“Negative Experience in your hotel & lounge!!”

Marcus Whitman Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Walla Walla
GreenLeadersGold level
St Louis
“Negative Experience in your hotel & lounge!!”
Reviewed 14 October 2009

I was very frustrated with the front desk agent " Mell" that checked me in to the Marcus Whitman. All I could smell standing there was cigarette smell, I mean really doesn't that wipe the NON-SMOKING policy of the hotel? Then when I returned to question the directions of the location of my room she seemed very irritated to help me as she held a conversation with another co-worker at the counter. When I found my room in the anex "West Wing" I felt like I was placed in a Super 8.

To top off my VERY DISAPPOINTING stay at this hotel was my service in the lounge. The waiter Dan, was not observent to my needs for service. He walked right past my table on multiple occasions without asking if I needed anything, or to remove my empty glasses. Now that is very POOR SERVICE. He acted like he was misrable with his job, yet willing to converse with other co-workers instead of providing proper customer service to guests. I will never return.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL!!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank skyveiw

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
Woodinville
Reviewed 12 October 2009

Our first trip to Walla Walla in decades and were very pleased with our quick one night stay at the Marcus Whitman. Arrived fairly late, but enjoyed the avacado sandwich and a healthy pour of a nice Walla Walla blend for $10.( would have been 15 to 20 in Seattle) Service was prompt and attentive. Our room on the 3rd floor was nice and extremely quiet, somewhat surprising considering the hotel was fully occupied. Beds and pillows comfy. Easy walk to downtown and to Whitman college if you want a little exercise. Highly recommend and will stay again if back in Walla Walla.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank mal157
Bainbridge Island, Washington
Reviewed 8 October 2009

I stayed at the Marcus Whitman for one night in late September, 2009, while my son was doing an overnight stay at nearby Whitman College. I got a $139/night rate on Expedia and felt the Whitman was a good value at that price. The room was comfortable and well-appointed - one thing I like is that they haven't done what many other hotels have done and taken over you in-room television as an advertising platform for the extras they want you to buy. If you tune to CNN, turn off the TV and turn it back on - it's tuned to CNN, not the hotel's self-promoting advertising station.

The hotel has grown over time, starting from an older classic hotel, and my room was in the newer tower. Parking was convenient - right outside - and it was an easy drive or walk to Whitman. You are in the center of the charming small town of Walla Walla, and many restaurants and wine tasting rooms are nearby.

The (included) breakfast buffet was great - house-made sausage, eggs, house-made cinnamon rolls, a nice selection of pastries and fruit.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 23 September 2009

I recently returned from a business trip to New Orleans, where
I stayed at one of the big hotel chains known as a model for service
excellence. While I was at this hotel (which was fabulous in both
accomodation and service) I recalled my two night stay at your hotel
back in June of 2009.

I felt compelled to write you and share with you that throughout my
recent business trip, I kept thinking about the amazing customer service
I received in your hotel, the beautiful rooms, the friendliness of
everyone in your hotel that I interacted with. I want to thank you for
an experience that, in my book, topped a hotel that is supposed to be a
leader in both luxury and service.

Thank you so much! Every person I encountered back in June, from my
first phone call to saying goodbye to the shuttle driver was absolute
perfection!! I apologize that I did not write you sooner!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
Carson, WA.
Reviewed 21 September 2009

This was our first time to travel to Walla Walla which is about 4 hrs. from our home in Carson. We love wine and wanted to stay in a hotel that was close to the tasting rooms. This hotel surpassed all expectations as didn't think a small town like Walla Walla would have such a "first class" hotel. We loved the old time charm mixed with all the modern conveniences. Our room was a very nice 3 room suite with a king size bed and refrigerator. We called them direct and asked them if they could match the travelocity rate and that was no problem. We also found out that they are a dog friendly hotel in a dog friendly town. We brought our shi-tzu and she had a great time too prantzing around the town. We also enjoyed the full breakfast that comes with your room rate. It is an excellent buffet with lots of good choices. We had my husbands birthday dinner at the Mark, and the service was excellent along with the scallops, ribeye, and pesto mashed potatoes. We look forward to going back to this beautiful area and wine tasting. We will certainly go back and stay at the Marcus Whitman.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Gig Harbor , wa.
Reviewed 20 September 2009

Once again we had ourselves a wonderful evening with the Bear at the Chef''s Table.. Great rack of lamp with local wine paring, along with seasonal ingredients. Bear's fun and personal attention to our needs along with setting in the middle of his kitchen was the best. Good value.

Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
tualatin oregon
Reviewed 9 September 2009

The first evening we checked in we asked the hotel where would be a really nice place to have dinner that night and she suggested their own restaurant/lounge. We said great - we would try. It was a nightmare experience. We had a rude waiter/server and the lounge manager finally got involved and she did not charge us for the meals but at that point it really didn't make a difference. The next 3 days we asked several wineries and the golf course and they all said that they had heard of really bad experiences at the hotel; in fact, one person told an identical story to ours and they had reported it to the hotel manager just that same month or so. There are many great restaurants/bars in town but this is not one of them and the management doesn't back the visitor up. Stay away!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business