but not least, Troy (the pastry chef) created a gluten free dessert with strawberry mousse among other things. Again, delicious can't really capture how wonderful his dessert was. In conclusion, my husband and I were treated like royalty by every single staff person we encountered. All the people are sincere and passionate about what they do. If you haven't made plans to visit Walla Walla, consider putting it on your list. And staying at the Marcus Whitman Hotel is not only a must, it will be the highlight of your trip. Thanks to you all for a memorable and terrific time. j&scal

Room Tip: The west wing rooms are well appointed, but I definitely liked staying the "Tower" which i...
Seguin, Texas
Reviewed 15 April 2014

The hotel staff greeted you with a smile as soon as you walk in the door and was extremely helpful with directions. The rooms were very comfortable and clean. I would have no hesitation to stay here again and again.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are good.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Maple Valley, Washington
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We had a king tower deluxe suite. Overall the room was nice and comfortable. I selected the suite because it had a jetted tub. Only problem was the tub was in the middle of the room by the bed! Kinda weird but it was my husband and me so we managed. I would definitely stay here again but not bother with the suite. Staff was super nice and friendly. Loved the Vineyard Lounge! Bartender was very nice.
Also breakfast was included in the price of the room and it was good. No room service however.

Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I stayed here three years ago and had the best and most memorable breakfasts of any hotel breakfast in all my travels. For that reason, I chose this hotel for my recent trip, even though their rates were higher than other options. I'll never forget their wonderful eggs benedict at breakfast....what a disappointment... because they no longer serve them. They also ran out of homemade yogurt and a number of other items. It seems to have joined the ranks of a nice hotel with a average buffet breakfast. It's a good location at downtown Walla Walla but there are others close by with much lower rack rates.

Room Tip: The bathrooms in the newer wing are tiny.....only one person at a time and then it's difficult t...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
AGMMWHCC, General Manager at Marcus Whitman Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear J S,

I am Dan Leeper, the Assistant General Manager at the Marcus Whitman Hotel and Conference Center.
I am glad that your first stay was so memorable that you returned again. Our Hot & Healthy Breakfast is one of our guest’s favorite amenities that are included with thier stay. Our overall Food and Beverage philosophy is based on local, regional and seasonal selections. We change the menu periodically to match the season and local product availability. The house made Yogurt is very popular, so we should have been planning ahead and not have ran out, we will talk about this in our Food and Beverage meeting this week. Again I would like to thank you for returning and writing a review of your experience. Give me a call and let us know what we can do to “Make it right”. You can contact me at (509) 524-5105 or agm@mwhcc.com

Dan Leeper