“Nice location, quiet room - prefer Tower”

Marcus Whitman Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Walla Walla
GreenLeadersGold level
portland, oregon
“Nice location, quiet room - prefer Tower”
Reviewed 6 July 2010

My wife and I stayed at the MW hotel on our most recent trip to Walla Walla instead of a bed and breakfast. We really like the B&Bs, but hate having to get up at a specific time for breakfast. The MW hotel was a great place to get some sleep.

We stayed in a room on the 5th floor of the older "tower" which is the part of the hotel built in the 1920s, but it has been updated with modern amenities. Since my main requirement of a hotel is a place to get a good night's sleep, I will say that my expectations were met. Bed was comfy, room was quiet and I was not annoyed during the night by inconsiderate people. The shower was a little funky and the heat/cool system was noisy, but it was par for the course for an older hotel.

The location of this hotel is nice, we could walk 1 block to the Farmer's Market on the weekend. We were able to walk easily to many downtown restaurants and wine bars. In a city that is becoming more well known for great wines, being able to walk is a big plus for me since driving after drinking is not a good idea.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
Red Lodge, Montana
Reviewed 1 July 2010

Walla Walla is a great town but it is made even better by the Marcus Whitman Hotel. The town is perfectly located downtown, within walking distance of shops, restaurants, and wine bars. The staff is extremely professional. The accommodations are excellent. They even serve a good breakfast buffet. I participated in a conference here and recommend the hotel as a conference facility as well.

Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed 1 July 2010

This vintage charm of this place is great. You'll want to hang out in the bar lounge or lobby for hours. My room was small but could hold a king. My only complains are the door key cards, which deactivate when anywhere close to a cell phone and the fact that bellmen don't start working until 11 am. I asked the staff to please address the card situation at check-in with guests so they can at least have some warning and know why they keep getting locked out. This is a mobile society. I wonder if more hotels are having this problem.

• Stayed June 2010
Montana
Reviewed 30 June 2010

We organized a conference of 300 plus. Attendees to the conference booked the entire hotel. Two dinners and an elegant food & wine pairing was on the agenda. The food and service was excellent. The conference services and staff were exceptional. The hotel did whatever it took to get the job done and done right. It wasn't uncommon to see the owner of the hotel next to the GM turning tables with the rest of the staff for the next event. Edie Paden - the catering director - is truly amazing! As is the entire hotel staff. I spent a week in the hotel and I'm in contact with each of our 300 plus conference participants. There is not one complaint amongst all of us. The rooms, the location, the service, the WiFi, everything is excellent! In fact, the praise for the organization of the conference has been overwhelming and this is a direct result of the hotel's impressive organizational skills and dedication to exceeding expectations. Thank you Marcus Whitman Hotel!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Kirkland, Washington
Reviewed 30 June 2010

We spent three nights in the lovely "Eisenhower Suite" celebrating my husband's birthday. Had a day of wine tasting (hired a private car) and enjoyed some nice restaurants for dinner and also a day of golf. The room was immaculate and well appointed. Friendly staff at the front desk. The complimentary breakfast is a bonus with good food and service. The only negative we experienced was having to locate a baggage cart and be responsible for our luggage which included two sets of golf clubs. It is way too nice a hotel to not provide this service.
We would definitely return on our next visit to Walla Walla!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Denver
Reviewed 10 June 2010

After my room in the new wing was discovered to have ants, I asked to be switched to another room. Cheri, the desk clerk, tried very hard to help but had to call two people to get permission to move me out of the ant room because the only available rooms were suites. After 30 minutes of discussions and calls, I was moved to a suite room at 10:30pm. I mostly travel to Hiltons and I guarantee you that if this had happened at one of their hotels, this process would have been much more streamlined and Cheri would have been able to do her job much more efficiently. Very disappointing.

All that being said, the new suite room in the old part of the hotel was very nice. Much nicer than the newer building where the rooms were more like a upper end budget motel.

The food at our conference was fabulous and the hotel was in a great location.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Walla Walla, WA
Reviewed 20 May 2010

My wife and I have cruised and eaten at some great resturants in our 37 years together. On Mother's Day, we we opted to have brunch at the Marc in Walla Walla. WOW! I'm going to be honest and say it was not the best we have ever had, but it was certainly equal to the best. The dining room and serving area were beautifully arranged and decorated with ice sculptures and flowers. The food was a fantastic selection from breakfast through dinner with an array that varied from eggs anyway, all the breakfast meats & varieties of potatoes, pastries with clotted cream, fresh fruit of every kind, succulent prime rib & ham..............but wait, there is more!
The seafood selection was outstanding. Fresh salmon and some of the best oysters I have ever had in my life.
The dessert array was killer. The Marc has a pasty duo that will put winter insulation on you in a heartbeat! From chocolate mousse to stawberry shortcake and everything in between in serving sizes that you can taste it all.
The real pleasure was the service, from the Hotel Manager that cordially greeted and checked on everyone to the wait staff that anticipated your every wish.
In a town the size of Walla Walla, the Marcus Whitman is a prize. I would put it up against the major hotels in any city!
My wife hopes for a repeat on Father's Day.

Bill